Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else?
Quote | Reply
Only rarely during training do I have an issue with the contact lenses. One time, maybe of 100's of sessions.

However...during my last 70.3 late last season, both fell out and Im guessing it was because of racing and fluid status(dehydration and dryness).

At Oceanside only one fell out on the ride. Makes the T2 re-racking a little tricky amongst the 2000 rack spots.

Weird how it never happens on training days.

Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up contacts ans went to Rx swim goggles then oakley rx sun glasses for bike and run.

Just one less thing to think about plus if i lost a contact on the bike i'd kill someone as my rx is -5.5
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certain glasses are better or worse for my contacts on the bike. Some glasses allow the air to come in sideways which really seems to screw with my contacts. Do you have any different glasses you could try? Once I found a working combination, I've never had any issues with my contacts, swim/bike/run.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. That was my other thought as well. But in retrospect...I had different sunglasses for both of those. So dang, I guess not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I complained to my optometrist that the wind would dislodge my contacts sometimes and he said that different contacts had different curvatures on them and came up with some that would fit my eyeballs better, and they were definitely better. Also as mentioned above, certain sunglasses and shapes do better and worse for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, in crits or on the track I'd often lose one or both contacts (dailies) but never my bi weeklies. Eventually I complained and was given different different dailies to try.found some that worked for me, no more issues.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four things can happen.

1. Your contacts are falling easier out than earlier models you have had.
2. You glasses creates turbulence that suck up your contacts from your eyes.
3. During competition you are blinking less, more in the zone.
4. A combination of all.

I had a pair Oakleys that were not good for my contacts. Only time in 30 years of using contacts I have had problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that may be part of the problem re: dailies. I just got those last year but so unusual that it never happens in training. Back to the drawing board...

I almost even put an extra contact in my repair kit that raceday. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I gave up contacts ans went to Rx swim goggles then oakley rx sun glasses for bike and run.

Just one less thing to think about plus if i lost a contact on the bike i'd kill someone as my rx is -5.5

This is exactly what I want to do this year - now I just need to make sure I don't lose the goggles in the swim. Do you run from water to transition with them on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been racing for about five years now and I've literally never had an issue. I couldn't imagine switching to rx goggles/glasses... That would be an absolute nightmare. Crazy. I wear bi-weekly lenses and change them every 3 months or so.

That student budget...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing in contacts 30+ years and have NEVER had a problem no matter the conditions or distance. I have tried various sunglasses in training and some are much better that others for contact comfort. I have stuck with Oakley M-Frames for biking and never have problems with them.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got get LASIK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost mine several times one year. Had Lasik and never looked back. Wish I had done it sooner
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Kmonie360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and i also have to put the in earlier before to see where i am going but i like them more than contacts
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Certain glasses are better or worse for my contacts on the bike. Some glasses allow the air to come in sideways which really seems to screw with my contacts. Do you have any different glasses you could try? Once I found a working combination, I've never had any issues with my contacts, swim/bike/run.

Yep, you want glasses that vent well without creating a draft inside. Not easy to find that perfect combo, but it can be done.

I have a drawer full of sunglasses that I originally bought for cycling, but who are relegated to casual duty just because of the draft inside at 15+ mph.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 4, 17 22:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:

However...during my last 70.3 late last season, both fell out and Im guessing it was because of racing and fluid status(dehydration and dryness).

Anyone else?

I got a new helmet: giro aerohead mips, and the second time I trained with it one of my contact lenses fell out. I never had that problem before. I hoped the reason was not the pleasant air stream which the holes in the visor provide for. But shit, that's probably the case reading through the posts here.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming to think of it:

Next time I buy an expensive pair of shades, I bring my wife's hairdryer.

windschatten wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Yep, you want glasses that vent well without creating a draft inside. Not easy to find that perfect combo, but it can be done.

I have a drawer full of sunglasses that I originally bought for cycling, but who are relegated to casual duty just because of the draft inside at 15+ mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes this has happend to me as well, often downhill.

The reason is very straight forward for me:
When in aero position you are kinda turning your eyes "up", to stare ahead and forget to blink thus drying out the eyes, causing them to fall out.
When i was younger this could happen for me as well when playing computer super focused and again forgetting to blink to moistre the eyes.

What i have learned to prevent them for doing it:
1) Remind myself to blink often
2) Always wear Sunglasses, they protect from the wind that dries out the eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Johnnyfever wrote:

Anyone else?

I got a new helmet: giro aerohead mips, and the second time I trained with it one of my contact lenses fell out. I never had that problem before. I hoped the reason was not the pleasant air stream which the holes in the visor provide for. But shit, that's probably the case reading through the posts here.

I have always used contacts in races, otherwise I rarely wear them. I used the giro mips areohead for the first time in IMSA this past weekend. It was hot and windy. No issues with my contacts.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an optometrist and agree with Halvard.
I suggest you try another brand. Contact lenses do differ in how they dry out on people's eyes. There is no brand that is always better, like the ones with more moisture, more breathablity, more whatever. You need to find the right one for you.
Many years ago in my ultrarunning days I got major corneal edema during a 100-miler with the most breathable lens on the market at the time. I went back to my lenses with lower breathability and was fine. So you just never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will I have problems with my contacts while riding wearing regular sun glasses, yes. But, if I wear my Smith Optics Pivlock V2 Max glasses, I have no problem at all. While they aren't cheap, they come with 3 different colors of lens to better suit the environment you're riding in, and block 99% of the wind that makes your eyes dry out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try another brand or style. I wear Acu-Vue moists, and have never had an issue in training or a race, although I've always worn sunnies - either Rudy Horus or Smith Pivlocks. But now that I have an Aerohead I don't wear glasses, as riding in that helmet is like riding in a bubble - I really like it and the visibility is better anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Contact lens wearers? Mine dry and fall out on the bike leg, anyone else? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great input everyone thanks!
I think the aeroposition looking upwards has serious validity!
Plus, also been meaning to check out those Pivlocks!! Haha.Nows my chance.

JF
Quote Reply