Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen Angela Naeth on Zwift. She dropped everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that Starky had the Epic KOM while I was riding today.

Don't know if it was actually him though.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was he on an Orbea?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an unlockable ST jersey people could use. Then we'd all know the other ST people when we see them.

Assuming I can look away from Game of Thrones.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you get that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way, or if it is being planned, to be able to build workouts online (or at least not using the same device that you use for running zwift)? This would be great. I'd love to build a workout at lunch at work and be able to go home and just be able to pull it up on my home PC running zwift. The workout builder software for zwift is really easy to use. I like it.

You can use TrainingPeaks workout builder and export workouts directly from there into Zwift. Think you have to be a Premium user to do that, or have a coaching account.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Talk to me about Trainer Road vs Zwift. I'm a regular on Trainer Road with no experience with Zwift. Trainer road works for me as coach prescribes my intervals and I just hop on the trainer and hit the numbers. Could I do that on Zwift?

In other words, I understand how Zwift presents a virtual alternative to the Saturday group ride. But does it serve those of us on Dawn Patrol?

Scott

I have no experience with Trainer Road, so I am not 100% sure. In Zwift, you can indeed program a workout where you can set power targets, cadence targets, interval duration, etc. Even if you have a "smart trainer," Zwift will NOT adjust the trainer to match these parameters. I.e., if you set an interval to be "300w," Zwift will not adjust the resistance to always be 300w regardless of cadence; it simply gives you visual/audio cues if you fall out of the target zone.

For "work" intervals, the screen will pop up a reminder for "more/less power" inside of a +/-25w (I believe) band and a +/-5rpm cadence band; on "recovery" intervals, that band goes up to +/-50w (I believe) but still +/-5rpm.

If you are doing intervals, you do not have to set all parameters (i.e., you can set only power or power+cadence).

Intervals are power-only (no HR).

Way more detail here: https://support.zwift.com/...6-Using-Workout-Mode

99% sure it has ERG mode for workout, but like someone mentioned above you have to use your Trainer as the power source, rather than your actual powermeter. They *should* have a fix coming out for this to do similar to what TrainerRoad calls "PowerMatch". Then you could have the trainer resistance controlled via the powermeter you have. A few athletes I have use ERG mode via their KICKR and seem to really like it. I have mixed feelings on the use of ERG mode during workouts, but I think it would be nice from time to time.

Everything else you said is spot on with the "bands", and that seems about the right ranges.

The only thing I would like to see added would be "lap/interval average power", but I have that displayed on the Garmin as that is my "backup" file in case anything happens with Zwift.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people have already chimed in, so my apologies if any of this is duplicate. Yes you could do that on Zwift. Depending on what trainer you have you could also use ERG mode. And if your coach is writing your workouts in Workout Builder via TrainingPeaks you can just import those into Zwift (I believe that can be done on TrainerRoad as well, not positive). I just don't see how TrainerRoad will continue to live on when in my opinion, Zwift does everything it does, plus more.

I mean if Zwift wanted to, they could build an option for workout mode to appear identical to TrainerRoad rather than seeing the island, and if they did that then I don't think there would be any argument on why someone should use TrainerRoad over Zwift. That is the only real gripe that I hear from TR users, they prefer the visual layout of the workout mode on TR over Zwift. I don't think I could stare at "blocks" for long periods of time.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few of the Cannondale guys were on in the winter. I know I rode a few times with Talansky; he even did a couple of races although I don't think he was going very hard in them. I've also raced quite a few times with the ST's own jordano on zwift (less famous, but still a pro, jellybelly I think). I remember reading an FTP poll thread years back where he responded with something like 6 w/kg and there was the usual pile-on of "no way dude" that eventually ended with the "but I'm a pro" reveal. Pretty funny. And of course Rapp who was already mentioned; rode around with him on Buffalo bikes a while back.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
I have mixed feelings on the use of ERG mode during workouts, but I think it would be nice from time to time.

Mind me asking what your mixed feelings are? I have mixed feelings on it as well but I really don't know why. I've never been able to put it into words or put my finger on it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
I have mixed feelings on the use of ERG mode during workouts, but I think it would be nice from time to time.

Mind me asking what your mixed feelings are? I have mixed feelings on it as well but I really don't know why. I've never been able to put it into words or put my finger on it.

I think if you solely use ERG mode you can loose the "feel" of what it takes to push the pedals at that given effort. The machine is just setting the resistence for you, and you are just pedaling. Rather than having to "feel" what it is like and find that wattage. Not sure if that makes sense. Then there may be days where you aren't capable of holding that wattage but because you are using ERG mode you just push on and are possibly overcooking yourself by just pushing through the "pain" and getting it done.

I think ERG mode has a lot of great aspects, I just don't think it should be used ALL the time.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Pro athlete encounters on Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

I use a KK Road Machine with Zwift not a smart trainer but I did borrow a friends trainer a little while ago and tried doing some workouts in ERG mode. I hated it!!!
Having said that, it's quite possibly something I could get used to and would then love.
The problem I had was that being used to the dumb fluid trainer and road riding, I don't expect the bike/terrain to fight back if I ease off for a moment. My natural responses were confused by the increased resistance when my cadence would drop slightly. In the course of a couple of 10min trials and one full workout (maybe 75mins or so) I couldn't get used to this, and repeatedly ended up in a cadence death spiral. I just found it impossible to establish a comfortable rhythm. As I said, this may be something that just needs some practice and my workout of prolonged near FTP efforts may not have been the best introduction. However, this did somewhat put me off the idea of getting a smart trainer for the time being. There are 3 main things I'd want from a new trainer: Improved power accuracy for Zwift, ERG mode, more realistic pedalling sensation. My trial of this trainer (an Elite Rampa) didn't convince me on any of these 3 priorities. As I understand it the power figures come from an RPM based estimation, not a power meter. I didn't enjoy ERG mode (further trials needed!) and possibly most importantly, I didn't like the pedalling sensation. This isn't something that seems to get mentioned often, but to me the Ramps felt a little "grainy" and irregular if that makes sense. It didn't have the smooth feel of the Road Machine which although not entirely realistic, is at least predictable and relatively close to the feel of turning the pedals on the road.
Quote Reply

Prev Next