https://nl.aliexpress.com/...ANT/32798182129.html
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter AliExpress [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stages/4iii/pioneer/shimano tech.

I think this clearly shows that making a power meter is a near trivial engineering exercise. Making a powermeter that is also a consumer product is hard. Also they are cheap tech. Strain gauge, standard electronics, bonding, enclosure, battery and your off.

We had a summer student who created a strain gauge system with BT coms in 3 months. Everything a crank arm powermeter would be minus the accelerometer cadence. This proto was about 5x the size, but V2 would have been maybe 1.5 the size of stages. My estimation of the project was that V2 was about 20% engineering effort completed.
Quote Reply
Re: Powermeter AliExpress [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Making a powermeter that is also a consumer product is hard.

I am a Hardware Engineer, and this basically applies for any product. It's "easy" to mock something up that does what you want it to do, but it's a completely different game to design something that is manufacturable, and can be made in the hundreds of thousands of pieces, and have a low defect ratio.

I use to design LCD TVs, I did that for about 5 years for one of the biggest TV makers, our TVs were made in the millions per year, and it was a huge challenge to make something that would survive the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next up ....high end shoes....they have a profit margin off the charts.
Mavic is selling a shoe for 900Euro...that I could replicate for a fraction of the costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Repeatable volume manufacturing is the tricky bit. Most of my previous electronic engineering was about manufacturing design. I've spent a lot of time solving similar problems to the ones all power meters need to solve. It's not straightforward, as Limits, Brim Brothers have shown us.

This one might work, but as DCR has noted, even their own data doesn't really show that.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Mar 26, 17 13:06
Quote Reply