Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm eagerly excited to participate in my first triathlon and half ironman this weekend in Galveston. My team kit isn't going to make it in time so am scrambling for a pair of tri shorts. I was thinking of buying one on Saturday during the check in at the village in the vendor areas.

Are they typically fair prices and have some sort of variety? I'm not very particular...just want something relatively cheap to get me through because my team kit is going to be in real soon anyways.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [FlaashKab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you wanna do your first in a brand new kit you not even know the brand of?
Seriously something I would highly not recommend. Never try anything new on race day.
Just my 2 cents

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlaashKab wrote:
Hi,

I'm eagerly excited to participate in my first triathlon and half ironman this weekend in Galveston. My team kit isn't going to make it in time so am scrambling for a pair of tri shorts. I was thinking of buying one on Saturday during the check in at the village in the vendor areas.

Are they typically fair prices and have some sort of variety? I'm not very particular...just want something relatively cheap to get me through because my team kit is going to be in real soon anyways.

Thanks!

This is IM we're talking about. I'm not sure fair and deals figure into their equation. On the plus side I think Zoot is their clothing sponsor this year. On the negative side you can probably get a much better price after the race on any IM gear...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlaashKab wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

No things are usually not cheap at expos and usually to the contrary. You might be able to find a local shop that is trying to unload some old inventory and might score something but it is hit and miss plus you won't have a chance to use it. If you are a Prime member, my suggestion is just get a pair of these shorts, buy 2 sizes, return the one that doesn't fit. You will have them by Thursday and you can test them out Thursday night, Friday, and or Saturday.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playtri usually has a pretty big booth with good sales going on at Galveston. Keep an eye out for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
No things are usually not cheap at expos and usually to the contrary. You might be able to find a local shop that is trying to unload some old inventory and might score something but it is hit and miss plus you won't have a chance to use it. If you are a Prime member, my suggestion is just get a pair of these shorts, buy 2 sizes, return the one that doesn't fit. You will have them by Thursday and you can test them out Thursday night, Friday, and or Saturday.

This. It's always possible to get lucky and find something that fits well, at a reasonable price, which works out for your riding style/duration and weather conditions on the day... but I sure as shit would not stake the entry cost and weeks/months of training for a major race to find out. As a general rule, expect to get bent over and reamed to the maximum possible extent that naked Capitalism will allow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll see better prices after the fact but I've not found their gear to be crazy overpriced at the expo.
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Sure you wanna do your first in a brand new kit you not even know the brand of?
Seriously something I would highly not recommend. Never try anything new on race day.
Just my 2 cents

I always think that you should try one new thing on race day. Not saying a risky thing, but go ahead and try something new. If it works, great. You could be better for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll disagree with what some have said so far. In general I think the pricing before the race at non-WTC booths at the expo are reasonable and if you're lucky you might find a sale item or two that works for you. The closer the the end of the expo (and after the race if still setup) you can find some better sales. That doesn't make the initial prices unfair though. As far as the WTC branded gear, there's no such thing as fair. You're paying extra for the branding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are usually a bunch of tents in the IM village and I've always found items there on sale. My wife would buy a bunch of sale gear for the upcoming season. Now, if you're looking in the official IM tent, then no. You won't find anything good there on sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I'll disagree with what some have said so far. In general I think the pricing before the race at non-WTC booths at the expo are reasonable and if you're lucky you might find a sale item or two that works for you. The closer the the end of the expo (and after the race if still setup) you can find some better sales. That doesn't make the initial prices unfair though. As far as the WTC branded gear, there's no such thing as fair. You're paying extra for the branding.

Agreed for the non-IM branded gear and booths.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think in your case I'd eat the next-day shipping costs and get a pair of PI or LG tri shorts and at least try them out Fri/Sat. Worst case you don't like them and try something fresh off the rack at the race like you were going to anyways.
Last edited by: FlyingScot: Mar 29, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlaashKab wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
What did you train in?
I wouldn't use untried shorts in a race.

If you weren't using tri shorts I'd suggest it's too late to change now without taking a big risk. If you were using standard cycling shorts in training then stick with them for the race. You can spend a minute changing into running shorts in T2 if necessary.
You say it's your first triathlon, but is it your first time running straight off the bike? Have you ever done a duathlon or did you do any brick sessions in training? (a cycle followed immediately by a run). If so what did you use?
If you've never run immediately off the bike before, you might not enjoy your first few minutes of the run leg!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avoid anything with an M-Dot symbol in the Ironman Village. It will save you an approximate mark up of 50%.
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you get injured? why have you crossed out Galveston in your sig?
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He might have seen the Galveston forecast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
you get injured? why have you crossed out Galveston in your sig?

Yes, twisted my knee about a month ago stepping off the running path and that put me out of commission for about four weeks. Just got back into it last week. I also missed an entire month of training in Dec-Jan due to illness. My lack of fitness resulting from both of those would make for an absolutely miserable bike and run. I will be down there spectating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, sorry to hear!

Flyingscot - we all have to deal with the weather, so no biggie what it is unless they cancel the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That right there is what they call a joke... serves me right for not using pink text, I guess
Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
That right there is what they call a joke... serves me right for not using pink text, I guess

I took it as a joke.

Quote Reply
Re: Vendors in Ironman Village fair prices? [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew it was a joke that would be the reason he's not doing the race. My comment was just about the shit forecast in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Dang, sorry to hear!

No biggie. I have other races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:

I took it as a joke.

You were at NOLA 70.3 last year, so I have zero doubt in my mind you don't have any reservations about weather!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I stocked up on zoot stuff at the IM WI expo last year on day 2. Wasn't racing and found stuff considerably cheaper than retail there.
Quote Reply