Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim?
Quote | Reply
If anyone has benchmarks to share, I'd love to hear them. For me right now fast would mean around 27 or 28 minutes. I'm thinking of a set that you've done fairly often, that makes you say, 'yeah, I'm in 27 minute shape now'.

Right now the key set I've been doing (usually once per week) has been 5x500 (SCY) on 15 seconds rest. Not best effort, but smooth and strong, pretty tired at the end. Last week I did them in 6:53--6:54--6:47--6:48--6:42. I'd say right now I'm on target for high-29 in Utah in five weeks.

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Apr 3, 17 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that same workout today, but not those times. Looks like I won't be clocking a 27:00 swim on Sunday.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer: Apr 3, 17 17:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking doing those 500's done in yards, SCM, or LCM?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I should edit that. Short course yards.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
If anyone has benchmarks to share, I'd love to hear them. For me right now fast would mean around 27 or 28 minutes. I'm thinking of a set that you've done fairly often, that makes you say, 'yeah, I'm in 27 minute shape now'.

Right now the key set I've been doing (usually once per week) has been 5x500 on 15 seconds rest. Not best effort, but smooth and strong, pretty tired at the end. Last week I did them in 6:53--6:54--6:47--6:48--6:42. I'd say right now I'm on target for high-29 in Utah in five weeks.

Thanks,
-Colin

Crap. Those​ times make me feel inadequate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pick your races, carefully.....lol. Spend your time on the bike and run.........and sign up for Augusta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too many factors to depend on. How good are your flip turns? How comfortable are you in open water? How good are you at swimming straight? Because of things like that, they just don't translate well unless you figure it out for yourself. Just do your swim sets to the best of your ability and it'll all come together.
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Too many factors to depend on. How good are your flip turns? How comfortable are you in open water? How good are you at swimming straight? Because of things like that, they just don't translate well unless you figure it out for yourself. Just do your swim sets to the best of your ability and it'll all come together.

Well, ummm, yeah, I know. That's why I asked about YOUR benchmarks. I'd like to hear what other people use. Then I'll go and race, and see how to adjust the benchmarks of others to fit me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say if I did that set I would be in 27-28min form, for me that would be without flip turns in pool and with neopren in a race.

Last year I did this with CSS in SCM being 1.30/100m, the first 600 was a bit too fast, 1.28/100. Did a race in 27.20 or so

600 @ CSS (R:1:00)
3 x 200 @ CSS (R:20)
400 @ CSS (R:40)
4 x 100 @ CSS (R:10)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before a 25:43 HIM swim I could do 4-5 x 200 on 2:30 and could very easily make 20 x 100 on 1:20.

My other go-tos are 8 x 300 on 5:00 odds fast, evens easy. It's good to learn pace changes. My easy ones are about 4:15 and the fasts 3:45. There should be a BIG difference like that.

Another good set is 5-8 x 200 best average on 3:00. You want a really low standard deviation in the splits.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam 27:30 at Galveston on Sunday. It was a bit choppy so with smoother conditions I think I could have been faster.

For 6 weeks, every week I swam 10x200 on 2:30 scy to gauge my progression and feel prepared for the effort. By the end of 6 weeks of this I averaged 2:21 coming in. I felt strong through the end of the swim and onto the bike so I'm happy with how it helped me.

If you have better open water skills you may not need to be as fit - I feel like I'm still figuring out open water swimming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam in the 27-28 range before... My 100yd pace is around 1:15... I can hold that on intervals up to 600yd. For example a challenging set I did recently was 100-200-300-400-500-600 on a 1:30 base i.e. 100s on 1:30, 200s on 3:00, 300s on 4:30 etc... averaging around 1:15-16
Another set I like is 10 x 100 on 1:20 - usually hold 1:10 pace on those...
Basically swim 1:17 pace easy, 1:14-15 medium and <1:10 hard. My best 100 is 1:00.66 :) not much of a sprinter.

Some other times I swam: IM 58:00, Olympic 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Before a 25:43 HIM swim I could do 4-5 x 200 on 2:30 and could very easily make 20 x 100 on 1:20.

My other go-tos are 8 x 300 on 5:00 odds fast, evens easy. It's good to learn pace changes. My easy ones are about 4:15 and the fasts 3:45. There should be a BIG difference like that.

Another good set is 5-8 x 200 best average on 3:00. You want a really low standard deviation in the splits.

Meters or yards?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
I swam 27:30 at Galveston on Sunday. It was a bit choppy so with smoother conditions I think I could have been faster.

For 6 weeks, every week I swam 10x200 on 2:30 scy to gauge my progression and feel prepared for the effort. By the end of 6 weeks of this I averaged 2:21 coming in. I felt strong through the end of the swim and onto the bike so I'm happy with how it helped me.

If you have better open water skills you may not need to be as fit - I feel like I'm still figuring out open water swimming!

You are banging out 10x200 at 1.10 pace? I would expect you to be quite a bit faster than 27 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah me too! I have very poor top end speed so I think I tend to get caught up in the traffic at the beginning of the swim, and I think my sighting needs improvement in that I feel that my body position may be significantly affected by it...
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Meters or yards?

Yards.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
Yeah me too! I have very poor top end speed so I think I tend to get caught up in the traffic at the beginning of the swim, and I think my sighting needs improvement in that I feel that my body position may be significantly affected by it...

Why are you getting caught in traffic? you should be on the front row and going 8-9/10 effort for the first 100 yards before settling into a rhythm. yes, sighting matters a lot in that first 100 yards. Also, as you get to the end of that 100 yards look to your left and right for someone to draft behind - preferably someone who is about to overtake you gradually who's just a touch faster than you. if you get onto this person's toes you will go a bit faster with the same or less effort. be vigilant to keep onto your draft around corners and as you swim through slower swimmers from prior waves.
Quote Reply
Re: Benchmarks for fast Half IM swim? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Definitely something to work on this season :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm strange, I know. but I go 27 even consistently (w/wettie). I like these 2 quick and dirty tests/workouts.

Hardest 1,000 (scy) better be under 13min, < 12:50 for high confidence

and...

"pace" 2,000 in ~26:40 (i.e., 1:20 per 100) hard, but with a touch of "reserve"

Best of luck.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 If you swim near 30 min in a 70.3 you should start at the front... you won't get stuck in any traffic trust me. From the local race to IM 70.3 98% of the field swims 33+.

Kay Serrar wrote:
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Why are you getting caught in traffic? you should be on the front row and going 8-9/10 effort for the first 100 yards before settling into a rhythm. yes, sighting matters a lot in that first 100 yards. Also, as you get to the end of that 100 yards look to your left and right for someone to draft behind - preferably someone who is about to overtake you gradually who's just a touch faster than you. if you get onto this person's toes you will go a bit faster with the same or less effort. be vigilant to keep onto your draft around corners and as you swim through slower swimmers from prior waves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Louie Cayedito wrote:

I wish I would have done this Sunday. Ugh. I decided to take the swim easy so I could hit target bike power right away. I forgot that everyone thinks they're Michael Phelps at the start of a 70.3.
Quote Reply