Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wanted to check in and see how you and your family are doing. You don't have to reply, just know that we're thinking of you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thinking about this - how's it all going?
Quote Reply
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Just thinking about this - how's it all going?

Thanks for asking. It's gone from bad to better. Drugs, therapy and sunshine have really helped. We had to swap one drug for another due to side effects but once we got a drug that worked the improvement was noticeable. I slept downstairs near her room for about a month, probably the longest month I can remember, but it was the right thing to do.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very thankful to hear there is improvement. Those of us with teenage daughters realize we are all on the ragged edge trying to get them through the teen years into adulthood. Will check back in a bit and looking forward to your lessons learned once you're through this passage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome news, sir. I wasn't here in March, so I started with your initial post and read through this thread, at first with a sense of dread. I'm so glad to learn of these improvements. Certainly, the best wishes of my wife and I will be with you and your daughter as you both work your way through this condition. Good luck and much support sent your way.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Very thankful to hear there is improvement. Those of us with teenage daughters realize we are all on the ragged edge trying to get them through the teen years into adulthood. Will check back in a bit and looking forward to your lessons learned once you're through this passage.

In the interest of transparency I want you all to know it's turned out that she had been cutting herself for months before she was diagnosed, we had no clue. We talk openly about it now and she hasn't had a relapse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seen that - it's crazy and takes time for us parents (Dad's in particular) to grasp it. You're on it , acknowledging the issues, and open about the reality - you're a great Dad, she's lucky to have you. Believe me, while you're on the edge, I'm very close depending on the day/time/issue. My eldest once told me she wants to kill herself, and told me she's so depressed she can't finish high school. I feel your pain, and while a million miles from your current reality, just a moment away from my own reality.

Look forward to another positive report in a few months. Hang in there, lots of us are thinking about you and your daughter and here if you need anything. Anything at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad things are looking up.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have first hand knowledge of this having gone through it with one child (boy) and loosing him to suicide by hanging. We hid everything, that didn't stop it. We spent many nights in his room or on the sofa or not sleeping. We did EVERYTHING- psychiatrist, meds, working with the school etc. He wasn't like your kiddo tho- he got into drugs, bad friends and crazy stuff. We even had to hospitalize him; that's when they changed his meds from Lexepro/abilify to Seroquel. DO NOT use this drug! I warn everyone. Try to read HURT 2.0 to understand this culture of kids in this day and age. They range from achievers to drug users.
My other son is on Lexepro and quite the ability after a while. He was just always depressed like your girl with dysthemia plus anxiety and intrusive thoughts. He too is with both a psychiatrist and psychologist and as he has matured has really grown well and is really able to manage most of it but there are times I still worry. I can't go through this again. The book above really speaks to the unspoken pain all these kids feel and act out on. I will keep you in my prayers. Nature is right on! and my older son loves his animals. Just petting them or sleeping with them helps tremendously. I also add we've done a lot of family therapy as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that things are going better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Seen that - it's crazy and takes time for us parents (Dad's in particular) to grasp it. You're on it , acknowledging the issues, and open about the reality - you're a great Dad, she's lucky to have you. Believe me, while you're on the edge, I'm very close depending on the day/time/issue. My eldest once told me she wants to kill herself, and told me she's so depressed she can't finish high school. I feel your pain, and while a million miles from your current reality, just a moment away from my own reality.

Look forward to another positive report in a few months. Hang in there, lots of us are thinking about you and your daughter and here if you need anything. Anything at all.

Thanks again. I ask my daughter regularly how she feels. She's a 6 out of ten today, which is a lot better then when I first started this thread. One thing to add is she got her first "B" on her final report card. It really set her back for a week but I think in the long run it was a good thing for her to see that the world did not end because she's no longer "perfect".

Quote Reply
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I haven't read it, but this could help:

https://www.amazon.com/...-Teens/dp/0786885971

I appreciate the link. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - thinking about you and the realities of life for your daughter. Hope its slowly improving.
Quote Reply
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [wildhorse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn I'm sorry you had to go through that and still do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My eldest nephew had something similar. He is in medical school now, went ivy for undergrad and valedictorian in high school. From the outside everything looked great, but he puts a lot of pressure on himself to succeed. He got his first B on a test as a college sophmore and to him, the world was over. He did very well in counseling and is very successful now in medical school. I think his anxiety about grades and getting inyo medical school created his depression. Sorry so long winded but what are your daughters goals and is she nervous or anxious about being successful in achieving those goals. I think overachievers are so used to succeeding that when the future is cloudy for them ie where she is planning to go to college ect can trigger anxiety which then leads to depression. To quote yoda"always cloudy is the future" and for over achievers cloudy is very scary. Just my opinion based on my own experience as i am not a psychologist.
You are doing all the right things :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [Mickey warrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mickey warrior wrote:
My eldest nephew had something similar. He is in medical school now, went ivy for undergrad and valedictorian in high school. From the outside everything looked great, but he puts a lot of pressure on himself to succeed. He got his first B on a test as a college sophmore and to him, the world was over. He did very well in counseling and is very successful now in medical school. I think his anxiety about grades and getting inyo medical school created his depression. Sorry so long winded but what are your daughters goals and is she nervous or anxious about being successful in achieving those goals. I think overachievers are so used to succeeding that when the future is cloudy for them ie where she is planning to go to college ect can trigger anxiety which then leads to depression. To quote yoda"always cloudy is the future" and for over achievers cloudy is very scary. Just my opinion based on my own experience as i am not a psychologist.
You are doing all the right things :-)

My daughter is a type "A" overachiever. She plans to go to Stanford, become a doctor and then be part of Doctors without Borders. Great aspirations, but she is her own worst enemy. I said above she got her first "B" this year. Fortunately she seemed to take that quite well. School starts in another week. Volleyball practice has already started for her. I'm not sure if she's better off in school or out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mum has suffered from depression from her teenage years pretty much up to very recently, where she seems a lot more chill (she's 72 this year).
Several suicide attempts in a 50 year or so timeframe. And frankly, the only advice I have is be there for her, and don't blame yourself when she feels bad.
It really sucks, and I can't even imagine how it feels when it's your child.
There is a variety of drugs to manage symptoms, but they all come with side effects, and affect people differently.
I think in teens the typical timeframe to call the dx dysthymia is 12 months per DSM5 though. Also, it's typically seen as a somewhat milder form of depression,
and the estimate is around 25% of teens experience some form of depression, so hopefully, it is short-lived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my love to you. As a person who suffers from chronic depression and suicidal tendencies all I can say is love her and do what the doctors say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I have a couple of great daughters. My eldest, who just turned 15 was recently diagnosed with dysthymia. If you are like me you've never heard of it.; "Persistent depressive disorder". She has been feeling depressed for 6+ months. We've been taking her to talk to a psychologist, she is on meds but not much seems to work so far.

From the outside you'd think she had a great life. All "A" student. Student body President. Star athlete....good friends. Volunteers to help the homeless. She's the definition of an overachiever, which is funny because it's something I have never been. But to hear her talk she's just never happy. She says it's worse for her on the weekends when she has down time and can "think". My wife and I have talked to her about whether she's putting too much pressure on herself to be "perfect" and assured her that we don't care about anything but her well being. We've given her the option to go to an easier school, just cut back, whatever she wants, but she tells us she wants to stay where she is. And the doctor seems to agree.

And now it gets scary. Today after she met with her doctor we were told we need to remove knives, razor blades, medicines nightly so she can't get them. We're basically on a suicide watch. I am sure some of you have been through something similar either personally or with family/friends. I am not sure what else we can do as a parents except try and keep a close eye on her 24x7 365, tell her often how much we love her and hope that she/we can get through this dark time. The alternative is that she's not going to survive this, and that's just something I can't think about without losing my shit. I am going to sleep on the couch near her room until we get through this because I don't think I'll be able to sleep in my room anyways.

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Reading this gave me a strong sense of Déjà vu. About 12 years ago our daughter was in a very similar place. She sounds very much like your daughter in so many ways. The only big difference I see is that our daughter reached her lowest point as a senior in HS. At least one med they tried made it even worse . . . she tried taking a bottle full of sleeping pills and ended up in the ER and then in the adolescent psych ward for about a week. It took several months, but they were able to come up with meds that helped. I believe she was on them for at least a couple more years.

I wish I could remember more details that might help, but I can tell you that not only did she get through it, she has gone on to thrive. She just got married this spring to a wonderful guy, is already expecting a baby and super excited. She has a dream job, lives in her childhood dream area of Southern CA, and just in general has a great life and really happy. So, I believe you will get through this as well though it might not be easy.

It sounds to me like you already are doing all the right things to support her and help her through this. Our daughter often comes right out and says how thankful she is for our unconditional love and support. Hang in there, and keep believing!
Quote Reply
Re: Daughter diagnosed with dysthymia [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonderful to hear how your daughter not only survived but is grateful for her life. It's inspiring.

Quote Reply

Prev Next