Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That disease scared the crap out of me. Both sides of my family had deaths from it, and there is a generic component. I don't want to doe that way.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really think it depends on your fears. Death is painful for the most part. I would hate to burn to death, and drowning scares the hell or of me, and I am a good swimmer. Couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing Das Boot. Burning to death in a submarine, ugh.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I don't remember how big they once were, probably closer to 19.

I bet you could also throw a football clear over them mountains.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Leddy wrote:
I wonder how the snake caught him. Judging by the boots he still had on I would think he was awake when the snake first got him.

It occurs to me that he was already dead by suffocation when he was swallowed. So it isn't as bad as, say, being eaten alive by a shark. A crocodile would also kill the victim prior to being eaten.

Hold on there, dead probably but not by the way we think.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I have a patient who is in the last stages of Lou Gehrig's disease at present. Its hard to make those housecalls. Dying by inches.

Yeah, I'd have to say that would be the worst. Some sort of awful progressive disease where you know what's coming, it hurts or at least greatly disables and it takes a long time (terminal cancer, Huntington's disease, ALS, muscular dystrophy, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:
I have a patient who is in the last stages of Lou Gehrig's disease at present. Its hard to make those housecalls. Dying by inches.

Yeah, I'd have to say that would be the worst. Some sort of awful progressive disease where you know what's coming, it hurts or at least greatly disables and it takes a long time (terminal cancer, Huntington's disease, ALS, muscular dystrophy, etc.)

A friend of mine from school got CJD (human mad cow disease). That has to be the worst, knowing your brain is going to irreversibly turn to mush and you will be dead within a year, most of which will be a miserable, bedridden experience.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

A friend of mine from school got CJD (human mad cow disease). That has to be the worst, knowing your brain is going to irreversibly turn to mush and you will be dead within a year, most of which will be a miserable, bedridden experience.

Damn, almost no one gets that. Pretty damn rare.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

Damn, almost no one gets that. Pretty damn rare.

His growth was a bit stunted when he was younger and so (very sadly in hindsight) he was given injections to stimulate his growth - hormones from the pituitary glands of deceased animals. He received the injections from the age of about 10-14. He got CJD about 10 years later and was dead within 12 months of the diagnosis. Such a shame given he wasn't that small, and one of the motivations for having the injections was that he was teased for being small.

There are also concerns that people receiving HGH could be at risk of CJD many years later. Not worth the risk!
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how likely is it that they can secure a 'head shot'? They'd need to sneak down from a tree; though have read of people sleeping being taken.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I did, and it wasn't that bad. No blood, just a body inside a snake whole.

I guess if I was a 140 lbs triathlete, this would be something to worry about. These pythons have exploded (bad pun) in numbers throughout SoFl.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah agreed.

You have 3 options.

Stay in the building, try to escape and deal with the searing heat knowing that you will burn alive.

Get to the window for fresh air as the smoke is so thick you will die from inhalation.

Jump knowing that you will certainly die, but under your own terms and it will be instantaneous...after a 8-10 second fall.

Of course this goes with everyone that had no idea what would happen and died in the collapse at some point in time.

Every time I look back on 9/11 and see video of those that jumped, see the building collapse, and hear stories of the day I cannot think of a worse way to go that what those people en endured.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

In either of these cases, I am pretty sure I would set up for early termination, now when is that point??

Probably the point I can no longer communicate that I don't want you to end it.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

In either of these cases, I am pretty sure I would set up for early termination, now when is that point??

Probably the point I can no longer communicate that I don't want you to end it.

Unfortunately, this is a questionable point. What is considered communication? While working in extended care facility, I had couple of patients with Lou Gerigh. Lawyers, doctors and families were challenging the patient's will to die and each other. Is blinking as a response to a verbal question communication? Is squeeze of a hand communication? Can the patient do this all the time? One patient could communicate by tapping Morse code with his finger. Or they can look at the screen and eye movements be tracked by a camera and the patient can put words together. The dispute turned quite nasty and the lawyers profited the most.
Last edited by: softrun: Nov 10, 19 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but the way all constrictors kill tells you a different story. The prey is always secured by a bite first, then constricted. All constrictors prefer to swallow prey head first, and since they all have recurved teeth, they cannot easily release their bite, so it is very unlikely the snake grabbed a leg. Current thought is death is by circulation restriction as opposed to suffocation, still a minute or so to unconsciousness and death.
Odds are, if this is real, the poor bugger was grabbed by the head, painfully, prior to constriction starting, and his last memory would be that of python breath.

A python will strike and bite its prey on any part of the animal's body. They don't specifically aim for the head.

Primarily, the snake is attempting to quickly secure and subdue its prey. For most pythons, a sense of "smell" and heat detection provide the primary stimuli for identifying prey and focusing the strike, with visual cues such as the movement of the prey a more minor stimulus. A python most likely targets its bite at where it perceives the strongest sensory signals, rather than any specific body part of the prey.

Despite the recurved teeth, pythons (and other snakes) are satisfactorily adept at repositioning themselves and their prey to commence swallowing their prey headfirst. They generally do this in one of two ways.

The snake will either simply release its bite (the gape is expansive allowing teeth to disengage) and then "sniff" and nuzzle the prey until it finds the head to commence swallowing. Or the snake may reposition its bite by incrementally and alternately moving its own head/upper jaws and each independently articulated lower jaw bone toward the head of the prey.

Large pythons like Retics and Burmese become less arboreal as they become larger and heavier, so it's most probable that the snake was on the ground (or close to it) and most likely initially grabbed the man's leg or lower body.

(I know, I'm replying to an old post...........but snakes are more interesting than politics.)
Last edited by: satanellus: Nov 11, 19 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So ... what the fuck caused you to drag up a 2+ year old thread about bad ways to die???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: One of the worst ways to die? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/world/asia/indonesia-python-salubiro-sulawesi.html

No, I'm not going to watch the video.

That’s no way for a man to die. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!
Quote Reply

Prev Next