Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disk brake question
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else ride Barry Roubaix last weekend? If you aren't familiar, it's billed as the worlds largest gravel race and conditions were rather epic in terms of rain, mud, cold, and wind. I'm riding an older Trek CX bike with traditional brakes and had no issues with braking on the downhills, but lost track of the number of people with disc brakes having to resort to using their feet to stop as they were without brakes. This got me thinking, if disc brakes were originally designed and/or used on mountain bikes and are supposed to be superior in wet conditions, why did so many people have to resort to Flintstone style braking? Are the pads just that thin that an hour or two in the gravel basically wore them down like sandpaper? If they can be worn down that easy, aren't you better off with traditional rim brakes in circumstances like that? I understand they have better braking power, but that doesn't seem to help if you can't stop at all. I'm sure there's a simple answer to this and I'm not trying to troll yet another disc brake thread, but this question started bouncing around in my head last night while trying to fall asleep and I thought you folks would have the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Disk brake question [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many had disc brake pads that were almost worn out going into the race. I know they are not as easy to see wear like rim pads. I had a friend go through a set in a long, rainy, muddy MTB race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Organic pads wear much quicker in the rain than metallic. Also it is harder to tell how much your pads are worn like the previous poster said.

This experience isn't unique. Happened to a lot of people at CX nationals a year or two ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Did anyone else ride Barry Roubaix last weekend? If you aren't familiar, it's billed as the worlds largest gravel race and conditions were rather epic in terms of rain, mud, cold, and wind. I'm riding an older Trek CX bike with traditional brakes and had no issues with braking on the downhills, but lost track of the number of people with disc brakes having to resort to using their feet to stop as they were without brakes. This got me thinking, if disc brakes were originally designed and/or used on mountain bikes and are supposed to be superior in wet conditions, why did so many people have to resort to Flintstone style braking? Are the pads just that thin that an hour or two in the gravel basically wore them down like sandpaper? If they can be worn down that easy, aren't you better off with traditional rim brakes in circumstances like that? I understand they have better braking power, but that doesn't seem to help if you can't stop at all. I'm sure there's a simple answer to this and I'm not trying to troll yet another disc brake thread, but this question started bouncing around in my head last night while trying to fall asleep and I thought you folks would have the answer.

I recently bought an Ikea bike with front discs for my rain/winter commuting, the braking in the wet on gravelly roads is second to none.
The pads are obviously brand new tho, my older winter bike has caliper rim brakes, this last winter they were ground down to almost nothing from the salt and grit.

res, non verba
Quote Reply