Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit choice
Quote | Reply
I have a possibility to buy a Blueseventy Helix for $125 used but in good condition. I don't know what model year but I believe it is a model from the last year or two. I already have an xterra vortex that's about 3 or 4 years old. Both are full sleeve wetsuits. Would there be a significant performance advantage to the Blueseventy?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Advantage? Yes. Significant? Depends on your definition of significant............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm already a 23-24 min half ironman swimmer, is it the kind of advantage that will save me 10 seconds or the kind that'll save me 30+?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe but I think you can get a new wetsuit for around the same amount and still boost your time just as much. Over time wetsuits loose flexibility and bouency.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I have a possibility to buy a Blueseventy Helix for $125 used but in good condition. I don't know what model year but I believe it is a model from the last year or two. I already have an xterra vortex that's about 3 or 4 years old. Both are full sleeve wetsuits. Would there be a significant performance advantage to the Blueseventy?

Well finding out the model year cold be important. I used the Helix way way back in the day, like 2008-2009 and it was great suit but it has gotten way better with basically restriction free swimming in the shoulders. The whole arms is super thin on the newer suits is awesome.

Regardless the most important thing is that it fits. And all the wetsuit companies have taken the Kohls approach. Nobody pays retail anymore for suits that is a suckers game. 25% on BlueSeventy new if you are ever interested.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to buy a MT Helix (I have an MT Fusion and ML Reaction, the Fusion is tighter but the Reaction is too short in the torso - zipper let go at the base I had to repair)

Any just on chat with B70 and they are on sale $680 asked about the code but they won't ship to Vancouver Canada!!

Any workarounds? Thks

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I'm looking to buy a MT Helix (I have an MT Fusion and ML Reaction, the Fusion is tighter but the Reaction is too short in the torso - zipper let go at the base I had to repair)

Any just on chat with B70 and they are on sale $680 asked about the code but they won't ship to Vancouver Canada!!

Any workarounds? Thks

I think Trisports ships to Canada still. That might be the best option. You can always save 15% but likely can do better while waiting.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did find a local "Triboutique" that had a Helix MT in stock.

It's an interesting suit this Helix. First off it fits unbelievably close, I had to pull the neck seal out to let some water in.
As discussed the arms are very thin which is a great thing - both for mobility and for speed. It swims a lot like a sleeveless suit yet the water flows over like a full.
It doesn't feel bulky or even buoyant, like my older Reaction, which feels like I have a chest of cardboard.
Zipper starts at the top. Bit of a PIA but the neck collar feels really good.

Did a time-trial appears to be around 15 seconds quicker on 400M OWS vs my 5 year old Fusion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I did find a local "Triboutique" that had a Helix MT in stock.

It's an interesting suit this Helix. First off it fits unbelievably close, I had to pull the neck seal out to let some water in.
As discussed the arms are very thin which is a great thing - both for mobility and for speed. It swims a lot like a sleeveless suit yet the water flows over like a full.
It doesn't feel bulky or even buoyant, like my older Reaction, which feels like I have a chest of cardboard.
Zipper starts at the top. Bit of a PIA but the neck collar feels really good.

Did a time-trial appears to be around 15 seconds quicker on 400M OWS vs my 5 year old Fusion.

It is a really nice suit and yes the arms and shoulders are so thin it is almost crazy. I really like the the Helix I had in 2009 but the new suit is just plain awesome. I watched a lot of BlueSeventy's pro athletes move to Roka after sponsorship dollars at BS dried up. I get it, many just want a check and think they can do just fine in any top tier suit, which probably isn't far from the truth, but it was amazing how many openly communicated their preference for the Helix. It is a great suit. Expensive, but very nice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice, I just bought a new Helix in April and was waiting patiently because my size was sold out everywhere and needed one bad. The one I had before was the a few years older but this one is pretty amaizing. I haven't tried any others and tend to have brand loyalty no matter what the price is, until the product drastically changes for the worst (Newtons). I've been a Blueseventy Helix wearer since 2008, still have a a PZ3+ that I'll where in a local summer races from time to time. Good company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X3

The Helix is a great suit. When you buy it at race weight you need to stay there for it to work well though :-(

Also a great company. Sean Clarke their western Canada Rep came up and did a full demo and fit at our pool.

Super thorough guy and he knows triathlon and wet suits very well.

Maurice,
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current long sleeved wetsuit bit the dust. I have ordered 4 high end wetsuits from different companies to compare. Interested to see which one comes out on top...and I keep. They all make claims they are the most flexible, fastest, etc.

Any suggestions on how to compare performance? Obviously flexibility is a feel thing....and that will be top of mind....my last LS Suit really wore me out for long swims. Figured I would try to hold a similar RPE while swimming with each (in a pool).....open turns, easy push off the wall and swim 300 - 500 yards in each and compare times??
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude did some testing a while back:

http://accelerate3.com/wetsuit-test-results/

Maybe he will chime in here.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
My current long sleeved wetsuit bit the dust. I have ordered 4 high end wetsuits from different companies to compare. Interested to see which one comes out on top...and I keep. They all make claims they are the most flexible, fastest, etc.

Any suggestions on how to compare performance? Obviously flexibility is a feel thing....and that will be top of mind....my last LS Suit really wore me out for long swims. Figured I would try to hold a similar RPE while swimming with each (in a pool).....open turns, easy push off the wall and swim 300 - 500 yards in each and compare times??

I did some wetsuit testing back in the day in the pool. The sleeveless always won but that can be explained by the fact that I was overheating in the LS. I think to really test wetsuits you have to get lucky with a broken heat pump or find some open water spot with a course. In Florida, we have 400 course with poles every 25m so you can swim straight and be more consistent. I plan to do this testing this winter, the water is way too warm at the current moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a new helix this year and was partial to it. I felt a bit slower due to where they had more neoprene added compaired to my xterra vengeance. It was almost making me to boyant in the water. But what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. See if you can test swim with the used helix.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [scow1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scow1 wrote:
I purchased a new helix this year and was partial to it. I felt a bit slower due to where they had more neoprene added compaired to my xterra vengeance. It was almost making me to boyant in the water. But what works for me may not work for you and vise versa. See if you can test swim with the used helix.

I plan to do some testing but it is going to be a while. Water temp is in the high 80s at a minimum right now. Ideally I wold like the water temp to get down to the 70 degree range to test. Anything warmer and it influences results based in favor of the suit that keeps me cooler.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

Hope you got an @Blueseventy Helix in the mix. I hate be a blubbering B70 fool but this suit is some spectac sports engineering. It's hard to say how to test a suit because there are these sort of "zen" factors that you can't put your fingers on, or nails in to. I just got done a mile loop "TT" in the Helix on the lake here and obliterated my best time by a lot!

I'll give it a shot on how I think this thing works:

First off, the Helix transcends from being wetsuit to an engineered swim appliance. The position in this suit and the application of materials means I can swim more naturally & use a proper kick. My other suits it was frustrating because the kick seemed to be dumbed out by all the floatation. And I'm not that good a kicker, but I do like to kick so I can work on it. So big !yay! right there position and kick.

Initially I kinda thought & even felt ripped off :) because there wasn't much "suit" (ie less buoyancy). But it's the placement and the materials that make all the difference. The floatation materials must be EVA based cause this suit is very light, which is great. On me it fits compressive & tight, but still allows my chest to expand with minimal restriction.

And of course the shoulder and upper area are paint-on so I think once that is broken-in brother the arms will fly.

I have to pester someone to zip the thing up and that rules out the early morning stints. I still have my other dinosaur rubber :P

Last edited by: SharkFM: Jul 29, 17 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Hope you got an @Blueseventy Helix in the mix. I hate be a blubbering B70 fool but this suit is some spectac sports engineering. It's hard to say how to test a suit because there are these sort of "zen" factors that you can't put your fingers on, or nails in to. I just got done a mile loop "TT" in the Helix on the lake here and obliterated my best time by a lot!

I'll give it a shot on how I think this thing works:

First off, the Helix transcends from being wetsuit to an engineered swim appliance. The position in this suit and the application of materials means I can swim more naturally & use a proper kick. My other suits it was frustrating because the kick seemed to be dumbed out by all the floatation. And I'm not that good a kicker, but I do like to kick so I can work on it. So big !yay! right there position and kick.

Initially I kinda thought & even felt ripped off :) because there wasn't much "suit" (ie less buoyancy). But it's the placement and the materials that make all the difference. The floatation materials must be EVA based cause this suit is very light, which is great. On me it fits compressive & tight, but still allows my chest to expand with minimal restriction.

And of course the shoulder and upper area are paint-on so I think once that is broken-in brother the arms will fly.

I have to pester someone to zip the thing up and that rules out the early morning stints. I still have my other dinosaur rubber :P

Yep...it is in the mix. Don't care which brand wins.....I just want the best combo of arm flexibility and speed.....with arm flexibility taking precedent over speed. However, if the one with the most flexibility is a dog....then I will re-evaluate. I hope the companies that lose, live up to their return policy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought brand new top of the line a sleeveless Xterra Vengeance for 150 with coupon code. Hard to beat it at that price
Last edited by: Etexag: Jul 29, 17 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a DeSoto and be even faster!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit choice [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the helix turned out to be a bit too small, and I can't even come close to affording a new wetsuit. Broke college kid and all that. Fortunately my xterra works well enough.
Quote Reply