Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are there 2 Secretaries of State?
Quote | Reply
In January, Trump said that if anyone can solve the conflict between Israel and Palestine, it is Jared Kushner. He has worked closely with the foreign ministers of Mexico and Canada and held diplomatic meetings with various European and Asian countries. Last week he made a visit to Iraq.

It seems that Rex Tillerson and the State Department are being ignored with Trump relying more on the council of Jared Kushner.

With Jared being the de-facto Secretary of State and Chief advisor to Trump and Ivanka working in the Whitehouse, it looks like the missing pieces are finally in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the term is special envoy and this has been common with different admins. The relationship is a little too close, but the idea of somebody who is not the SOS or part of the State Dept doing this isn't unusual. I believe Kissinger has acted in this role several post Nixon admin times.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I think the term is special envoy and this has been common with different admins. The relationship is a little too close, but the idea of somebody who is not the SOS or part of the State Dept doing this isn't unusual. I believe Kissinger has acted in this role several post Nixon admin times.

The difference was that Kissinger wasn't Nixon's son in law.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case you missed I pointed that out. The op was conflating the two items.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
TheForge wrote:

The difference was that Kissinger wasn't Nixon's son in law.

What difference does it make? Were you complaining when Bill was President and Hillary was walking around the Pentagon liked she owned it (being rude to people even those that tried to tell her they voted for Bill? Were you complaining when Hillary was working on Bill's Health Care plan?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tillerson "ignored"? He was in Turkey for talks earlier last week, and then attended the NATO summit on Friday. That comes a week after a trip to Japan, South Korea and China the week before.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
-
I think you're spot-on. More recently Obama soon after becoming POTUS sent George Mitchell to work a mideast peace deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there 2 Secretaries of State? [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tillerson "ignored"? He was in Turkey for talks earlier last week, and then attended the NATO summit on Friday. That comes a week after a trip to Japan, South Korea and China the week before.

I realize there are a lot of hot spots in the world but brokering discussions between Israel and Palestine and being involved in Iraq would, I think, qualify as something for a Secretary of State. I've read quite a bit on Tillerson and for someone used to calling the shots and who is in a high profile position, I can't believe that he would be 100% behind using Trump's son in law.

Tillerson aside, he seems to be bypassing the State Department a lot lately.

Quote Reply