Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks?
Quote | Reply
Since Wrightsock mysteriously discontinued their DLX running sock, I've had a hard time finding a suitable replacement. Has anyone found a favorite that they'd recommend, preferably of the 'double layer, moderate to heavy cushion, quarter height' variety? I'm not brand loyal so I'm open to whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know why but, for me, the injinji toe-socks have left me blister free for the last few years. Maybe it is a question of where you get the blisters too but given the state of my toes, they work well for me.
Happy trails...
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had pretty good luck with Balega Hidden Comfort socks. No blisters, comfy, long lasting.

Caveat: more distance running than Tri-specific long course knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get a lot of blisters on my toes from having shoes with narrow toebox and regular socks.

Even though i have the same narrow shoes i get n ot blisters with enjinji socks (toe finger socks) give those bad boyz a try.

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [Barrtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangely, I've never had blisters until last December when I did a half (in the DLXs). Now I'm getting them on almost every run, especially on the top inside of my big toes. Not sure why, climate and shoes are all the same. I'll check these out.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [Barrtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: 1 5 mile run in the Injinji's was moderately successful. Boy are they hard to get on, but they seemed comfy enough. They didn't prohibit the blister that keeps reforming on the outside of my left big toe - somehow that's turned into a troublesome area. Doing another run today, might try some KTape on that spot too. All other areas were blister free though.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know whether this might be part of the issue if the blister is on the outside of the big toe, but as I have used more minimalist footwear (and added in the toe socks) my feet have just got wider and I have had to shift to shoes with a wider toe box to accomodate this. The toe socks are best at preventing blisters from parts of toes rubbing against others....not sure if toe socks (or any sock for that matter) help much if the shoes themselves rub. Less shoe and wider toe box solved my problems. Good luck and let me know how it goes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Injinji toes socks are good against blisters between toes, but do take a bit of getting used to. Since you've revealed where your blister occurs, they may actually make matters worse since they consume extra width in the toe box. Perhaps it's time for a different shoe with slightly different pressure points.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with plain paper tape for interior toe trouble spots. I've also had good luck with just doing double socks for dealing with blisters at shoe contact points. I need the extra padding for other reasons, anyway.

I haven't tried the toe socks...how do those work in T1/T2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a big problem with foot blistering...I can get a blister running 5k on the treadmill. Getting a blister on long runs is a given. I have tried all angles to prevent: changing socks, using Bodyglide, widest toebox shoes I can find (Altra), antiperspirant, and taping.

The best results have been with using Leukotape and the foamy under-wrap. The under-wrap is a new thing for me, but has had the best benefit. It is a bit of a pain to do all the taping before a run, but it beats getting blisters. Not sure what I will do when I am in race season...seems like the older I get the worse they are getting.

https://www.orthocanada.com/en/leukotape-p-15-x-45-1-roll
https://www.orthocanada.com/en/prewrap-underwrap-275-x-30-yd-single-roll
Last edited by: JMac650c: Apr 5, 17 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to say they are not much help in T1/T2 - although practice does help and try not to panic - but sort of by definition they are slower. That said of course, a blister isn't fast and the toe socks are a great help there!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
freightrain121 wrote:
I have had pretty good luck with Balega Hidden Comfort socks. No blisters, comfy, long lasting.

Seconded. They are my go-to sock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used smartwool socks for years and never had even a hotspot. I've gone from 5k-100mi (front door brag) in them and while I will train in a variety of socks those are always my long distance and race socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
Since you've revealed where your blister occurs, they may actually make matters worse since they consume extra width in the toe box. Perhaps it's time for a different shoe with slightly different pressure points.

Dear Lord I hope not, I spent the longest time finding that Bondi's fit me like a glove, I'd hate to start the search over. I shall experiment and report back...
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reefblastbody wrote:
freightrain121 wrote:

Thirded. Also body glide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Balega Blister Resist https://www.balega.com/...al-fiber-performance

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 5, 17 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
reefblastbody wrote:
freightrain121 wrote:

Fourthed. So soft. I just bought some new ones and noticed a big difference in bounciness vs. my year old hidden comforts.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OP, reporting back. Got in 5.something miles today - flat terrain, moderate temp, Wrightsock Running socks with Kinesio tape over problem area. Blister returns. I can't even feel it when I run, but lo and behold it's back.

I will take the Balega recommendations under advisement. And also try the new Bondis that arrived today. Although I'm on my third pair of them and this never happened before a couple weeks ago, whether they were new or broken in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried putting some moleskin around it rather than trying to put stuff over the blister? That should help it to heal up. You might be able to find pre-made corn relief foam or moleskin bandages that look like donuts. Hopefully could find one with a hole big enough for the blister and that will stay on for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
mgreer wrote:
reefblastbody wrote:
freightrain121 wrote:

Fourthed. So soft. I just bought some new ones and noticed a big difference in bounciness vs. my year old hidden comforts.

Fifthed. These are the best songs hands down for running. I run in extremely hot and humid conditions in which my feet squish-squish from the moisture with each foot strike. I can go 35km and come out blister free. Same in tri...give me those buckets of ice water...I'm not afraid of blisters!

Wait...I use Hidden Dry...are these the same as Hidden Comfort?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, I better go get some of these...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a shit-ton of foot powder which helps to slip them on faster. I look like Pig-pen running out of T2 in a cloud of dust.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for good anti-blister running socks? [JMac650c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend Trail Toes for lubing your feet - it is pure magic.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at your shoes first. I get blisters in one of my shoes regardless of socks (so I don't use them much!). Otherwise I did well with injinji toes socks WITH bodygkide in the toes and sides of my feet beforehand. They're good for a regular run. I would want to be struggling with them in a tri. Then the swiftwicks are great. They have super thin versions along with some ticker ones.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70 K trail race this past Sunday, Injinity Trail socks worked great, no hotspots or blisters, I was running in Hoka SpeedGoats.
Quote Reply