Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First TIme IM Advice
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to complete my first IM this summer and still deciding between IMC and IMCDA. I'm a pretty poor swimmer, but decent in biking and running. Any advice on which would be a better choice? I'm looking at IMCDA because the location is convenient and it is 4 weeks later and would give me more time to dial in my swimming, etc., but I've heard the swim and weather can be brutal. It seems people think that IMC has a tougher bike course, but CDA looks pretty tough to me too.

All suggestions welcome, I just want to survive the swim and enjoy the rest of the day!
Quote Reply
Re: First TIme IM Advice [ActiveGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you Canadian or American? The Canadian dollar is brutal right now, so ironman Canada would be cheaper. Is family coming to watch? CDA is 2 loop swim and bike and 3 loop run, so it's more spectator friendly. Bike course are about equal in difficulty. CDA has rolling swim start which is much better for a first timer than a mass start that I assume Canada still has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMCA sounds like a better option, most IM athletes get hooked from having great race experiences- the first one is always epic.
Logistics, travel, food, etc. play a huge role in that race experience so make it easier on yourself and support crew.
If you have the means get a session or two with a swim coach now in order to make gains and help you get to the bike and run with more energy. If possibible do some open water swims with a tri group/ team so you know what to expect.

Have a great race!
I look forward to your race report..
Quote Reply
Re: First TIme IM Advice [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote for IMCanada too!

(I'm a Canadian who lives abroad, not that I'm biased!)

But the reason I'd go there is (from what I here) future iterations of IM Canada are still up in the air. This year, the budget has been set aside for Kona, but next year, I won't take a slot if I get one and go to IM Canada...it sounds like such an awesome awesome event and I know the location is mega fun. And yes, the Canadian dollar is a cheap as chips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The set up in whistler is amazing, especially if you are travelling with anyone. It's a resort town so there is always something to do and the course is absolutely spectacular. The bike is harder than a lot of courses but still very manageable, nothing to get worried about.

Unfortunately I broke a leg a few months before I was supposed to compete there but have volunteered 3 times and had multiple friends do it who all signed up straight away after finishing. For a lot of people Ironman is a big life event and especially for your first doing it somewhere as well set up as whistler makes it all the more amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done CDA, but I've done IMC twice, and going back for my 3rd this year.

The swim at IMC is awesome. Lake is beautiful, swim is wetsuit legal. I did it in '15 when it was mass start, and last year with the rolling start, and didn't find too much contact in either case. The rectangular course also makes it easy to take it wide and avoid the density towards the bouys if you want even less contact.

The climbing is the same (within 200') for the 2 bike courses, but because at IMC you have that big climb out of Pemberton for the last 35km it certainly feels tough, and if you've pushed the front end of the course too hard it really can turn the day into a suffer fest.

IMC run is also nice - 2 big loops - lots of spectators - and I'd guess a little over 1/2 in treed areas so you get the shade.

AS I said, never done CDA, but I love IMC.
Quote Reply
Re: First TIme IM Advice [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm American, so yes it would be cheaper in most aspects.

I'll be making a quick trip out of either one, leaving for home on The following day of the race. In some aspects CDA might be easier logistically without having to deal with border crossing, etc.

Thanks for the advice, seems like most favor CA so far. Such a tough decision!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMC in '16 - it was also my first Ironman and at first I also couldn't decide between the two!

What ended up making my decsion for me: the availabily of hotels/lodging options. There are just so many more options in Whistler, the prices are far lower that CDA and a lot of places in CDA make you rent for a week. I get it - they are a small resort town and surge the prices when Ironman comes to town. But since I had 5 people coming with me, I wanted to make sure I could secure a great place to stay, close to the activities. In Whistler, many of the hotels are literally at the finish line which is really cool for spectators.

If you go on YouTube you can watch 10 minute videos of both of the races and that might help you decide. I too was very apprehensive about the swim when deciding but I trained A LOT and looking back, my favorite part of the entire race was the swim. It was simply stunning, Alta lake is a great temp and is wetsuit legal for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boarder crossing because you'll likely not be traveling during the peak. If you leave the day after the race, that's a Monday afternoon and crossings will be light. If you are coming from the south, take the Lynden crossing and it's super quick compared to Peace Arch.

Personally I'm also happy I did it because I hear rumors that it may be cancelled after this year. They also had a 70.3 at the same time which was actually really cool. The bike course is amazing in that for most of the race the entire highway is closed.

The Canadian exchange helped too, it was essentially 20% off of everything. Whistler is an amazing place to travel to, it's really world-class and like other posters said, it's perfect for spectators. Once you get there, you will not need your car to drive, and even though you will be shuttled to the swim start, it's only just over a mile via walking paths from the village for spectators.

Good luck and have fun!
Quote Reply