Prev Next
Re: IM St.George run course [Jwizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to the State Park website that has the current temp listed:
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/sand-hollow/

Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm headed down next weekend to ride the course and swim the lake. I've only been to Snow Canyon once and that was doing the Red Rock Relay and I ran down the canyon. I'm not a good climber so I'm a little worried about all the elevation gain on the ride and run.
Some of you guys are making me more nervous and some of you are making me feel better about my first half. I think I'll be up and down for the next 31 days.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man I'm glad I started this thread. I'm psyched for the race. I've done halves with gruelingly hard bike courses before, but I can't think of one that I've done with very tough bike AND run courses. Awesome, a true race. I think I'm in ~1:40 run shape on a rolling course now (did a training 13.1 in 1:37:30 with 600+ feet of climbing last week), so I'll see if I can break 1:55 in St.G!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
I'm not that fast, but I'm so antsy to get to those last 3 miles! 5 weeks can't come sooner.

Enjoy the whole process.
Being nervous, suffering through hard workouts and a hard fought race- is all part of the process.

That's something that gluttons don't understand about endurance sports. It is that suffering that makes the payoff oh so sweet. Bring on the hills and bring on the post-race food.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
RudeDude wrote:
I'm not that fast, but I'm so antsy to get to those last 3 miles! 5 weeks can't come sooner.

Enjoy the whole process.
Being nervous, suffering through hard workouts and a hard fought race- is all part of the process.

That's something that gluttons don't understand about endurance sports. It is that suffering that makes the payoff oh so sweet. Bring on the hills and bring on the post-race food.

As long as the post race food is decent, which I find happens less and less. Luke warm Dominos pizza is not what I want after a hard effort.

Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you, but you could feed me dirt and I'd eat it. Not sure whether I'd prefer lukewarm pizza or veggie burgers (served at Muncie last year), but still looking forward to it.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I hear you, but you could feed me dirt and I'd eat it. Not sure whether I'd prefer lukewarm pizza or veggie burgers (served at Muncie last year), but still looking forward to it.

I'm just asking for a little effort. Hell, forget the post race spread, lower the entry fee $5, and invite several local food trucks. They'd love to come (captive audience = $$$) and the food would be better. I'd much rather shell out some dough for, I don't know, pulled pork sliders with mango salsa, then eat 'free' baked beans from Costco and a burger that was grilled four hours ago.

Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummed to have to miss it this year - my favorite race destination even though I've never had a good race there. Did the 140.6 in 2012 and found myself crying for my mama during the swim and then turning into a whiny crying bitch on the bike and a grumpy exhausted jog-walker on the run for a 15h IM. Went back in 2013 for the 70.3 with the sole mission of having fun to make up for the lack of fun from the year before (mission accomplished). Then came back in 2015, untrained after injury and not heat acclimated ... had a total blast but poor performance. This year I had big plans but a chronic injury has already resulted in a DNS. But I absolutely love this event and the town, maybe next year I'll finally commit to create my own training camp for a weekend on the roads and trails...
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh, count me in. I've never been but seems like a good place for a camp. I certainly won't be heat acclimated with the winter/spring we've been having up here in WA.

Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StuckJB wrote:
Here the gains/losses by mile i just looked (i check a few and this is pretty average):

1. 109
2. 113
3. 177
4. 99
5. -220
6. -35
7. 83
8. 46
9. 14
10. -74
11. -85
12. -112
13. -110

Again, you'll see variances if you check a few different files but its pretty consistent overall. Its going to be a tough run and, yeah, the quads are probably going to be hurting after the last 4 miles down hill.

So the way I see this is that it's really about getting to mile 9 (easier said than done) and being able to run downhill with gravity assist back home (again easier said than done).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Oh man I'm glad I started this thread. I'm psyched for the race. I've done halves with gruelingly hard bike courses before, but I can't think of one that I've done with very tough bike AND run courses. Awesome, a true race. I think I'm in ~1:40 run shape on a rolling course now (did a training 13.1 in 1:37:30 with 600+ feet of climbing last week), so I'll see if I can break 1:55 in St.G!

Looks like we are somewhat similar. I ran a 1:38 at Whidbey HM in 2016, just a few weeks prior to splitting 1:51 for the run at St. George. IIRC, Whidbey has about 600 feet of climbing. YMMV, particularly if the temps soar like they did in 2015.

Overbike going into Snow Canyon and you are in for a long day. Ride smart and set up your run. We both know that advice applies to every race. But St. George exposes it more than most.

I used BBS to create the course profile in Trainer Road and hammered that virtual ride over and over to dial in what worked for me. I'd recommend the same if you are a Trainer Road/Best Bike Split user. Might as well make the most of your trainer sessions during our endless PNW winter!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [tb801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tb801 wrote:
I'm headed down next weekend to ride the course and swim the lake. I've only been to Snow Canyon once and that was doing the Red Rock Relay and I ran down the canyon. I'm not a good climber so I'm a little worried about all the elevation gain on the ride and run.
Some of you guys are making me more nervous and some of you are making me feel better about my first half. I think I'll be up and down for the next 31 days.

Did you pre-ride? How was it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here and it's been a windy spring. The weather report looks like Saturday will be no different. The bike should be interesting, hopefully the wind doesn't really kick up until later in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did ride most of the course and it wasn't near as bad as I had it in my head. We didn't do the first 8 or so miles since I've done that before. We rode from Hurricane up Snow Canyon and back to Hurricane. 60 miles and 4450 ft. Snow Canyon wasn't really all that bad and I'm not a good climber. I did learn that I need to eat and drink a whole lot more or I'm going to dehydrate quickly. I'm really glad I was able to make the trip because I leaned a lot about my nutrition.
We swam in Sand Hollow as well and it was COLD!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [tb801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tb801 wrote:
I did ride most of the course and it wasn't near as bad as I had it in my head. We didn't do the first 8 or so miles since I've done that before. We rode from Hurricane up Snow Canyon and back to Hurricane. 60 miles and 4450 ft. Snow Canyon wasn't really all that bad and I'm not a good climber. I did learn that I need to eat and drink a whole lot more or I'm going to dehydrate quickly. I'm really glad I was able to make the trip because I leaned a lot about my nutrition.
We swam in Sand Hollow as well and it was COLD!

Rad. What were the descents like? Anything hairy?

Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would you recommend for a pre-race ride/run shake out? Is it feasible to ride the course in reverse from town to the swim venue? Any good place to run by the reservoir?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can really get moving once headed into town for the final 10 or so miles but it's not dangerously steep at all. The wind does create some concern though. It was coming out of the SW and that road goes in a S to SE direction which creates crosswind issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do everything easily around the reservoir. The road that the course basically starts on, southern pkwy, is great for riding with a large shoulder. Go right on that and it heads out toward the airport and highway, so it's a long road with no lights/intersections. You can run very easily around the res as well. Riding the course backwards to the lake is a common route around here, good shoulders and easy to navigate. The roads around snow canyon (snow canyon blvd) are also good and what I ride most often into Ivins.
Quote Reply

Prev Next