Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar
Quote | Reply
Looking for feedback on this set up or something close. 45/ Disc. Etc Etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running the classic zipp hybrid carbon AL-rimmed 808 on the front and a similar zipp 1080 on the rear.

Works great.

What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 27, 17 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just don't feel like I see this combo much. Everything is 60/90 or 60 disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing this coming weekend and expecting decent gusts up to 20. I have a set of Enve 45-60 and Enve System 8.9. I'll be mix matching those for this race with the 45mm front and 89mm rear. I've done it a couple of times before; giving up just a little bit of aero to avoid having to fight the wind so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't see too many FLOs where I ride and even then, it is a 60/60 (for road) some users have 60/90 most tt bikes (got this on my roadie) and 90/disc for my TT bike. I wouldn't consider anything less than a 90/disc on a TT bike but that's just me!

what crosswinds are you petrified of that you'd consider 45/90 or 45/disc???

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have the 45s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very well, a disc is you need then! nothing more to say on that since buying a 60 or 90 wont do much except for leaving your wallet lighter!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Zipp 404 in the front (almost 60mm) and a disc in the back and it's windy as a mofo here. Never had a problem with it. Just did a 100 miler yesterday and it was gusts over 20 and barely noticed the front. The back got pushed around some, but I actually like that. Feels like sailing. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with a Jet 4+, a Jet 9+, and a Jet Disc+. 95% of the time I race with a Jet 4 and a Jet Disc. For most wheels, inside of 5 degrees the drag difference between a 40mm and a 60mm is pretty minimal. That gap widens a bit between 5 and 10 degrees of yaw but you're still only talking about 1-2 watts at most. As you approach 15 degrees of yaw the differences get larger and start to become consequential. For myself, personally, the wind speeds necessary to see that sort of yaw on a sustained basis are the sort of winds that make me glad I have a shallower front wheel.

I also have a set of 404 NSWs on my Shiv (58mm deep iirc), a Jet 6, an H3+, and a Jet 9+. The 404 NSW handles similarly to my Jet 4+. The Jet 6+ gives just a bit more "push" than the 404 NSW and the H3+ is similar but just a touch more twitchy. The Jet 9+ is like having a sail on your front wheel. If you can handle such a wheel in high winds I tip my hat to you. I'm a reasonably big guy at 6'1" 175lbs and I get blown about quite a bit on the Jet 9+.

I'm having a disc cover made for my Jet 9+ rear and I intend to travel with just the Jet 4/9 this summer. I'm also rolling the dice on tubeless by giving the new Vittoria Corsa Speed a go ;) I hope tubeless tires travel well đŸ¤”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frederick Van Lierde was running a shallower front wheel that looked to be in the 45-50mm range not too long ago on his P5-6 before he went to the P5-X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Hed Jet Express 50, and Jet 60, 90, and Disc.
The 50 is definitely better in cross winds.
I did Wildflower LC last year with the 60 and Disc and it was harrowing (super windy all day); wished I had the 50.

If cross winds bother you, the 50 is probably a better overall choice just for piece of mind.
And if you can afford it, the Zipp NSW 454 looks really interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is running 45/90 wheel setup or something similar [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was planning on upgrading to 60/90 but that maybe in question now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run a Zipp front 404 / 900 rear disc combo on my P4 for the last few years with good success. Did a few races last year with my new set of Enve 8.9s and will be experimenting with an Enve front / Zipp disc rear combo this year. Would not hesitate to recommend the 404/disc set as a good all purpose combo..
Quote Reply