Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How fast can I run?
Quote | Reply
This is a question mainly for any triathletes who come from running backgrounds/running coaches. This past weekend, I ran a 1:11:00 for my first ever half marathon. I have ran 3 half marathons before, in 70.3's, but this is my first stand alone one. I ran it because the 70.3 training plan Im using only has me running 35-40 mpw with hardly any long repeats. I wanted to make sure I was still in good running shape for how little I was doing. (The plan focuses on swim/bike)

My question is, how fast could I go if I actually trained for a half marathon? My long runs are 11 miles currently, 35-40 mpw, the course was rolling hills, ~260 ft of elevation gain, and I ran the last 9.1 miles by myself. With these things taken into consideration, how fast could I go if I focused on running? I realize this is an estimate but I was just curious if I had competition, higher mileage, experience at the distance, and a faster course, what I could run. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can I run? [Pennstate506] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:10:57 if you're super relaxed.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can I run? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same boat as you - just ran my first half in 1:14 to test for my first 70.3 in May. Not a complete all out effort but I learned a lot that day. I came from a middle distance background and like you run 30-40 mpw and long long intervals.

Better get after that 65 min mark for the trials in a few years

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can I run? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
1:10:57 if you're super relaxed.
Kudos, made me laugh

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off - that's damn fast for an AG triathlete! Most faster AG triathletes are in the high 1:1X range. Not knowing your age and running history it's hard to predict how fast you can possibly run. Are you still in college (Penn State)? Are you talking potential solely based on focused on running, or while training for triathlon?

If you can run 1:11 on 35-40 mpw, you can probably get quite a bit faster on higher mileage. Heck, maxing out at an 11 mile long run is leaving a ton on the table, even for triathlon. I'm only a 1:20 runner for an open half, and generally do a weekly long run of 13-16 miles when training for 70.3. This is running around 35-45 mpw. I look forward to see how your 70.3 run goes - just don't over-bike!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Pennstate506,

I tell you one thing, from your half marathon result, you are flying! I am not a coach but of course with proper training you can go faster, only you can tell by how much. And as you said the course was not even a fast one. Why not get a running coach to reach your full running potential? I would, if I were you. Also, if you need to do some pace estimates/prediction, you can use the running calculator from https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ which I have been using in the past, and prove to be quite accurate...

All the best!

An age group triathlete just like you.
TopTriGear - https://www.toptrigear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would bet you could go AT LEAST 1:06, possibly faster, possibly OTQ (assuming you haven't already been running 15 years or college track or something). As every serious runner learns, there is no substitute for the Trial of Miles. At 35-40 miles per week, you are nowhere near your long-term potential.

Honestly, unless you are planning to make tris a life-long pursuit or to go pro, you should probably just go to running and see what you can do by gradually working up to 90-100 mpw over a few years. And hey, even 100 mpw takes less time than a low-volume tri training approach :)

Awesome job!

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can I run? [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
I would bet you could go AT LEAST 1:06, possibly faster, possibly OTQ (assuming you haven't already been running 15 years or college track or something). As every serious runner learns, there is no substitute for the Trial of Miles. At 35-40 miles per week, you are nowhere near your long-term potential.

Honestly, unless you are planning to make tris a life-long pursuit or to go pro, you should probably just go to running and see what you can do by gradually working up to 90-100 mpw over a few years. And hey, even 100 mpw takes less time than a low-volume tri training approach :)

Awesome job!

so true about the 100mpw being less time than triathlete. I'm an old guy and I practically swim enough to convert to 50 mpw; especially if you consider the time it takes to get to and from the pool, etc. cycling? don't get me started.

I'd say drop the focus to 5 - 10k's (with that mileage) building up and testing the waters. everybody should know their specialty, but you won't know unless you try stuff.

enjoy the journey, maybe use the other sports for recovery of the legs only. You'll still be way faster in tri than most

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I came from a mid-distance background in college, mainly 1500 and 800 ( 3:48 and 1:52 PRs). Right now I'm doing ~10000 yards swimming and 8 hrs of cycling a week. I'd like to go pro in triathlon but we'll see how this year goes. I was just seeing if OQ in 2020 was possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pennstate506 wrote:
Well I came from a mid-distance background in college, mainly 1500 and 800 ( 3:48 and 1:52 PRs). Right now I'm doing ~10000 yards swimming and 8 hrs of cycling a week. I'd like to go pro in triathlon but we'll see how this year goes. I was just seeing if OQ in 2020 was possible.

fair enough - I'm jealous BTW. you've got talent (mine has been on "backorder" for- - - ever). what's wrong with OT in 5,000 or 10,000??? those events seem to be won by the speed demons anyway. Pro tri - can wait. or not. up to you, but OT in running will be a wee bit more "challenging" if you do both.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pennstate506 wrote:

A 3:48 1500 says you have the potential to run a 1:06 half. You might be able to get down to the marathon B standard. Unless you are a really good swimmer already pro in triathlon is going to be super hard at the ITU level.

Quote Reply
Re: How fast can I run? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I go "pro", it would be in the 70.3/140.6 distance...don't have the swim speed for ITU
Quote Reply