Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wife's Toe Injury before half marathon - help with solution!
Quote | Reply
My wife has a half marathon tomorrow morning that she's been planning on doing and training for, but injured her toe a few days ago on some concrete stairs. She's dead set on running the half marathon, so backing out isn't an option.
What can she do to minimize issues? I put a picture below of what it looked like yesterday. I see there are "liquid bandages" that are similar to glue. Is that a good option? Is she better off just wrapping it up?
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's Toe Injury before half marathon - help with solution! [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put a band-aid on and run....?

That doesn't look like too big of a deal to me. It may hurt a bit but no more than a blister would and a blister in that position shouldn't make you slow down at all.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Wife's Toe Injury before half marathon - help with solution! [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second skin, amazing stuff.
Think it is now sold asbeing for burns
Love it for blisters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do NOT put any band aid on it. That will just create a secondary rash.

The good news is she won't really feel it after about 20min of running IF you put a lot of Chamois Butter or equivalent around it. It may feel a bit squishy and slippery in her sock but the injury should not get worse and she will not be in a lot of pain. I do this regularly for marathon's and never get blisters. Use lots in her sock, I rub it between my toes and leave a liberal layer over my skin around the toes. Again, it does feel strange running but the alternative is a lot worse and she'll miss out on the experience she trained for.

Tell her good luck and post back how she did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello All -

This is "the wife" here to give a report on how the race went. This was the Livermore Half Marathon and was a perfect 55 degrees and cloudy out. If you're from the area it was a beautiful run through the vineyards and horse farms on the rural side of the Bay - and it isn't uphill both ways like the SF half ;)
Thank you for your suggestions! I ended up using liquid bandaid the night before and slathered chamois butter all over the toe box the morning of. It didn't bother me at all until about mile 10, when everything starts to get a bit tender in general, and I started to feel every rock I accidentally ran over. There was a bit of blood in my sock at the end, but overall it was a great race! I got home and taped a bit of gauze and Neosporin on it and it feels a lot better today.
I had bronchitis 2 weeks ago and was at a week long bachelorette party until I flew home at midnight the night before, so there were no PR's this time, but I felt good crossing the finish line.

Thank you again for the suggestions!

And to the person who said it looked like a blister - I was a gymnast back in the day and it was more like a really bad "grip rip" where the thick skin folds over itself then splits. I can't for the life of me figure out how it happened, I was walking up some stairs watching some tourists fight and tripped a bit...then noticed I was splashing blood with my flip flops and leaving quite a trail! We were staying in a beach house so it never really got a chance to heal because it was constantly wet.
Quote Reply