Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [Whistlepig56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet again Tim appears to be breaking the laws of physics!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Just want to comment that I'm not a fan of the disrespect and skepticism being tossed Don's way. His ST interviews have always been incredibly transparent and forthcoming. He trains with others in Boulder which can be deemed as transparent.

His cycling was never slow. His times on the bike the last couple of years have been awesome. And, his runs have slowed these last two races as a result of killing the bike, which makes it in the realm of being human. Yours and other's skeptical comments suggest foul play - maybe you could be more transparent in your skepticism and come out and say where your skepticism is coming from. I'm just not seeing improvements not in line with Don's results these last several years and this is a guy who ran 28 for the 10k on the road; I don't think it's unreasonable for him to get his bike into the 4.2 w/kg range and he's small, so his frontal area has to be tiny.

He's no less transparent than Gomez or Frodo. I'm all ears for objective, sound reasons to publically cast skepticism on Don.

I am not getting into these debates and I don't want to call anyone out specifically, I AM NOT calling Tim Don out, I am saying it would help if all athletes were more transparent as it would easily silence any critics. If u see that as calling out Tim then I am sorry for the confusion.

On an aside, nearly every pro just wants a fair race. Do I personally think we should study the effects of vehicular traffic on the outcomes of races, yes I do. To blindly turn our backs on the subject is foolish. Fwiw, I did not ask about lead vehicles at the pro meeting at Galveston. Another pro did. Many of us know it can be an issue, the problem is nobody speaks about it or is afraid to because then people jump down their throats.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Whistlepig56 wrote:
Thought I'd create a profile and chime in on this one.

I've been working with Tim for the last....10 months? ish? During that time I have gotten to know him pretty well and I can say he pays attention to all the small details. No stone is unturned in relation to the bike/dialing in position (the bike is the only thing I can speak about as I don't know much about his other training), and I can only imagine his attention to detail is on the same level with his swim and run training.

I like working with Tim because of this attention to detail, it meshes really well with my standards and I get to push the envelope with the bike builds and other things trying to find hidden speed, no matter how small it may be. Marginal gains add up for sure, but I know he has been putting in a monster effort and I'm happy to see him have a strong start to the season.

What I don't understand about comments like this is that you seem to be saying that Tim leaves no stone unturned,but the logical question is why weren't these stones turned years ago then? Arguably they were more important back then because the time value of his career was higher.

Regardless, I think one reason people are such fans of Lionel, Jesse Thomas, and others is they are so transparent. I don't know why big name pros aren't putting their data out there. People want to see data. If someone is working with a pro, they should be chronicling the improvements. This is the most authentic way to actually plug sponsors.

Tim has always been meticulous with his training and racing. Why would you suggest he didn't have the "no stone unturned" approach in his ITU days?

Tim is also very open with his knowledge and data to some extent. There are a LOT of pros that keep some data close for obvious reasons. Why would Tim give out his methods, which are working, to his competitors? Just because Jeff is building Tim's bikes doesn't give him the right to advertise the changes he makes, unless Tim approves it.

As someone mentioned, he trains with different groups in Boulder, there's images and videos up of him training. So no secrets there. I don't understand your comment about data being the most authentic way to plug his sponsors. Don't you feel winning races does this? It's not like he hides when he's not racing. He's just doing his job, train, working with sponsors and wins races. You don't have to be an open book to plug a sponsor authentically.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people like data, people like to see what pros are doing. Hoffman is by far the most transparent and his strava has value. There are no secret sessions anyone is doing - this isn't rocket science.

Do work, be consistent, don't overtrain, don't get injured...

What benefit does Tim get by NOT putting this stuff out there. Other than like social media it takes some minimal effort to do so.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to training sessions or equipment changes/improvements? Either way Tim's new sessions and equipment modifications are working, so why would he offer this info to his competitors? Not saying he wouldn't, but why would he? No offense, but you're not on the same level as Tim and those other athletes you named, so of course you are going to want to see their data, their equipment, etc. But why would any of them offer those specifics up to athletes they are competing against. Makes no sense to me.
Tim posts some of his sessions online, if you want to see his sessions you can get them, but your original post sounded like you wanted to see Tim's and other pros documented improvements, which could come from a number of things. If you want to see know what products he's using or what general changes he's made, then follow him online, watch him race, communicate with him on social media. What does Ben Hoffman do that Tim Don does not in showcasing his improvements?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
Are you referring to training sessions or equipment changes/improvements? Either way Tim's new sessions and equipment modifications are working, so why would he offer this info to his competitors? Not saying he wouldn't, but why would he? No offense, but you're not on the same level as Tim and those other athletes you named, so of course you are going to want to see their data, their equipment, etc. But why would any of them offer those specifics up to athletes they are competing against. Makes no sense to me.
Tim posts some of his sessions online, if you want to see his sessions you can get them, but your original post sounded like you wanted to see Tim's and other pros documented improvements, which could come from a number of things. If you want to see know what products he's using or what general changes he's made, then follow him online, watch him race, communicate with him on social media. What does Ben Hoffman do that Tim Don does not in showcasing his improvements?

Since you have already quoted me incorrectly, specifically in the last post, I will clarify things further. First the previous post which I neglected to correct you on.

You said:

"Tim has always been meticulous with his training and racing. Why would you suggest he didn't have the "no stone unturned" approach in his ITU days? "

I never said in his ITU days, I said "years ago". Specifically I was actually referring to the start of his long course career and my point was that if he leaves "no stones unturned", then why was he waiting for so many years to make these changes? I have no doubt Tim Don is a professional, I was questioning why he was making these changes now instead of in say 2014.

Second, I really was referring to neither training sessions or equipment changes. I was talking about race files and I wasn't specifically targeting Tim Don. He just happens to be the person of interest in the thread, but I think for anyone that wins races, there is value there to show a run file with heart rate or a power file.

I don't really know who you are, personally it sounds like you are an acquaintance of Tim Don. Regardless I am not really sure if you know who I am. But why do I write things up like my Giro Empire SLX shoes: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...es-aerodynamics.html. Are you aware of how many pros an age-groupers have no adopted something exact or very similar. I was just thanked twice at Galveston 70.3 during the middle of the run for this piece and I told both people they are "more than welcome" and I was "happy to do it". Frankly, I wrote it because it is interesting and I am happy to share with all. I don't want any advantage over my competition. I am an open book. I want to share what I am working on, what I am exploring.

But for the record there are for six pros that I can think of right that I look to myself for bike equipment stuff outside of subjective "feel" criteria. They are: Chris Lieto, Sebi, Jordan Rapp, TJ, Cody Beals, and now recently Jan Frodeno, after knowing how much he and his supporters are putting into his equipment. Do I look to Tim Don for equipment, no I do not, but if Tim Don puts together a Service Course sheet on his equipment, regardless of whether he is sponsored or not, don't you think people are going to hold his views of sponsor equipment higher instead of just assuming he is on the take if he also highlights non-sponsored equipment??? I realize his manager might not like giving free publicity, but hey if it continues to increase Tim Don's visibility I think it can make up for it.

In regards to training sessions or pacing within the race, I don't look at any files to replicate the training. I do my own training, the training that is for me. Frankly, a guy like Tim Don is not going to help me with my training anyway. Professionals understand this, people with coaches understand this, it is typically the people who are either fans or athletes who don't know what they are doing and those aren't the people Tim has to worry about beating him anyway. Frankly, every world class professional says they want to line-up against the best version of their competitors anyway, so why not try to spoon feed them if that is really the case.

What does Ben Hoffman do that Tim Don does not. Ben is active on Strava among other things. Many triathletes/race participants are active on Strava. They can go back and look at Hoffman's training and compare, NOT do, compare. They can also see what he did in the race. And one of the biggest perks about triathlon is that pros compete along side the age-groupers. On the Strava you can go back and view the FlyBys. It is incremental exposure but there is value there.

And no offense taken not being on the same level. I work hard at triathlon, I may not be Jan Fordeno and Ben Hoffman, but trust me, I am trying my best to unearth huge boulders beneath the surface.

Again, I will reiterate, I wasn't blasting Tim Don. I have a lot of respect for what Tim Don has accomplished.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you weren't referring to Tim's ITU days but what makes you think he's just now taking the "no stone unturned" approach? He's ALWAYS take taken this approach, but he may have found new solutions after years of testing.

Because you were replying to Jeff, who works on Tim's bike I assumed you were responding to data about his equipment.

I know who you are and I personally don't care that you share your shoe lace knowledge. It's great that people thanked you for your discovery/creation, I am happy for you. As a side note, it sounds like you were just looking for a pat on the back by posting that. As far as being an open book and not wanting any advantage over your competition, that is a ridiculous statement if you are trying to make a living out of this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
Maybe you weren't referring to Tim's ITU days but what makes you think he's just now taking the "no stone unturned" approach? He's ALWAYS take taken this approach, but he may have found new solutions after years of testing.

Because you were replying to Jeff, who works on Tim's bike I assumed you were responding to data about his equipment.

I know who you are and I personally don't care that you share your shoe lace knowledge. It's great that people thanked you for your discovery/creation, I am happy for you. As a side note, it sounds like you were just looking for a pat on the back by posting that. As far as being an open book and not wanting any advantage over your competition, that is a ridiculous statement if you are trying to make a living out of this sport.

I posted that because it conveys my point - an example of sharing the data instead of keeping it secret - but thanks for again taking any opportunity to cut me down. I have more examples and I have some new ones in the pipeline but yes, I like to try to back up my statements when I make them. I am sorry if in this instance it seems like I was "looking for a pat on the back". Believe me I don't need any pats on the back, if you have a better way to assert that specific point effectively without using myself as an example I am all ears

Are you by chance still upset that I slept in my own bed and went for a training day at Ironman Wisconsin a few years back. Is this what this all about???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are you by chance still upset that I slept in my own bed and went for a training day at Ironman Wisconsin a few years back. Is this what this all about???

Nope, don't ever recall that thread. I'll have to read it some day though, seems interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
Quote:
Are you by chance still upset that I slept in my own bed and went for a training day at Ironman Wisconsin a few years back.
Is this what this all about???

Nope, don't ever recall that thread. I'll have to read it some day though, seems interesting.

Well given that thread and the fact that you are making my exact same point about this thread in another thread (see below), I was beginning to believe I had another personal troll magically appear after PV disappeared...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea who PV is or how you think that post relates to what you are saying in this thread about Tim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

But for the record there are for six pros that I can think of right that I look to myself for bike equipment stuff outside of subjective "feel" criteria. They are: Chris Lieto, Sebi, Jordan Rapp, TJ, Cody Beals, and now recently Jan Frodeno, after knowing how much he and his supporters are putting into his equipment.

I am insulted that you left me off that list, you are now added to my list that is top secret ;)

People I will focus on always outbiking, no matter if it leads to blowing up on the run:
- Thomas Gerlach

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "I don't want any advantage over my competition."

Really? This may be the most shocking statement I have ever heard from a professional athlete. In any sport. Period.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 3, 17 20:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you get paid for 26th in a 70.3 so calling TG a professional athlete may be a stretch
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm not here to take shots at him just shocked by the comment. I wouldn't even say that as an AGer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tricoastal wrote:
I don't think you get paid for 26th in a 70.3 so calling TG a professional athlete may be a stretch

Man, that is pretty brutal. You realize I am just getting over a month with mono? I went to support a friend but thanks for piling on :)

Does it look like I went to the well or does it look like I was out there to get some aerobic fitness??? https://www.strava.com/activities/925470726

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 4, 17 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will never understand comments like this. He is a professional without a doubt. Hasa pro license, races other pro's, makes a living racing. So what if he took 26th? It doesn't make him any less of a professional. Let's use teams that are the worst performers in the NFL, NBA and MLB as examples. Are they not still professionals? Still much better then 99% of the population. Plus, i think the guy deserves a break it isn't like he hasn't had good results. Triathlon seems to have this strange Ricky Bobby complex "if you're not first you're last"
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point exactly. I am shocked to hear that from a professional athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don crushes another 70.3 bike [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see Tim is not far off 40. Anyone know how much age impacts on speed and recovery as you approach your fifth decade?
Last edited by: Lawyertri: Apr 25, 17 8:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next