Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell Me About Thinkpads
Quote | Reply
Saw in the newspaper today that Lenovo's got a pretty good deal on the Thinkpad R50e. Thinking about getting one for the oldest son for college. It's well configured (right amount of memory, disk drive space, wireless, centrino) and priced at $799. Anyone have any experience with this machine or IBM/Lenovo customer service?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Thinkpads [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an R51 Thinkpad. No complaints and it works great. I bought the 5 year warranty. Based on my experience with prior laptops (Winbook) it's money well spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IBM Thinkpads are great machines. I am on my second machine in 4 years. Currently a T42. Very well built, rugged, and reviews are great.
I use mine for business and travel often so it gets used and abused like a Timex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I loved IBM laptops until I started using Dell. I've had a lot less problems with Dell laptops.

However, the prices between Dell and IBM are similar, and the internal components are just about all the same. I get all my service from my company so I've never had to deal with Dell or IBM, but I hear that Dell is much better with customer service. I would line up two from Dell and IBM and compare what you get as far as upgrades and components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old IBM thinkpads are terrific machines. We have owned many of them, with almost never any problems.

I haven't bought anything since Lenovo took over though, so I can't say if anything has changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell Me About Thinkpads [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a computer service business and repair shop and all of our on site techs all have IBM think pads. We haven't bought anything since Lenovo took over, however. From a repair shop point of view, we receive a lot of Dells, Compaqs, HP's, etc that have physical component issues-not built very durable etc.

If you don't have a high end business deal with Dell though a company, you tend to end up talking 9 out of 10 times it seems to someone in India that can be difficult to understand. We have had tons of customers stop using Dells for this reason. We haven't seen that issue w/ IBM, but again, that is before Lenovo took over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go through 1-2 laptops per year for work. I'm pretty hard on 'em. Currently using the T42. It seems fine. The majority of my problems have been due to hard drive failures.
Quote Reply