Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas 70.3
Quote | Reply
With a poor weather forecast has anyone heard of a modified race? Swim cancel?
What's the history of this race and cancelations?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [phillipscj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted this in another thread yesterday. The 70.3 has a good track record weather wise but Sunday's weather does look jacked up.

The Galveston race used to be an indie event prior to 2010 with a sprint, Oly, and HIM on the same weekend with the shorter races on Saturday and the HIM on Sunday. 2010 was the first year the HIM was a WTC branded 70.3. The weather sucked it the couple of days before the race and they actually canceled the swim for the Oly on Saturday but we did swim the 70.3 the next day and it was pretty freakin' choppy. I was like 8-10 minutes slower than normal. It wasn't a lot of fun at all. The Oly turned into a 5150 event for a few years and I think they had horrible luck with the weather. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the swim was canceled once, the bike was canceled once, and the whole race canceled another time.

So it can happen. Not likely but you never know. The 70.3 has had very good luck with weather for its history.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been there every year since 2011, and have not raced a modified or partially cancelled course in those 6 years. WE had a couple years where the swim was pretty choppy or there was rain on the bike course, but never had a portion cancelled (knock on wood). Hourly forecast shows higher chance of storms starting around noon, so I hope to be well into my run by then. Good news is the winds are out of the SSW, so the swim course shouldnt be too bad. The years it was really choppy was when we had a NW/NNW wind, which really churns up the water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this time of year in Texas storms are almost always in the forecast especially near the coast. Keep in mind that thunderstorms in Texas normally (especially this time of year) come through as a band in a limited time frame so chances are better than it looks.

I have done it the last 3 years and it seems like it has rained every time. The only time the swim was nuts was when there was a north wind and it turned the bay to crazy choppy which made the swim quite interesting.

I would not fret about the weather as there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

BTW, I have ridden and will ride again a Hedjet+6 front and disk back and I am not the best bike handler. Winds are typically strong but constant.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should make all big races - Ironman, Ironman 70.3, even major marathons, etc. happen on Saturday. If the weather sucks, it has the option to be moved to Sunday! (yes, I know this could turn in to a logistical nightmare, but I'm tired of having my swims cancelled!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this and everyone's replies. I am supposed to fly down tomorrow from Boston and have been eyeing the weather like a hawk, it sure does look interesting! I figured I'll make the trip down and if they cancel, I will try to pack up and catch an earlier flight home. All the money and sweat equity has been spent to get ready, I'm ready to race!

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [N2176T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are fast and in m35-39 you should probably just stay home if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those looking at the weather forecast. I would check out spacecityweather.com. Pretty good forecasts that go into detail.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [eslee1282] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eslee1282 wrote:
For those looking at the weather forecast. I would check out spacecityweather.com. Pretty good forecasts that go into detail.

Well that's encouraging, thanks for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSA, if anyone is looking for/needing a close place to stay, I just cancelled a room for 3/31 and 4/1 at the Spring Hill Suites 2.5 miles from race site. Work circumstances changed my race plans, but in looking at the weather those plans may have been changed anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really disappointed. I checked back in to this thread hoping for some full scale weather meltdown. Disappointing.

Looks like rains might hold off but it's going to be very breezy.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'm really disappointed. I checked back in to this thread hoping for some full scale weather meltdown. Disappointing.

yea i have been waiting to!.....few updates on Facebook page as well, guess i was told that if swim is cxl its a run bike run! They only have a 30min window to postpone run.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
logella wrote:

yea i have been waiting to!.....few updates on Facebook page as well, guess i was told that if swim is cxl its a run bike run! They only have a 30min window to postpone run.

I think thats pros only.....did they say that at the other meetings?
Quote Reply