Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month
Quote | Reply
I got a fever a month ago, broke after a day then felt like I had a a cold. Week 1 fever came back and they put me on antibiotics. While my upper back molar doesn't hurt, I did have some pain in my gums and bottom of my maxillary sinus. The antibiotics seemed to help the sinus/ upper gum pain.

One month later, I still feel crappy and have some discomfort above my molar, no real pain just feels weird. The tooth does have a cap on.

This same thing happened several months ago, endodontist said I needed a root canal, even though it didn't hurt like a typical bad tooth. I said lets wait a few days to see what the antibiotics do and a week later everything settled down and I started feeling better. I thought sinus infection.

I'm starting to believe the original cold and sinus infection has flared my tooth back up and I might be fighting some small infection in the tooth.

At this point I'm desperate and willing to get a root canal even if I don't need it. My body is definitely fighting something. One month is a long time.

Do I go back to my family doctor who basically knows nothing or trust my endodontist.
Quote Reply
Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an n=1 experience.
My kids got sick earlier this winter and subsequently my wife got sick(sinus infection), somehow I avoided it this time. They repeated the same pattern 2 weeks later with her getting what felt like another sinus infection. During the entire time she complained of her teeth aching. The sinus infection dragged on(mostly good, but just irritating) and so did the toothache for a total of almost 2 months. I encouraged her to see the doctor, but she choose to wait it out. I'll do the same for you, go get checked out by your doctor. Sinus infections are notorious for causing toothaches or go to a different endodontist and see if you get the same root canal advice.
Quote Reply
Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also has sore upper teeth coinciding with bad head colds - always assumed it was due to clogged sinuses and resulting pressure. (for me) Fortunately only happens like once a decade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd say get looked at. are you wisdom teeth still around? i'd also say to get a second opinion - i had a dentist once who said i needed a root canal, and another who said, "uh, don't get a root canal. take flagyl and cipro for a week." and i recovered sound as a pound.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes it is a difficult diagnosis if there is not clear raidographic evidence that the tooth in question is abcessed. The roots of the teeth in that area go right into the bed of the sinus cavity so a sinus infection can cause tooth symptoms. It is also possible that the sinus can infect the tooth. The antibiotics will knock back the infection but if the symptoms keep recurring that could be an indication that there is dead tissue in the canal system that may be behind the infection. Unless that dead tissue is cleaned out and the canal system is disinfected and sealed where the feeds come out at the tips of the root ( in the sinus bed ) it may be a sorce of recurrent infection.
Quote Reply
Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, I believe your diagnosis is what I'm experiencing. There is some inter-related connection between my tooth and my sinus that my body continues to fight. While the initial round of antibiotics did help improve the sinus/gum discomfort, it never really solved the ongoing problem.

I visit the endo on Thursday morning for an xray to see what's going on. He took one several months ago of the same tooth so I should have something to compare to see if there has been additional change.

I knew when I had to have the crown replaced last year (doctor said she could get probe around the edge of crown) that it was going to cause problems. The original crown always seemed to catch food and had a little ledge in the back. Since I had it replaced, this is the second time I've experienced some type of sinus/tooth problem associated with initially getting a bad cold.
Last edited by: summitt: Mar 28, 17 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck... let me know how it turns out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is allergies, especially since your teeth bothered you.

Take some claritin or something similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit the netti pot and cortisone nose spray for a week and see what happens

Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a weeping root canal in to my gum for i guess quite some time. My dentist said i needed to decide on redoing RC (would be third time, first time it abcessed as soon as it was done) second is now.

Or whether to do a crown or an implant

I have just done the implant as the RC just seems to be a recurring problem but i never thougb to connect the sinus pain to the abcessed tooth

Interesting
Quote Reply
Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes here is a radiograph that shows the relationship between the maxillary roots and the sinus cavity.[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: dentist/endodontist/sinus - I've been sick for a month [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
My guess is allergies, especially since your teeth bothered you.

Take some claritin or something similar.

I've had bad allergies when I was a kid and at times the ragweed and cottonwood trees will bother me but I can guarantee this is not an allergy. It started with a fever and I still have an achey feeling and really no sinus congestion, just some phlegm in the morning . I've never felt this bad with allergies. I feel like I'm running at 75%.

I'll give you an update tomorrow.

I'm heading down to Galveston on Friday and I'm 90% sure I'm going to pass on Texas 70.3. I'll cheer the wife on. Probably not a good idea to stress my body. I ran an hour last weekend and while the run went okay, the rest of the day I felt like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:
Good luck... let me know how it turns out.

Will need a root canal - small infection around the top of the nerve which he said is encapsulated. Looked like a small bubble on the xray and there was a change since July when he told me I will eventually need a root canal. He did say that it is highly unlikely that my tooth is causing me to feel crappy - now at day 32. I start antibiotics on Monday and scheduled Tues for the root canal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it would be very unusual for that problem to cause the systemic effects you described. Usually those kind of tooth/sinus problems are pretty localized but at least you're getting this problem taken care of and hopefully your general crappyness will resolve on it's own or you will be able to figure out what's behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was prescribed antibiotics and for 1 week I slept 12 hours a day and wouldn't eat. I could force myself to go to work and when I came home I collapsed till the next day. Switched to a different antibiotic and i regained normal function 2 or so days later. Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Root canal is over, it was infected but not causing me any pain. I probably should have had it done last July but thought all was good when it settled down. I have to go back in a week or so to get if filled by the endodontist. I'm on antibiotics for a few days and have some steroids.

I'm now at five weeks of feeling crappy. While he continues to say this is not what's likely causing my malaise, I remained convinced that I'm going to start feeling better in a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good... glad you got it taken care of and I hope you start feeling better soon.
Quote Reply