Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LTHR 70.3 Pacing
Quote | Reply
I've got my first 70.3 at Busselton Western Australia in 5 weeks.

On Saturday on the 70.3 course I did a 30 minute TT on the bike and lapped my watch for the last 20 minutes to get my LTHR then a few hours later did the same with a run.

For the bike I averaged 172bpm @ 42km/h

For the run 179bpm @ 4:00min/km

I've used the HR to set my zones on Training Peaks but can I use the information for pacing my race?

I don't have a power meter yet.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR 70.3 Pacing [Gonzorini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do a 30 minute swim , 2 hr bike then run an hour at projected pace and use that.
Quote Reply
Re: LTHR 70.3 Pacing [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would expect to ride about 10-15 bpm lower than your LT for your HIM ride. Perhaps even lower if you are a low mileage athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HiM should be z3 effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z2 bike, start you run at top of z2 and settle in low z3 for the first half. Let it rip the last 5k.

Gonzorini wrote:
I've got my first 70.3 at Busselton Western Australia in 5 weeks.

On Saturday on the 70.3 course I did a 30 minute TT on the bike and lapped my watch for the last 20 minutes to get my LTHR then a few hours later did the same with a run.

For the bike I averaged 172bpm @ 42km/h

For the run 179bpm @ 4:00min/km

I've used the HR to set my zones on Training Peaks but can I use the information for pacing my race?

I don't have a power meter yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use your info however you should set lower ranges as others have posted.

Reason being is the buildup of fatigue, you would have spent Time in the swim, time on the bike, by the time you get to the run you may not be able to sustain your LTHR. 30 minute workouts do not compare to 5 HR races.
In practice- Do a swim at race pace then see if you hit the same LTHR on the bike, then same for the run your numbers should be lower to sustain effort.
Happy Training!
Quote Reply