Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mid Week Tempo Run
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get some feedback and see what everyone else does. I have a good idea of where I'd like to go, but would be open to suggestions depending on the feedback.

I've been progressing a mid week tempo run and now that I'm 6 weeks away (after this recovery week) from 1st race of the year (70.3) wanted to make sure I'm on point with certain aspects of the training plan.

After reading the BarryP stuff I realize I'm doing something similar to that (for reference) with 2 easy/short runs and 1 short brick run off long Saturday bike and 2 mid-distance runs sandwiched between the short runs (6-8 miles) and then a Sunday long run. One of those mid-distance runs is an easy zone 2 run with the other being a tempo run.

My progression for that run over the last block has been as follows:

Week 1: 2 x 2 miles @ tempo within 6 mile run (28 mins @ tempo)
Week 2: 2 x 2.5 miles @ tempo within 7 mile run (35 mins @ tempo)
Week 3: 2 x 3 miles @ tempo within 8 mile run (42 mins @ tempo)
Current Week (Recovery Week): open to suggestions but right now have it as just a 6 mile easy run

----------------------
My thought for the next block would be to eliminate the half mile recovery between the 2 x set and just run a sustained tempo effort but cap the run at 8 miles total and keep the total tempo time the same.

Week 5: 4 miles @ tempo within 6 mile run (28 mins @ tempo)
Week 6: 5 miles @ tempo within 7 mile run (35 mins @ tempo)
Week 7: 6 miles @ tempo within 8 mile run (42 mins @ tempo)
Week 8: Recovery Week, open to suggestions (after this week I have a peak week scheduled, then race week following the peak week)

So just looking for what everyone else does and/or what other have had success with in their training. I appreciate any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid Week Tempo Run [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm overwhelmed by all the feedback thank you everyone! Keep debating Jan's flat or if Newton shoes are too expensive or if someone's power imbalances are slowing them down or any of the pointless things that don't help anyone out I'll just be over here waiting for some snarky comments now :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of your tempo progression, that's pretty much what I have done - increase the duration of the tempo and then remove the rest period. I would also consider including a session of faster running as well though, depending on how that fits within your schedule. I think there is a lot to be gained from 5x1km with 5 mins recovery say, or hill repeats/hill running as part of your longer run. I would put that in your other mid length run, but you need to be very aware of your body and religious with your rollering/stretching routines if you are adding more intensity. Perhaps start with 3x1km, depending on all the other factors.
Quote Reply
Re: Mid Week Tempo Run [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input. I've certainly thought about "spicing" up the long run with some quicker pickups or using that 2nd mid-distance run for that and could certainly give it a try this coming week. Good luck with your training this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That next block looks perfect IMHO and it's what I've done with decent success over the previous 5 years for half and full training both standalone and Ironman.

Now if you're young and can handle it, you could also add as suggested a 2nd hard day w/ speed/hills for a total 2 hard runs a week. You could also rotate speed/hills & tempo every other week as well if you feel like you need some speed/strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks fine. You would actually be fine with even continuing your current regimen with thre rests and inching the pace up if you felt like it, but just as good is making the tempo runs more continuous. Ease up on the pace slightly on the continuous ones if you have to - I'm not sure how fast you are running these tempo runs, but anything faster than HM pace + 10sec/mile is a pretty stiff pace, so don't go so hard that you strain something during training.

Just for your reference, I'm currently on a pure marathon training block (no swim/bike) running 75-85mpw on the Hanson Advanced marathon program. In the last 8 weeks of this marathon cycle, I do a Tuesday tempo run that is 6 miles of either 1mi x 6, 2mi x 3, or 3 mi x 2, however it is run at marathon racepace - 10sec/mi, which is pretty close to HM pace + 10sec/mile. It would actually be very hard for me to run them faster than that without going deep into the recovery hole at my weekly mileage. It doesn't sound that fast, but it actually works out to be a pretty tough workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably just mere semantics but aren't you guys pretty much describing "cruise intervals" as opposed to "tempo runs?"
I have always understood tempo runs to be steady, continuous runs of say 20 to 30 minutes at a set pace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw in a progression run once in a while. I like to do a 9 mile progression run and see how low I can go by the end.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply