Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places?
Quote | Reply
After years of terrible luck with HR straps, the Rhythm is great. No complaints...........other than the forearm placement.

Anyone used it in another spot or two with any luck?

(be nice!)
Last edited by: nc452010: Apr 3, 17 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put it right above my bicep. What doesn't work with the on-arm placement?
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...it works just fine. But, it's tough to put on, once you have a LS shirt on. It makes for a funky suntan line. etc.......

Just wondering if there are viable options. Heck, it may work over a shirt sleeve. I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bicep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Above elbow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
After years of terrible luck with HR straps, the Rhythm is great. No complaints...........other than the forearm placement.

Anyone used it in another spot or two with any luck?

(be nice!)

I had it working OK on the ankle, as long as it was on the same side as my Suunto watch.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the wrist, similar to any wrist-based HRM device.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried it on the inner thigh, read well, but also was giving me values 20bpm high (I was hitting 200bpm regularly on rides, whereas I rarely break 180). I might try and figure out what was up, as otherwise it was a great compromise of no strap/funky tanline.

Just put the sensor puck under the cycling bibs without any strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forearm is annoying, personally. Like many others, I wear mine on the outside of my upper arm, high on the bicep. The downside is with long sleeves you have to remember to put it on first. The upside is pretty flawless performance, that area is fleshy enough, has good blood flow, and is out of the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh...it works just fine. But, it's tough to put on, once you have a LS shirt on. It makes for a funky suntan line. etc.......

Just wondering if there are viable options....[/quote]
Like the others, I wear mine above my bicep. In my case facing forwards works best.
nc452010 wrote:
Heck, it may work over a shirt sleeve. I don't know.
It's an optical sensor. How would you expect it to work through a sleeve?
You need 2 things:
  1. Reasonable bloodflow near the skin
  2. Good contact with the skin that doesn't allow interference from ambient light

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will also work on the calf just above the ankle, but it doesn't stay in place very well. You have to play with it to make it work.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrist for swimming. Upper arm for most else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Above the bicep, in the cleft between it and the shoulder muscle. It stays put really well and worked flawlessly there for me while the forearm often cued into my cadence. Additionally, it'll tuck into a short sleeve.
But, if all you care about is tan lines, switch it to the other arm every other workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put it on my left forearm about 2 inches below the elbow on the inside of the arm. I have never had any issues at all over the past 18 months. The strap isn't large enough for my biceps, so this my best alternative. I am not about wearing two things on my wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:

I'll have to try this. I use an Ambit3 and their own chest strap has memory that dumps to the watch when you're done swimming. I know the Scoshe doesn't have such memory, but at the wrist, right next to the watch, it may keep BT connected, even underwater. (That's sort of a question)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
apache wrote:

I'll have to try this. I use an Ambit3 and their own chest strap has memory that dumps to the watch when you're done swimming. I know the Scoshe doesn't have such memory, but at the wrist, right next to the watch, it may keep BT connected, even underwater. (That's sort of a question)

It works just fine and yes, you have to strap it on right next to the watch (I use a V800). What I am searching for is a more secure strap for the Rhythm. Obviously, one that doesn't block the optical face of the sensor. Any ideas? I have seen a couple of Nato velcro watch straps (in pictures) that would be ideal, but haven't located a commercial source for said Nato straps.

Cheers,
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:
apache wrote:

It works just fine and yes, you have to strap it on right next to the watch (I use a V800). What I am searching for is a more secure strap for the Rhythm. Obviously, one that doesn't block the optical face of the sensor. Any ideas? I have seen a couple of Nato velcro watch straps (in pictures) that would be ideal, but haven't located a commercial source for said Nato straps.

Cheers,
G
I wear the watch exposed on my wrist - past my wetsuit sleeve. So I'll put the Rhythm on under the sleeve. I'll have to think about no wetsuit swims, though.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost one during an open water swim when the velcro came undone and it ended up in Davy Jones' locker. Since then I turned the strap around so that the velcro closure is on the inside and the strap covers it up. Just put it on like normal except with the sensor away from the wrist, tighten to the right amount and then flip it over. I haven't had any trouble with it loosening up after a couple of years of using it this way. I have had it push the buttons on my Garmin 920XT when it's right next to it on the wrist though so leave a bit of a gap there.

For running I wear it on the upper arm at the top of the bicep. Usually it's right even with the end of the shirt sleeve and it works fine on either arm. I have also worn it on an ankle and it worked fine there.
Quote Reply
Re: Any luck with Scoshe Rhythm in alternate places? [Gearz32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearz32 wrote:
I lost one during an open water swim when the velcro came undone and it ended up in Davy Jones' locker. Since then I turned the strap around so that the velcro closure is on the inside and the strap covers it up. Just put it on like normal except with the sensor away from the wrist, tighten to the right amount and then flip it over. I haven't had any trouble with it loosening up after a couple of years of using it this way. I have had it push the buttons on my Garmin 920XT when it's right next to it on the wrist though so leave a bit of a gap there.

For running I wear it on the upper arm at the top of the bicep. Usually it's right even with the end of the shirt sleeve and it works fine on either arm. I have also worn it on an ankle and it worked fine there.
Excellent tip! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried a few things:

1) Using the smaller band on my other wrist. Worked fine. Once in a while would snag velcro on my waist band running and loosen it up.
2) Using the longer band above elbow. This is my winter and indoor position. Works great.
3) Using longer band above my bicep. Occasionally this causes some awesome chafing when I get a little skin pucker.
4) Tucked into waist band of bike shorts. No reliable HR data.
5) Tucked under bike shorts adjacent to me left ITB, just above the knee. Occasional flaky data.
6) Using longer strap, under the cuff of my bike socks. Works pretty good in spin class, less consistent outdoors.
7) On a velcro watch band shared with my 310XT. Makes my left wrist thick enough that it annoyed me running. Strap tended to come loose when swimming and even when I safety pinned it in place, did not give reliable HR in the water.
8) Using longer band, around my neck with pod at the rear. When I put the 310XT in my swim cap they are both happy and the Garmin gives me a nice little buzz every half mile.

All in all it has been an excellent tool as long as I keep it near my elbow. As middle aged boring Dad, I just live with the funky tank lines.

I wear a HR strap in races because the Scoshe strap tends to catch on the jersey lining of my wet suit and stay in T1 while I am jumping on the bike.

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply