Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Or whatever whack job is mayor of San Francisco these day? How about the governor or lt governor of California.

Prosecute City Officials
If the carrot and stick approach fails to force city officials to abide by the law, perhaps President Trump should begin charging people with crimes. He can do so under another federal statute which makes it a felony to shield someone who is here illegally:
"Any person who, knowing that an alien has come to the U.S. in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection such alien in any place, including any building… shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years.” (8 U.S. Code, section 1324)
Five years behind bars might give city officials pause to rethink their sanctuary philosophy. But there’s an added punishment written in the law: if someone dies because a city official decided not to comply with federal law, as in the Steinle case, the maximum penalty is life behind bars. I’m pretty sure that’ll get the attention of some sheriffs, police chiefs and mayors.

http://www.foxnews.com/...d-refuge-in-law.html

They should make a token arrest to send a message, and if it were my pick, that would be DeBlasio.

I'd chose the gov. of CT.
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I'm pretty sure the president cannot order the arrest of a US citizen. Remember when he threatened to do that to Hilary?

And yet she is still walking free. Really a disappointment in my book. Just another politician that can't follow through on their promises.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
I'm pretty sure the president cannot order the arrest of a US citizen. Remember when he threatened to do that to Hilary?

And yet she is still walking free. Really a disappointment in my book. Just another politician that can't follow through on their promises.

he can't. doing so could lead to his impeachment according to a handful of ex attorney generals.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Read less into the hook title ofnthe thread and read more from the article. Any person who harbors illegal immigrants is guilty of a federal crime. The executive branch is the mechanism to enforce. You article is completely separate idea. Quit trying to sound smart and derail people's threads with your nonsense.

did you get some of those brownies? since when is commenting on a thread title derailling a thread?

Jesus Christ man. What is wrong with you? Did you even read your link? I got half way down when I saw Alan Dershowitz comment that it would be unwise. But nobody said it was impeachable. The ag should be independent of political pressure. But if you believe that you are stupid. An attorney general is selected based on being in line with the president. Sessions is the most critical ag of illegal immigration policies and sanctuary cities in decades. I don't even think trump would have to say anything for this to cross his mind.

But seriously. His is what the forth time in the last couple of months you cited evidence that didn't even say what you said it did. Or maybe I needed to read further down after people holder, Dershowitz, mulvaney, etc.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
sea.bryan wrote:
This argument it is not new. Jindal was beating this drum in 2015.

Sessions might have some interesting arrests to make. We shall see who they are.

If you want to create a Constitutional crisis, this would be the way to do it.

How so? Enforcing a valid law shouldn't create a crisis. It's not like he's arresting members of Congress on their way to or from session.

Really? You think the federal government arresting local officials for applying local law won't create a Constitutional crisis? You think that the federal government can deputize local officials?

It's really funny seeing conservatives who previously espoused federalism so quickly dump the idea when it contradicts their political agenda and biases.

Like I told JSA, federalism is the preferred avenue but since liberals pick and choose when it applies we who support it lose every time. So we're just playing the same game. Again, I would prefer reform, no wall, and only violent criminals going home. But the left created this monster and now want it both ways. That we cannot allow.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Jesus Christ man. What is wrong with you? Did you even read your link? I got half way down when I saw Alan Dershowitz comment that it would be unwise. But nobody said it was impeachable

lol, read it again. everyone in the article said things like: make him unfit, be illegal, no precedent, be grounds to demand a resignation, be an impechable offense

Quote:
His is what the forth time in the last couple of months you cited evidence that didn't even say what you said it did.

i think you are confusing me with someone else.

Last edited by: veganerd: Mar 29, 17 3:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
You got your point across in many other thread. Let's keep the focus on politicians who through political pandering to illegal immigrants are putting American lives in danger.

Boss...this is a pretty hilarious statement. You're accusing politicians from political pandering with the argument that [they] are putting American lives in danger. Sounds an awful lot like you're pandering yourself with the oh-so-popular approach of fear mongering. American lives in danger? Puh-lease! There's 300 million people in this country. Of course there are some bad hombres out there and I'm sure you could link a half dozen articles in which a(n) (illegal) bad hombre raped a nice white American girl.

But let's not pretend that what you did there is the same low form of pandering that you're accusing the other side of. Illegal immigration does not equal American lives in danger. If you want to solve the illegal immigration problem let's talk about the big problems with it - not cherrypicked sensationalism to scare the populace to agree to another shitty "plan" like building an idiotic and expensive wall. Or are you saying that protecting American lives is the important part? Because I have a lot of proposals to address that problem. Let's see...guns, healthcare...you probably won't like my ideas there ;). Judging from our leadership's rhetoric and recent actions the "American lives" argument only comes out when it's convenient, not necessarily when it makes sense.

Back from that tangent - I have no issues with the Feds applying pressure on sanctuary cities. I'd prefer if they followed existing laws too - both sides for that matter. Ideally, we'd actually focus on the issues instead of scoring points. Saying that Democrats fucked up the system beyond repair is a cop-out. We've had a broken immigration system for decades. If your answer to why the solution is a nonsensical wall and aggressive deportation that disregards the human cost is "Democrats broke the system" then my reaction is - your party has no good ideas of their own and can't govern effectively (note, I'm saying nothing about my party - they too are weak).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The list of states with legal pot is growing every year. You want to arrest their governors too?
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
The list of states with legal pot is growing every year. You want to arrest their governors too?

no, he wants to buy some.....from california.

Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could and unfortunately it is much more likely to happen under this legislation. But politically not likely. Crosses red and blue states.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
sea.bryan wrote:

Sessions might have some interesting arrests to make. We shall see who they are.

If you want to create a Constitutional crisis, this would be the way to do it.

How so? Enforcing a valid law shouldn't create a crisis. It's not like he's arresting members of Congress on their way to or from session.

Really? You think the federal government arresting local officials for applying local law won't create a Constitutional crisis? You think that the federal government can deputize local officials?

It's really funny seeing conservatives who previously espoused federalism so quickly dump the idea when it contradicts their political agenda and biases.

Like I told JSA, federalism is the preferred avenue but since liberals pick and choose when it applies we who support it lose every time. So we're just playing the same game. Again, I would prefer reform, no wall, and only violent criminals going home. But the left created this monster and now want it both ways. That we cannot allow.

Since we aren't allowing the door to swing both ways, I thought the Rebubs were all about giving power back to the cities and states.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. On both points. Use that superior intellect you think you have. Halfway through I didn't see one mention of impeachable. I did see should resign. But should resign vs illegal or impeachable are not the same thing.

On the other point. As pointed out, you don't often even cite evidence. A few weeks back when pressed you linked an article you admitted to not reading. Jose of us who did pointed out it didn't support the argument at hand. That wasn't the first time as pointed out to you. This is a habit. If your goal is to derail my thread let's talk about your pathological problem with this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having an opposing opinion does not derail a thread..

Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
sea.bryan wrote:

He should probably start with Manafort, Flynn, himself for lying to congress. Nunes for conspiracy to subvert a congressional investigation. J D Gordon and Cater page for colluding with the Russians. Let not forget Kushner meeting with a sanctioned Russian bank. That should keep him busy for a while.

And there you have it. The crazy comes out every time a Trump thread gets started, just like clockwork the nuts arrive.

You beat me to it. It seems another nut job is finding his legs on the LR. Two days ago it was i04 and yesterday it was xtremrun. Dan is breeding a lot of 'em these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not "full time resident" of this forum so I do not know enough about you, TheForge, but seems you are not a New Yorker. DeBlasio, independently of political theather performance that I assumed shaped your perception, is deeply embedded into real estate interests in NYC. He will be the last arrest ever initiated by WH since it would severely negatively affect business and developmental opportunnities of Trump Organization and Kushner Companies. And real estate in NYC is like sex and drugs for the most of America... too important to be affected even by politics or emotions. This is why cognitive dissonance is totally functional concept in NYC. Also, where are you?
Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [Distance Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My father lives there. And he loves this clown. But you are right, it isn't likely. Or if it happens, it will be in a token town where there are several bad hombres that can justify the disturbance to the status quo.

Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but introducing unrelated info and articles that don't even support your statement do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
No, but introducing unrelated info and articles that don't even support your statement do.

If you don't want people to comment on the title of your thread then don't put a title there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think so. On both points. Use that superior intellect you think you have. Halfway through I didn't see one mention of impeachable

funny that yup would miss this then...

"while carrying out such a threat would constitute an "impeachable offense.""

when others talk about it being illegal, guess what can happen after a president does something illegal.....

Quote:
A few weeks back when pressed you linked an article you admitted to not reading. Jose of us who did pointed out it didn't support the argument at hand. That wasn't the first time as pointed out to you

You're definitely misremembering something but you can prove that you're not by citing it. show me how its done.

Quote Reply
Re: How awesome would it be for Trump to have Sessions arrest DeBlasio? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
TheForge wrote:
You got your point across in many other thread. Let's keep the focus on politicians who through political pandering to illegal immigrants are putting American lives in danger.

If the Government is so concerned about illegal immigrants why don't they pass serious immigration reform? The republicans have the majority should be a piece of cake.

Why do they even need to do that? They are already here illegally and by existing law are supposed to be deported. Why do we need even more laws to enforce laws that are already on the books? The only thing that needs to be changed is for people in ICE to be told to do their damned jobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first and only example of Impeach I saw was this.

Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway tried to downplay Trump's threat, later saying it was just "a quip." However, some prominent lawyers and legal scholars took umbrage at the threat and expressed alarm. Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe told Fortune that even threatening such a thing was "incompatible with the survival of a stable constitutional republic," while carrying out such a threat would constitute an "impeachable offense."

Here is his complete quote.

Making threats or vows to use a nation's criminal justice system against one's vanquished political opponent is worse than terrible policy: it's incompatible with the survival of a stable constitutional republic and, under our Constitution, would represent an abuse of power so grave that it would be an impeachable offense—one reminiscent of Richard Nixon's deliberate use of the IRS to go after his political enemies."

This was specific to a threat to do it. Not the example I had. The threat and acting on it would be impeachable. Not the legitimate concern of a law broken and asking the justice dept to investigate.

The term doesn't come up anywhere else in the post.

Point two. Interestingly in the thread I was thinking of, I conflated the OP doing what I accused you of doing. Never fear, I found others.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6250887#p6250887

This one to. You can back page the numerous back and forth where you give no citation to support your "scientific opinion". But the last line in this post reminds me of what I really need to do with you and am going to after this. Ignore your little spin machine where you try to make yourself look smart.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6249902#p6249902

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5871137#p5871137

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5805808#p5805808 - Granted, this one is between you and Guru, that argument basically plays out with neither side winning, since neither of you are really good at presenting your argument with supporting facts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
The first and only example of Impeach I saw was this.

Trump's campaign manager Kellyanne Conway tried to downplay Trump's threat, later saying it was just "a quip." However, some prominent lawyers and legal scholars took umbrage at the threat and expressed alarm. Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe told Fortune that even threatening such a thing was "incompatible with the survival of a stable constitutional republic," while carrying out such a threat would constitute an "impeachable offense."

Here is his complete quote.

Making threats or vows to use a nation's criminal justice system against one's vanquished political opponent is worse than terrible policy: it's incompatible with the survival of a stable constitutional republic and, under our Constitution, would represent an abuse of power so grave that it would be an impeachable offense—one reminiscent of Richard Nixon's deliberate use of the IRS to go after his political enemies."

This was specific to a threat to do it. Not the example I had. The threat and acting on it would be impeachable. Not the legitimate concern of a law broken and asking the justice dept to investigate.

The term doesn't come up anywhere else in the post.

Point two. Interestingly in the thread I was thinking of, I conflated the OP doing what I accused you of doing. Never fear, I found others.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6250887#p6250887

This one to. You can back page the numerous back and forth where you give no citation to support your "scientific opinion". But the last line in this post reminds me of what I really need to do with you and am going to after this. Ignore your little spin machine where you try to make yourself look smart.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6249902#p6249902

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5871137#p5871137

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5805808#p5805808 - Granted, this one is between you and Guru, that argument basically plays out with neither side winning, since neither of you are really good at presenting your argument with supporting facts.

great, you found examples of me REJECTING other peoples claims. that doesn't require me citing evidence. you have it backwards. ironically, in that abortion thread. the page you linked to is me asking vitus to support his claim. a claim that he has asserted and refused to back up for 2 years. mjuric called him on the same exact claim in 2015.
but youll probabaly keep making the same incorrect accusation against me and ignore when others actually do it.

Last edited by: veganerd: Mar 29, 17 10:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next