Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me become a better salesperson [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the love of God get a website make it good, lots of pictures and even if you didn't officially win the award mention you were part of the team. We did a major Reno (moved out for 6 months ) a few years ago and quite honestly I might have missed the best guy but there are to many Reno guys to interview every company I looked at award winners and websites picked 6 or so and then picked the one I liked. No website you would have needed a killer refreal to even get in the door. As for the sales part let your work sell itself we didn't pick the smoothest talker but in the end the the work and full package was what we wanted.

If you want more info on what helped us make our decision let me know we are in calgary so slightly different market, but for major renos suspect the same decision factors as Victoria.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Help me become a better salesperson [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Get a basic website and lower your price by 5%.

You will probably be getting 20% more business.

I completely disagree with this approach, it's nothing more than a race to the bottom. Especially since he's likely being subbed out already, which means BCTriguy is either working at a discount already OR leaving money on the table. I suspect that the 2nd scenario is the most likely. If a person wants their work to valued, then they must value it themselves. If someone opens negotiations by complaining about your rate on an open ended job such as a reno. That person can not afford you and even if they can, lowering your price will not make them happier it'll be a wedge that they'll work to squeeze you even more later on.

Yeah, I'm not playing that race to the bottom game. Again, it's not that I'm not busy. I'm very busy. I'm just not attracting enough of the type of work I want to be doing, and I think my price has little to do with it.

You are right. When I am sub-contracted under a builder, I am leaving money on the table. They typically make all the mark-up. On one hand, there is less work involved on my end, as they are ultimately responsible for the job and all the paperwork that comes with it, so it's not like that is free money they are earning, but still.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me become a better salesperson [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
What are you aiming to be in terms of a company? Do you want to stay small ie you and maybe a helper or two or do you want to get bigger? For me a fancy website and painted trucks don't impress as I know there are plenty of companies that do crappy work that do that too. I had my house built 12 years ago on time and materials because I had a high level of trust in the builder. I had found unsolicited references from people they had built homes for and they were all good. What about talking to the people who you have done good work for and asking if they are willing to talk to prospective clients? A basic website with a portfolio is probably a good idea. If you are okay about staying small I think if you are more patient you will eventually get to working directly for the clients. If I want someone to do work on my house I also ask my neighbour who has lived in this town all his life and knows who does good work and who does not.

In my ideal world, I would like to grow to have maybe 6-7 full time employees. I currently have 3. My jobs typically involve the direct management of 10-20 people aside from my employees.

Part of the problem with growing right now is there is an extreme shortage of carpenters here. It's great in that everyone is busy and people are dying to get you to commit to your project... but on the flip side, it's insanely difficult to actually hire people to service that work load. The future looks bleak too... no one is in trade school right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me become a better salesperson [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
I dunno. If you get busy then when will you find time to fuck-off on the LR?

On the plus side, I'd get to read less of your verbal diarrhea.

Again, the problem is not that I'm not busy.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me become a better salesperson [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate everyone's advice (well accept for Rodred and Old Hickory, surprise surprise). A lot to consider and some great advice in there (especially that clip about always being closing!).

Quote Reply

Prev Next