Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
Seriously? No one has ANYTHING to say about Sid bouncing Sub's head off the ice last night?

Well Mike Millbury said he had it coming !

I have to look for a replay of the bottle toss. I saw it during the game but didn't get see any replays to tell if it was an accident or intentional.

simply put, "Sid can dish it out, but he can't take it".

Whatfuckingever. The only difference between Sid and Gretzky is that Sid has to fight his own battles. There's no Marty McSorley fighting Sid's fights.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer day here today. God how I had Sindy Crosby.

I went to 1 of 2 pre-season games, every single home regular season game, every home playoff game and one away game (Preds @ Kings), so it was a very fun year, except for the final outcome. But we have a team full of young guys so things look bright for the future. Now if we could get the damned power play going!

And like someone said this morning - if they are going to be calling things different in the playoffs, then have two damned rule books.

Re Milbury - He stopped into a little corner convenience store on Saturday and people started busting on him so he hightailed it out. Also, there were LOTS of anti-Milbury signs before the game (and then inside the arena). NBC had a flunky going around trying to bribe people out of their signs or to not hold them up where the cameras could see them (pre-game). The bribe? An NBC hat. HA! No takers.

I've now been to games here, SJ, LA, and WDC. Will have to figure where I want to go next season. I already have a hotel booked for the All Star game in Tampa, though a hockey friend here has a house there that we can use. Vegas is a given, but maybe Miami or NYR/NYI/NJ (which work would pay for the travel).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Bummer day here today. God how I had Sindy Crosby.

I went to 1 of 2 pre-season games, every single home regular season game, every home playoff game and one away game (Preds @ Kings), so it was a very fun year, except for the final outcome. But we have a team full of young guys so things look bright for the future. Now if we could get the damned power play going!
Agreed, I was rooting for the Preds but don't feel too bad for their fanbase because they're set up really well for the future--not only the current talent but the cap situation the next few years looks fantastic, unlike most Cup contenders they can add this offseason. They'll need Rinne to stick in that near-elite territory for the next fwe years but 34 isn't too old for a goalie, if he can maintain there's no reason to think the Preds won't have a fwe more deep Cup runs.

Quote:
And like someone said this morning - if they are going to be calling things different in the playoffs, then have two damned rule books.
This is literally every postseason that it gets brought...it's just the nature of playoff sports, refs swallow the whistles and players know it. I'd rather they called the regular season the way they call the playoffs, allows for a more open pace to the game and I like a little chippiness.

Quote:
Re Milbury - He stopped into a little corner convenience store on Saturday and people started busting on him so he hightailed it out. Also, there were LOTS of anti-Milbury signs before the game (and then inside the arena). NBC had a flunky going around trying to bribe people out of their signs or to not hold them up where the cameras could see them (pre-game). The bribe? An NBC hat. HA! No takers.
Ignore Milbury, he's a paid troll. NBC loves his antics even if they have to issue a half-hearted apology on his behalf once or twice a year.

Quote:
I've now been to games here, SJ, LA, and WDC. Will have to figure where I want to go next season. I already have a hotel booked for the All Star game in Tampa, though a hockey friend here has a house there that we can use. Vegas is a given, but maybe Miami or NYR/NYI/NJ (which work would pay for the travel).
Haven't been following this thread, are you a fairly new fan? I loved watching the Preds run this postseason mostly because of their fans, I'm from Boston and generally felt like hockey only worked in a few US cities + Canada but Nashville has helped change my tune. There are still some cities that don't seem to be working (or were a mistake from the outset) but some of these southern cities do seem to be working and Nashville is chief among them. It's awesome to see, and now more American players are coming from the south which is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:
Seriously? No one has ANYTHING to say about Sid bouncing Sub's head off the ice last night?

I have to look for a replay of the bottle toss. I saw it during the game but didn't get see any replays to tell if it was an accident or intentional.

Whatfuckingever. The only difference between Sid and Gretzky is that Sid has to fight his own battles. There's no Marty McSorley fighting Sid's fights.
Well, that and about 1,830 points, give or take.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Haven't been following this thread, are you a fairly new fan?

Three years. I watched some hockey before that when I lived in SF when the Sharks were on TV, but first live game was three years ago. The Preds can thank the sucky Titans for moving me from football to hockey. Though the Titans are getting better.

Brownie28 wrote:
I loved watching the Preds run this postseason mostly because of their fans, I'm from Boston and generally felt like hockey only worked in a few US cities + Canada but Nashville has helped change my tune. There are still some cities that don't seem to be working (or were a mistake from the outset) but some of these southern cities do seem to be working and Nashville is chief among them. It's awesome to see, and now more American players are coming from the south which is awesome.

People here will love to hear that. They are building yet another ice center (3rd one for the area) since so many kids and adults are now playing.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I thought Murray deserved it, solid in goal (Fleury came up huge against the Caps when he had to, they don't move on without him) and pitched back-to-back shutouts when momentum had seemingly shifted to the Preds favor.
I thought Murray was the savior for the finals...but the Conn is for "playoff MVP"...and it's hard to give Murray the nod with Fluery was key earlier.

As I stated before, the Billy Bean philosophy once again was true: The best team doesn't always win a 7 games series. Nashville looked to be a much better, all around, team. Pittsburgh's talent though was enough to overcome that in bursts (4 of them apparently).

Who I am real happy to see win this: Mario!!!!! He is the TRUE savior of the Penguins. Always good to see him be a part of success like this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only difference between Sid and Gretzky is that Sid has to fight his own battles.

That and the 1,830 more points that Gretzky has in his career...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Virginia Plain wrote:

Ummmm no. Sid has the refs fight his fights for him.

Look at him sideways and you're getting 2 minutes, at least. The league didn't treat The great one with kid gloves because he was a star. Sid is given the room to play by the league.

The two should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be interesting to see the long-term effect in the region given the success of the team this season. It sounds like it's trending that way with more rinks opening to meet the demand/growth in youth and adult leagues. Hockey was always popular here but exploded during the Bobby Orr era, where seemingly every town within a 20-mile radius of the city opened a rink and even the state got in the rink building business to accommodate the growth in the sport. Same thing with the rise in popularity in girls hockey after the US women's team won gold at the '98 Olympics. It's good to see it happening in other parts of the country where kids have come out of youth programs in states like Arizona, Florida and California have made it to the NHL.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be the negative Nancy on this one regarding Nashville: I don't think it'll be a long term viable place for hockey. Right now they have a team that is doing well, and everyone comes out in droves when the team is successful, but just wait until the fall on hard times. I think the rink will be empty, and they'll be shopped around for another city. It boggles my MIND that places like Winnepeg, Quebec, and MINNESOTA were unable to keep teams. (yeah, Winnepeg and Minn got their teams back, but it took a long time). Long term success will come from a culture and a history. If the Preds can maintain the fanbase and do reasonably well for a decade or so, I think they'll have a shot. But if they falter and are near the bottom for a bit, I say its over for them.

Our Anchorage Aces (ECHL) won their title a few times and the arena was PACKED. A few years not doing so well and they are folding. It doesn't take much nowadays.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk hockey (again!) [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
I'll be the negative Nancy on this one regarding Nashville: I don't think it'll be a long term viable place for hockey. Right now they have a team that is doing well, and everyone comes out in droves when the team is successful, but just wait until the fall on hard times. I think the rink will be empty, and they'll be shopped around for another city.

You obviously do not know the history of the team. Craig Leopold, a former member of the current ownership group of the Pred's is now the owner of the Minnesota Wild. And at one point, the very first owner (the dude who started Blackberry-remember that) was trying to move the team to Winnipeg but that did not happen.

Attendance has been very strong for nearly 10 years including years when they didn't make the playoffs. Not to mention years when the population of Nashville was much less than it is now. Nashville's population has exploded in the last five years which has only helped attendance, and the population explosion does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon. This year will be the first year that they've ever had to cap the number for season tickets sold, and every home game was a sell out.

Historical attendance:

http://www.hockeydb.com/...t_graph.php?tmi=7024

Bridgestone holds a little over 17,000 for hockey which is one of the more moderate sized barns in the league.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hockey in the south is a much bigger deal than people give it credit.

It'll be interesting to see in Vegas though. Fleury's already signed on, so that should be a nice easy segway to retirement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Balsillie (Blackberry guy) was not allowed to buy and move the team because the Commish would not allow it. Doesn't mean it was the right decision (see Arizona), but in this case I do think he was right.

I do think that they can stay popular there, in part due to the number of Canadian country music singers who now reside in the area. They will continue to be fans, which will attract other country music stars, which will attract other country music fans. The Kings are a cool thing to do because Hollywood stars make it a cool thing to do. I think Nashville will follow the same pattern.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply

Prev Next