Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Varia Radar
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else have one of these?

I bought one last week, and on the first ride it worked perfectly. 2nd ride not on Saturday so much - my Edge 520 told me it was all connected, but I wasn't getting any car info which was annoying as I was on some windy narrow roads at times.

I did a Google search and couldn't find out much information re trouble shooting etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I did a review for Slowtwitch. What's your issue? Have you tried it again since? On winding roads, it is probably going to struggle the most (though I found it still quite good). If in doubt, make you sure you have the latest firmware loaded.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the icon on the screen is flashing it's not connected. Did you check that? I just shut it all down and restart the computer, make certain it's finished loading then fire up the Varia. Low batt. will cause this but usually you get a message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M-F, Garmin Technical Support (800-800-1020) can be reached with real people to talk you through this. I got help when I moved my Vector power meter pedals to a new bike. They typically pick up within 60 seconds, with Monday being a little busier and longer wait time.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange to see this here today.
Mine died today.
Will not hold charge.
Been fine until now.
Thought maybe it was the Edge 1000 update but the Varia just will not charge.
When plugged in shows one solid Ted light.
The technology is great but what a PITA! ............. like, 90% of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...I've had Garmin problems kind of come at once lately. I have to give them a thumbs up for how they dealt with the situations. The first was a cracked screen on my Vivoactive HR from a crash. I thought I would have to pay the "refurbished" fee, but the guy said they would replace it free of charge. The USB port on my Edge 820 broke, but they sent out a new one right away (temporarily charged my card), so I wouldn't have to wait until they received my old one. I know their products can be flaky (and downright frustrating) at times, but at least they aren't hiding in some corner of the globe ignoring everyone and just collecting our money.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
occasionally the connection will get lost, but a reboot of the computer usually gets that light network working again.

Obviously around corners you will not be able to pick up traffic as well... the radar has to see them after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Yes. I did a review for Slowtwitch. What's your issue? Have you tried it again since? On winding roads, it is probably going to struggle the most (though I found it still quite good). If in doubt, make you sure you have the latest firmware loaded.
To be fair it was only my second ride with it.

Firmware is the latest 3.40 version.

The radar symbol in the top right of my 520 is on, and when I go into settings>sensors>radar I can see it's connected and also a light network has formed.

The issue is its not picking up any vehicles at all nor are the red lights to the side of the display coming on.

The first ride it worked perfectly. Second time nope. I did stop and turn the light off then on again, and no change - it connected but wouldn't do the radar thing. I didn't reboot the 520 though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also make sure your 520 has the latest firmware on it.

The spread on it is pretty wide, so even with a lot of turns, it still does quite a good job of picking up cars.

Do you have the dedicated radar head unit?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The spread on it is pretty wide, so even with a lot of turns, it still does quite a good job of picking up cars.

No just the 520. Pretty sure that's in the latest firmware but will check. As mentioned it worked perfectly first time, and seemed like it was connected the second time. Just not displaying any data. No dots moving to the top, no beeping alert and no red lines.

Will try again next time I'm out - not til next week now as we have Xterra here this weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

No just the 520. Pretty sure that's in the latest firmware but will check. As mentioned it worked perfectly first time, and seemed like it was connected the second time. Just not displaying any data. No dots moving to the top, no beeping alert and no red lines.

Will try again next time I'm out - not til next week now as we have Xterra here this weekend

Did you have the little radar icon in the top right?

Check out Ray's review - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ia-radar-review.html

You should have the little "((((" logo up in the top right at all times.

Also, of course, if you are on the home screen of the 520, hit the "up" arrow to bring up the menu, where you can then see all active ANT+ connections.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Did you have the little radar icon in the top right?

Check out Ray's review - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ia-radar-review.html

You should have the little "((((" logo up in the top right at all times.

Also, of course, if you are on the home screen of the 520, hit the "up" arrow to bring up the menu, where you can then see all active ANT+ connections.
Yeah I did. And did the up arrow the big a few times on the ride and each time it said there was a light network. I was trying to work out if it was connected as a light and radar or just light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my Varia Radar and absolutely love it. That being said, this last round of firmware on the 820 has made its use less then stellar. I've had a similar issue where it showed connected but registered no traffic. I can still get info on my Varia Vision, so I know the radar is working. I find I have the best luck if I turn on the radar and let it go for a minute or so, then turn on my head unit. Hoping its resolved in next firmware update. I am really getting dependent on the radar and truly miss it when its not there.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RyuTan wrote:
I use my Varia Radar and absolutely love it. That being said, this last round of firmware on the 820 has made its use less then stellar. I've had a similar issue where it showed connected but registered no traffic. I can still get info on my Varia Vision, so I know the radar is working. I find I have the best luck if I turn on the radar and let it go for a minute or so, then turn on my head unit. Hoping its resolved in next firmware update. I am really getting dependent on the radar and truly miss it when its not there.
Did a ride with it yesterday morning and still couldn't get it to work.

Checked the settings and it's definitely connected, so I removed the "light network" and still had the radar shown as connected and it still didn't work.

Not really sure what else to do other than take it back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I got the Varia Radar working, but boy does drain the 520 battery quickly. Can get a 2 hour ride done, but don't think it would last a 3 hour ride which is really disappointing.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was ready to order one until I saw this post here. Anyone tried using power bank for back up charge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 5hr ride Sunday and my 510 still had 44%. My daughter has the 520 and after a 2hr ride hers is at 70%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I've never noticed an increased battery drain on my 520 from the radar unit. I had the Varia run out of battery before the 520 does, about 8 hours, while the 520 was good for 10+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Varia but run it with the 810. No noticeable difference on battery consumption. I've ridden 3 hours with it and still have 70ish percent charge left on 810.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Ok I got the Varia Radar working, but boy does drain the 520 battery quickly. Can get a 2 hour ride done, but don't think it would last a 3 hour ride which is really disappointing.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've used mine quite a bit and love it, and see no unusual battery drain of either the Varia or the 520. Did you ever contact Garmin? You perhaps have a bad unit. It sounds like their support is stellar. I'll tell you I will not ride without mine now, and even bought one for a buddy that rides a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great replies - thanks.

I'll do some more rides and go from there. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used with 810-520-1000 and now 820... no abnormal battery drain
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear this device can last longer.
Quote Reply