Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Aquabike Target Power
Quote | Reply
It's late, I've had a few beers and am laying in bed thinking about the upcoming season. I'm disappointed I can't race the 70.3 I had planned for early in the year due to an ongoing IT band injury when I realized they have an aquabike. I've never really looked into an aquabike, and not surprisingly there isn't a lot out there in terms of how to tackle the bike portion of the race. I would think you treat it like a time trial for the last bit, but that doesn't seem like a sound way to tackle the entire race. Is there a general rule as to what would be a good % of FTP to target for the race? I guess the better question is what percentage can a normal person hold for 2.5 hours or so? Th reasom I ask is that I looked at last years results and think I am in the realm of entertaining the notion of having a shot at the podium, though it could be the beer talking! Regardless, signing up for a race like that would be a good way to revitalize training these last few weeks as Mother Nature tries to finally get rid of winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think target % is a little silly, IMO as a whole. Trying to chase a number verses racing.

i would focus on negative splitting the bike and really build to being able to crush the last hour.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TF,

Everyone's power/duration curve will be a bit different but it sounds like you have some time to experiment between now and the race. I'd hope that you could hold an IF of .9 for the duration and perhaps a few percent more. I'd try a 2 hour ride with that sort of IF targeted and see how it goes. It would be a good sweet spot session and very specific to the race. You can adjust from there.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
I think target % is a little silly, IMO as a whole. Trying to chase a number verses racing.

i would focus on negative splitting the bike and really build to being able to crush the last hour.

Just race. Leave it on the course. One of many reasons I have zero desire to have any power stuff on my bike.
I wonder what folks do if their tech stuff do not work right in a race, do they quit? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

Just race. Leave it on the course. One of many reasons I have zero desire to have any power stuff on my bike.
I wonder what folks do if their tech stuff do not work right in a race, do they quit? :)

Dave,

It's more than a bit ironic that a guy with not one but four Velotrons would feel compelled to respond. Have you ever ridden with a power meter outdoor? Will you quit training all together if your Velotrons all break down? Oh yeah that's why you have four just in some of them expire you'll always have one to fall back on;)

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in the same boat. The best part of the aquabike is at the end, when you blow past everyone else slowing to prepare for the run!

FWIW, on a Half AB, I ride the first half as I would for full tri, pick it up from there for the 3rd quarter, and redline it for the last quarter.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
I've been in the same boat. The best part of the aquabike is at the end, when you blow past everyone else slowing to prepare for the run!

FWIW, on a Half AB, I ride the first half as I would for full tri, pick it up from there for the 3rd quarter, and redline it for the last quarter.

Yup. This right here. What a great chance to experiment with a pacing strategy since it's a more low priority event now!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

Dave,

It's more than a bit ironic that a guy with not one but four Velotrons would feel compelled to respond. Have you ever ridden with a power meter outdoor? Will you quit training all together if your Velotrons all break down? Oh yeah that's why you have four just in some of them expire you'll always have one to fall back on;)

Hugh

Nope, and have zero desire to ever use a power meter for outside.

Why is it ironic because I have four velotrons?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

Dave,

Hugh

Nope, and have zero desire to ever use a power meter for outside.

Why is it ironic because I have four velotrons?

They're power training devices. Why do you bother to train with power? Why not just use an inexpensive dumb trainer if you have no interest in power? Why offer advice to someone who wants to race with power when you have absolutely zero experience doing so and seem to have an aversion to even considering it?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd get just as far with "sigh" as a response and maybe further ahead by banging your head against a wall.
At least there you can see progress as you smash the dry wall.

Dave is one of those people that can't see the forest through the trees. He's where he's at in spite of his training methods. He could be better but instead likes to wallow where he's at

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 1, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having multiple athletes do this we usually target ~ 5-10w or so above half IM power for the first half then either break it into 2 chunks or just drill it for the last half.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 1, 17 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Half Aquabike Target Power [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. It confirms what I was thinking, but I wanted to confirm my 3am ramblings were in line with reality before I signed up. I love near the course so I should have a few opportunities to preride it and try and few different approaches.
Quote Reply