Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
can we just add that these athletes need to then be held to the same admission standards as every other student at the school, that is, if they are to be paid. cuz we all know many are not. let 'em go from HS to pro. some make it that way. if they want to be paid, just go that route.

or, now we just up everyone's tuition to cover new salaries. money has to come from somewhere, many universities are not for profit after all.

how much salary will a 70 person football team take? is the salary the same for all student athletes or just the revenue generating ones. do bench/practice squad folks get salary too? they are putting in just as much effort

edit: looking up possible fake data for my alma mater:

University of Wisconsin - Madison competes in 23 sports and has a total of 1003 student athletes: 465 men and 538 women.
Total Sports Related Revenues$101,490,339Total Sports Related Expenses$99,962,504Net$1,527,835

result would be $1523/athlete

Does that account for facilities maintenance? I read an article awhile ago where managing the stadium, practice facilites etc. for a lot of schools came out of the general budget or capital budget, i.e. anything but the athletics budget to show better numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no clue
Quote Reply
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in school the stipends were only allowed for those who lived off campus.
So if you lived the dorms: books, classes, room and board. No spending money
If you lived off campus got a$400 (in season with dinner training table) to 450 off season per month scholarship check to cover rent and food. During my senior yr (1990) my rent was $230ish in a 3 bedroom house 5 miles away from campus with 2 roommates. Campus apartments were more expensive. Without my parents support and summer job money, I would not have been able to buy food (230lb linebackers eat A LOT )for the Month and put gas in the car to go to class and practice (stadium and practice fields were 3 miles from campus yeah I know run or bike. It rains in Oregon a lot and I did ride this more than once or twice and it sucked and I was late alot during that period).
So again the main thing is an amount to give pocket and food money. Some of the poorer guys got Pell Grants, they helped but what about the guys who did get the Pell Grant?
So again 500 to 1000 for guys in campus housing / non campus housing an additional 1k per month. Depending on location. Big city more small city less.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How many employees in tech or pharmaceuticals for exqmple, get paid by what they develop or invent?

This is missing the point. The pharma companies have not formed a trust to unfairly limit my salary or to drive out competition that would offer more fair compensation.

The "trust that is used to limit compensation" is the only relevant piece.

If I write some code for some software and Hewlett Packard sells it and makes a million dollars, I might only get paid $120,000. If I think that is bullshit, I can quit and go work for IBM and make more money. If Hewlett interviews for my now vacant position and gets 5 candidates with the same skills who are willing to work for $120,000, then my work wasn't really worth any more than that. If I'm really that good, they'll pay me more (like a friend of mine who makes $300,000 at Google). If I'm really freakin' good, and innovative, like Steve Wozniak, I might get millions of dollars in Apple stock.

However, if Apple, HP, and IBM form a trust, they can agree not to pay anyone more than $100,000 and keep the rest for themselves. "Yeah, but you are getting paid a lot. I wish I made that much. You are getting great experience and exposure. You'll make much more money later. 1% of all software engineers end up forming their own companies and getting rich. You have access to cutting edge tools. Etc." None of that changes the fact that they formed a trust to unfairly limit your wages.

BTW, Apple and a bunch of other tech companies did exactly this a few decades ago, got sued, and lost.

Anyway, according to JSA, its okay to do this to athletes because they are students. The reasoning behind that, according to him, is self evident.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NCAA isn't an organization that has organized all of the competition together under the same set of rules that limits the compensation of the people playing under them?

I've said this before, in fact in probably my first post in this thread, if the NCAA truly uses the money to simply and fairly fund an educational organization that helps develop amateur athletes, I don't have a problem. $5 million coaches does not fit within that philosophy as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
The athletes are given a forum in which to perform and their performance generates revenue to continue to fund that forum. With that forum, they have the opportunity to make millions (while getting a free education along the way). Without that forum, many of them would not even have access to an education.

There is no "NCAA trust." You keep using that term like it actually exists or has meaning. It doesn't.

Quote Reply
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
How many employees in tech or pharmaceuticals for exqmple, get paid by what they develop or invent?

This is missing the point. The pharma companies have not formed a trust to unfairly limit my salary or to drive out competition that would offer more fair compensation.

The "trust that is used to limit compensation" is the only relevant piece.

If I write some code for some software and Hewlett Packard sells it and makes a million dollars, I might only get paid $120,000. If I think that is bullshit, I can quit and go work for IBM and make more money. If Hewlett interviews for my now vacant position and gets 5 candidates with the same skills who are willing to work for $120,000, then my work wasn't really worth any more than that. If I'm really that good, they'll pay me more (like a friend of mine who makes $300,000 at Google). If I'm really freakin' good, and innovative, like Steve Wozniak, I might get millions of dollars in Apple stock.

However, if Apple, HP, and IBM form a trust, they can agree not to pay anyone more than $100,000 and keep the rest for themselves. "Yeah, but you are getting paid a lot. I wish I made that much. You are getting great experience and exposure. You'll make much more money later. 1% of all software engineers end up forming their own companies and getting rich. You have access to cutting edge tools. Etc." None of that changes the fact that they formed a trust to unfairly limit your wages.

This, again, is one of the dumbest analogies ever written in the LR. You have posted something even more asinine than you did earlier in this thread. Congratulations and may God have mercy on your soul.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: For those who think college athletes should be paid [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
The NCAA isn't an organization that has organized all of the competition together under the same set of rules that limits the compensation of the people playing under them?

No.

BarryP wrote:
I've said this before, in fact in probably my first post in this thread, if the NCAA truly uses the money to simply and fairly fund an educational organization that helps develop amateur athletes, I don't have a problem. $5 million coaches does not fit within that philosophy as far as I'm concerned.

Having $5M coaches allows a team to generate enough revenue to pay for the scholarships of the 90+% of college athletics that fail to generate more revenue than they consume.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This, again, is one of the dumbest analogies ever written in the LR. You have posted something even more asinine than you did earlier in this thread. Congratulations and may God have mercy on your soul.

I am truly envious of you ability to articulate your position.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

I am truly envious of you ability to articulate your position.

"you ability"

You should be envious.

Quote Reply

Prev Next