Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spare wheel storage
Quote | Reply
In apartment, needs to look somewhat decent (ie, I can't hang a ton of hooks from the ceiling).

I have some basic hangers to mount wheels perpendicular to wall, but am looking for a solution to mount some wheels parallel to the wall, protruding from the wall as minimal as possible.

If I could stack two wheels, even better, but I can't figure out how to offset them.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Spare wheel storage [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of my roommates and I race tri together and store bikes for other friends so we have some spares lying around. After just leaning them for a while one guy finally got this floor-to-ceiling rack that has a few hooks coming out to hang wheels. It's pretty unobtrusive and might look Ok in your place. I can get pics in a bit.
In Reply To:

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in an old appartment we drilled a couple of holes in the walls into the studs and jammed some 9mm steel rod right into the hole. Mounted the wheel through the hub where the skewer went. Hardest part was cutting the rod without bending it. But that stuff is cheap, so it wasn't a big deal to have to make a few trial runs. Angle your holes down just a smidge so the wheels don't slide off once it is loaded. You need a pretty long 11/32 drill bit. Put a light coating of oil on the steel so it doesn't rust. I put a bit of gorilla glue on the end we stuck in the wall, but it probably wasn't necessary.

Worked fine. Looked surprisingly good. But required a bit of work to fix it when moving out.

Good luck
Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

how's this?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back of the closets? Behind washer and drier? On top of the drier, or washer too if it's front loading. On top of the hot water heater?

I used all those places when I lived in an apartment. Do you have a balcony? Can store wheels there too, in large plastic bags to keep the rain off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe something like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some ideas here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different approaches might work best for different problems.

How many wheels or wheelsets are we talking about here?

Do you have a decent amount of free wall space?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply