Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt AR BB Advise
Quote | Reply
I'm currently acquiring the necessary items I need to compete my first build I've done myself (well, I'll take it to a shop to do the dirty work). I know the AR uses a BB30 bottom bracket but there needs to be an adapter for shimano cranks. I've also came across the Wheels BB30 to Outboard BB... So would this be the best option for using an Ultegra crank or so I get a different BB and use an adapter?

Benefits from one to another?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR BB Advise [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I'm currently acquiring the necessary items I need to compete my first build I've done myself (well, I'll take it to a shop to do the dirty work). I know the AR uses a BB30 bottom bracket but there needs to be an adapter for shimano cranks. I've also came across the Wheels BB30 to Outboard BB... So would this be the best option for using an Ultegra crank or so I get a different BB and use an adapter?

I love the Wheels Manufacturing inboard->outboard BB on my Felt DA.

Benefits are that it's far easier to install, maintain, clean, and replace relative to true BB30 pressfit bearings.

The downside is that it's a smaller bearing, and larger bearings are, in theory, better than smaller bearings, all things equal.

But in all honesty, I don't think the bearing size difference has any measurable effect in this case. The Wheels bearings are really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What dirty work?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR BB Advise [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not dirty... but I do not have all the proper tools to install the bb or chain.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the bottom bracket adapters just press in and no tool is needed.

A chain tool is about ten dollars.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt AR BB Advise [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I believe the bottom bracket adapters just press in and no tool is needed.

A chain tool is about ten dollars.

So I also need a cassette tool, stand etc. I would love to have the necessary tools and learn the skills. Something to think about this week while I receive the parts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cassette lockring tool is about $6 and a chain whip is $16.

You don't need a stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a Nashbar starter toolset. It has most of what you need to get started and just got specific tools beyond that as needed. Bought this one here a long time ago when finally getting back into cycling: http://www.nashbar.com/...2_524452_-1___204676

But, it will contain a chain tool, cassette lockring tool, chainwhip and other goodies (threaded BB tool, but that won't help you with a B30/PF30 though). I found it very helpful actually over the years.

You really don't need a stand. I sometimes use my fluid trainer to work on my bike actually (as long as what I'm working on doesn't require rear wheel removal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will also want to get a cable housing/cable cutter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:

Yes. Best option. What I've had on my AR for 11-12000 miles now.
Quote Reply