Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

over 50 crowd, 1st tribike
Quote | Reply
To my more experienced brethren, I ask: I am tired of being the only roadbike rider at tri-events, mostly 70.3. And yes, I am slow. 15 mph avg is working hard for me. My 56 yr old back is a little leary, though, of the tribike position. How do you do it? Lots of stretching? massage? more conservative fit? some time out of aero and onto the horns? just got back on my madone after a winter off, and can barely ride my roadie. If a buy a speedconcept (it's calling my name), how long to be able to ride comfortably? The wife is pushing a domane with aerobars. Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: over 50 crowd, 1st tribike [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you feel like you need an aero bike just because others are riding them at the events you attend? I promise you, whatever anatomical issues you are having (neck, hips, lower back, flexibility, symmetry issues, etc.) they will be amplified in the aero position.

Cheers,
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only half your age, but I've had a fair amount of back issues on the bike. I've always found the aero position way easier on my back, because of the extra weight distributed onto the front end. Good skeletal support through the upper arms really allows the back to relax. I expect this is likely dependent on being able to roll the hips, so the back can be relatively straight.

So if you work on rolling your hips and find a saddle that will allow you to sit like that on the bike, I don't think there's any reason your back should prohibit you from enjoying a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any way you can borrow a tri bike to try it out or buy a cheap used one just to experiment with the position? I started tri about a year ago at 50 and bought my first tri bike out of the gate. I had not ridden a bike in about 25 years. I am fine on it. I had borrowed a tri bike briefly, and that is what motivated me to buy one. And, the one I borrowed was probably a size too small, yet I could still hold the position for a couple hours on my first ride.

The only way to know is to get on a bike and ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 54 and had major lower back surgery 2010 (4 nice titanium screws in my lower back). I also have upper back issues. I too started out with a road bike. After numerous shorter distance Tri's I started stepping up to the 70.3 distance and decided to try and find a Triathlon 🚴. The key is to find one that can put you in to a position that is aero but not put a lot of pressure on where you hurt. Lets face it at our age our aero position will just have to be a little more upright then those young bucks. I had my heart set on a P3, but it was just too aggressive for me. No way to get it to fit me right and make my back feel ok. I tried a bunch of brands and ended up with a QR PR6. The geometry of the PR6 worked for me, to me it's a little less aggressive (whatever that means). A good 🚴 fit is a must, make sure you tell the Tech where you hurt and hopefully they can find a good position for you. I've done five 70.3's so far and the PR6 is working great for me . In fact being in the aero position is much more comfortable than on my Ruibax. Good luck with your search.
Last edited by: zaboaa: Apr 2, 17 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always found a trip bike to be much more comfortable than a road bike. I am older than you and have had back issues as well.
Quote Reply
Re: over 50 crowd, 1st tribike [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for responding. Most of you have said what i heard at a sprint tri yesterday, from some older dudes like me; that is, with the correct fit, one can ride comfortably on a tribike. That has been a consistent report. So, trek speedconcept it will be, as, from all i have read, it has a VERY adjustable front end. and i have a local trek shop. Though QR wins on price, over trek. Thanks to all.
Quote Reply
Re: over 50 crowd, 1st tribike [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because I want to look ridiculously cool, and i want spectators to applaud as I pass, and yell, "OMG, look at that plump little f-----r fly! Life is short, and precious; may as well show some style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
docdave1 wrote:
So, trek speedconcept it will be..., Though QR wins on price, over trek.
You gotta get the bike that lights your fire. 80% of a successful bike purchase is good looks.
Quote Reply
Re: over 50 crowd, 1st tribike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Docdave, I started Tris at 52 I am now 60. Like you I started with a road bike. I then attached aerobars to that and found I liked the "aero" position. But Im really not in an aggressive position. With neck and back problems I sit fairly upright but in aerobars. I purchased a Trek SC but then i figured out it really isnt very flexible to swap out parts to adjust the fit. I now have a Felt B14 and love it. Easy to adjust and has a lot of stack adjustment that is easy to do. Before getting a Trek make sure you get a fitting. The Trek dealer needs to really make sure you get set up with the correct frame size and spacers.
Quote Reply