Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher
Quote | Reply
Flash question....what is the fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher for flat 20-40K time trials, 190# rider? Vittoria Open Corsa TLR? Thanks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Flash question....what is the fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher for flat 20-40K time trials, 190# rider? Vittoria Open Corsa TLR? Thanks :)

"It depends." The shape of the tread of both the Continental Tires - basically all share roughly the same profile - and the Zipp tires themselves are the most aerodynamic. But there are faster rolling tires out there that, in some cases, may make up the difference. The question of whether or not they do is almost certainly a question of yaw angles.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends, I was afraid of that! Would ave speed 27mph help any? And....I've got a conti attack (1st version) on there now, it certainly looks fast. Could I do appreciably better with a newer tire do you think? Thanks again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
It depends, I was afraid of that! Would ave speed 27mph help any? And....I've got a conti attack (1st version) on there now, it certainly looks fast. Could I do appreciably better with a newer tire do you think? Thanks again :)

The higher the speed, the more aero becomes primary. I.e., for fast races, choose the more aero tire. For hillier races or races where the pavement isn't good, you can bias towards Crr.

Once the tire has started to flatten, it's time to replace it. Based on my recollection, when Zipp did tests on a new Continental GP4000S vs one with 400-500mi on it, the aero benefit on the latter was almost entirely gone as compared with other tires.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10-4 thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, the Conti IIs' tread is better than the Zipp tread when it comes to wet conditions.
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:

TJ Tollakson always goes crazy fast on the 20mm supersonic with very few watts relatively speaking. #190lbs might be a little heavy though. I am sure JeffP will chime in.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tire on zipp 808 firecrest clincher [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been getting away with conti super sonic 20c on an H3 wheel for quite a few time trials. (One flat but that was seriously nailing a pothole)

Is the "new" super sonic 20c even a "thing" now? There was chatter that it's a bit bigger and looks suspiciously like the conti TT 22mm tire (or maybe I just dreamt it?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
I've been getting away with conti super sonic 20c on an H3 wheel for quite a few time trials. (One flat but that was seriously nailing a pothole)

Is the "new" super sonic 20c even a "thing" now? There was chatter that it's a bit bigger and looks suspiciously like the conti TT 22mm tire (or maybe I just dreamt it?)

I don't have one but it could very easily be the fastest aero tire in production with great RR. We just don't have any good data.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply