Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced
Quote | Reply
There several "WTF" aspects to this story, but the one I'll focus on is this one: There is an actual Witchcraft Law still on the books in Ontario. And its being prosecuted.
http://news.nationalpost.com/...-remove-evil-spirits

Then I got to thinking - how is this different than the faith healers and other more mainstream religious types that take money to cure physical and spiritual ailments. Just because a white guy or gal in a suit and a smoooooth approach is doing this slicker, don't make them any less of a charlatan. I'm looking at you Benny Hinn.

As a kid I remember putting money in the collection basket, and praying for results. But as far as I can tell I never developed Xray vision, Suzy Derkins' head never exploded and black licorice still has not been banned. I want my friken money back, you evil witches and warlocks (aka Sister Agatha and Father Murphy).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Under the Criminal Code of Canada, witchcraft is defined by anyone who “pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration.” Practitioners undertaking “for a consideration, to tell fortunes” are also outlawed by the Criminal Code.

So, pretending to practice witchcraft is illegal, but being an actual witch/wiccan would be OK?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the prosecution have to prove that he didn't remove the evil spirit?
Quote Reply
Re: Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we are cool with real witches in Ontario. That part made me laugh too. I wonder if it applies to exorcisms too.

RandMart wrote:
Quote:
Under the Criminal Code of Canada, witchcraft is defined by anyone who “pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration.” Practitioners undertaking “for a consideration, to tell fortunes” are also outlawed by the Criminal Code.

So, pretending to practice witchcraft is illegal, but being an actual witch/wiccan would be OK?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 30, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how that's written. It doesn't even hint at the idea of legitimate witchcraft or exorcism.

I imagine the language would read somewhat differently down here south of the border.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Witchcraft law on the books... is being enforced [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I guess we are cool with real witches in Ontario. That part made me laugh too. I wonder if it applies to exorcisms too.

RandMart wrote:
Quote:

Yeah it seems like the crime is bilking people out of their money pretending to believe you have supernatural powers, bilking people out their money while actually believing you have supernatural powers is copacetic.

Which is always the interesting bit about mediums, astrologists, psychics, faith healers and such, do they actually believe it themselves?
Quote Reply