Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
The races he lost from being rattled were Kona 2014 (flat, then a penalty because of a boneheaded/distracted/rattled move trying to insert him back into the paceline), and Oceanside 2017 (you don't get a sidewall tear without hitting something major, you don't hit something major if you're calm and focused, and a pro can change a tire within a reasonable time if he's not distracted by knowing that taking too long will put him out of reach of Sanders--it's been pointed out above how to fix a sidewall tear, and anyone who's ridden as much as Jan knows this when he's not in fact rattled).

But, yes, the being rattled part has a very evident history, even if it doesn't always cost him the win. You mentioned the Wiltshire incident, and I've heard his nerves start to grate in other interviews on other topics. Remember Kona 2015(?) when he was gesticulating toward officials when other cyclists were passing him and causing him to have to drop back? Nobody does that unless they're rattled.

And, even if it's not as big of an issue as I'm speculating, wouldn't it be fun to watch someone try to get under his skin? Maybe not an obvious trash talk like Macca, but more subtle head games like Crowie used to do. That would be grand spectacle.

You refer to Kona '14 and '15..... Really??? In 2014 he made his mistakes on the bike then came from way back at T2 (pretty sure he set the fastest marathon) and ran himself onto the podium. In 2015 he won convincingly! If that is the result of him being rattled then if I was a fellow pro I sure as heck wouldn't try and rattle him!!

It's pure speculation and drawing conclusions from nothing to state that he got a sidewall cut from being rattled at Oceanside.

For the record I think Sanders would have won Oceanside anyway, judging by how easily he closed the gap from the swim. This is more speculation though.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan--my man--you sound rattled.

Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Yeah, they should just race each other virtually by sitting on a trainer at home...

No flats, nobody gets "rattled", and some insane sprint finishes guaranteed.

synthetic wrote:
if you heard l. sanders interview on babbitville.... he mentioned how when he went to kona he was shocked everyone was 'all in' . That they are willing to get every edge risking going on tires most likely to flat. seriously, this has to end. this is man vs elements, not how man can use technology vs the elements. equalize the field. prior to sebby K winning kona, he also flatted. imagine these past 5 years.. if sebby, frodo, and lange hammering it out with out flats and penalities, we would have seen some insane sprint finish. as for drafting it seems the solution .... perhaps maybe with the addition of technology? stay in the zone too long and have an electronic device activate a third brake causing you to drag.

that will be future of sport. zwift on vasa, bike trainer, and treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno' flat- again [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
as for drafting it seems the solution .... perhaps maybe with the addition of technology? stay in the zone too long and have an electronic device activate a third brake causing you to drag.

I think we'd all prefer a more fun solution to drafting - A giant beach ball hits the drafter from the side, knocking them into a ditch. Ironman wants more spectators? I'd pay to see that.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next