Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare?
Quote | Reply
I’m in the process of planning a vacation for myself, mrs wimsey and wimsey 2.0.

Current idea is to go to Scotland in August or September. Specifically, I'm thinking we fly direct Boston to Glasgow; this scenic train up to the west coast to Mallaig; ferry to Isle of Skye, where 4-5 days would be spent day hiking and generally puttering around.

Looking for input on any and all aspects of this proposal, including:

• Is it crazy to do a trans-Atlantic flight with an 11 month old? He has done 2 domestic round trip flights and will do one more before August – been a champ so far, but no flights to date have been longer than 3 hours.
  • How convenient (or not) is the Glasgow airport, esp. with kid in tow? Have flown into/out of Heathrow, Gatwick and Edinburgh before, but never Glasgow.
  • Is there a big difference between August and September on Skye in terms of weather or tourist pressure?
  • Good areas or specific places to stay or eat on Skye? Thinking we’ll probably try to find an Airbnb where we have a small cottage to ourselves given we’ll have an infant with us, but open to suggestion.
  • I hear anecdotal horror stories about midges in the summer time in Scotland generally. Are they really that bad? Is Skye different than mainland in that respect?
  • We'd probably spend a day or two in Glasgow at the beginning or end of the trip. Is that a particularly good or bad idea?

Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it seems mandatory for me that there be a crying baby nearby on any flight i'm on. So you are well on your way in that regard. Best of luck.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say potential disaster with 11month old. It can be done but why not wait a little while? We've flown bos-San Fran twice with our 2 year old and it was brutal and exhausting both times. Once when she was 1 and again at almost 2. Worth it when we got there but 7 hours of flight is rough.

I think the 11month old nap schedule would also potentially limit your daily activities. My baby was taking 2 solid naps a day at that age and I needed the rest time when she slept.

If you do go, pm me if you need suggestions. A few years ago wife and I did the same trip. Bos-Edinburgh, 2 days in Edinburgh, road trip to Skye for 5 days, road trip to Glasgow for 2 days then home. Amazing trip, midges weren't bad in early August but I think we got lucky. Wind on Skye helped with the midges
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing I may be able to comment from a position of strength on this one.

My eldest is 3, youngest is 1, the eldest has done maybe 30 (60 legs) seven hour or longer trips, first at 8 days and next one will be april 5th, the may 19th.

Before she could walk it was a breeze, then there was a lot of walking up and down, between 18 months and just turning three was the worst for "stuff to do", now she will sit with her tablet

the youngest, as done about a third of the trips and one third of those are 10-12 hours with connections.

I'd do it in heartbeat, but then in 3.5 years of flying more than once a month with kids - usually 6-7 hour flights, I've only really had 2 terrible flights; the first was flying doha - gva and within the first thirty minutes she projectile vomited milk on me and I sat in it for more than the 9 hours till I could get changed at the other end, the other time she was ill

we've had melt downs, but whilst they seem interminable when they are happening, she's never played up for very long - 5-10 minutes, it just feels like a lifetime

I'd not think twice about it, but we had to do it when she was born and just got on with it

I do not know anything about Skye but I have a friend who owns and rents out a cottage / 'es on Jura
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - appreciate the feedback.

Inclined not to wait a while because a few friends with youngish kids have said that it gets way harder to do this kind of trip once the kid is able to walk. At 11 months I think I should still be able to schlep him most places in a backpack carrier And not have him unhappy that he can't walk himself around.

Nap schedule may put some limits on us, but that's going to be true no matter where we go.
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Comment from a position of strength" - ha!

I've heard similar to your input - easier before they can walk.

Boy is generally pretty good natured, and we're hoping that since flight is overnight he might sleep a good portion of the way.

Wife and I are pretty game for adventure and willing to take some downside risk. Feeing like we should try it and see how we do; only one way to find where the boundaries are :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True about not being able to walk and being able to carry them at that age. My 2 year old loves seeing and doing things but she wants to walk herself and can be slow looking at every ant/flower passing by.

What kind of places are you staying in? B&b, hotels? My baby sleeps well traveling but the first night in a new room throws her off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just think its a non-issue

my brothers kids did not fly till the eldest was perhaps 3-4? where as mine was a hardened platinum card holder at 18 months (not quite but you get the point)

until they walk, and so long as they are not to big for a bassinet, you are generally good to go

the other thing is antihistamines - i'm not advocating this, but they do make them drowsy.......

I'd do it, the thought of it is always worse than the reality, and once you're there - do what you want, my kids done maldives, mauritius, south of france, skiing - they nap where we are, our lives didn't stop when we had kids, you just get on with it (though to be fair going out for dinner and drinks every week did stop when we had two........)
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking we would stay away from B&b, since some don't want kids and even if they say it's ok, if we have a bad night it will spoil the other guests' night. So probably an airbnb type deal.

Boy has done fine in hotels and other people's houses so far - as long as he has a bite to eat before bed and his mother is somewhere nearby he cashes right out
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's generally the philosophy we are trying to adopt as well.

Grateful for the input and the encouragement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, I think it is easier to travel with an 11 month old than 18 months+.

I've not been in a while but bus links were easy and frequent from the airport to the city. Hopefully hasn't got worse.

August will be a bit busier on Skye, but not a disaster. It'll probably be raining regardless of month but still a great place to visit and that stretch of the west coast is amazing.

The midges can be a pain but not really worth bothering about. That said, they were never interested in me.

It's a good idea to spend a day or 2 in Glasgow. Not the most beautiful city, but worth a look around. You mention flying out of Edinburgh, so I assume you've been there but if not also worth trying to fit in- less than an hour from Glasgow by train. Much nicer than Glasgow and the people there will be less inclined to stop you in the street to tell you how brilliant they are on hearing your accent...
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [hoser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<t's a good idea to spend a day or 2 in Glasgow. Not the most beautiful city, but worth a look around. You mention flying out of Edinburgh, so I assume you've been there but if not also worth trying to fit in- less than an hour from Glasgow by train. Much nicer than Glasgow and the people there will be less inclined to stop you in the street to tell you how brilliant they are on hearing your accent... >>

Thanks for the input. I've been to Edinburgh several times and quite enjoyed it. We're thinking of flying in and out of Glasgow because we've been recommended to take the train ride from Glasgow to Mallaig, and I've not spent any real time in Glasgow (just enough to run from Queen St station to Central in a pissing rainstorm, really). If we can find time for Edinburgh as well we will do so, as the wife hasn't been there before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know that there is now a free bridge to the Isle of Skype? It was a toll but has since become free - The ferry is fun also but if you are hiring a car - and I would suggest doing so to get around Skye.

Climbed the Cuillen Ridge both summer and winter - but would never attempt this with a baby!!

The midges LOVE me - to take tons of spray.

And really try and attend a local Ceilidh and partake in a wee dram!!

have fun

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say go for it.

11 months is a pretty good travel age (although mine was walking by then- so don't be surprised if that happens). I actually found the crawling stage as the worst to travel with as my daughter wanted to move independently but many traveling surfaces are gross! Early walker was a great travel age though.

I didn't spend much time in Skye but more on Lewis and Harris which were fabulous! I was there in Sept and didn't think the bugs were too bad.

I highly suggest buying a ticket and bringing a car seat on the plane- as a familiar environment - especially if your LO is a good car traveler. I am not a fan of lap babies. Our traveling much improved when we decided that was a bad idea and ponied up for the extra seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Do you know that there is now a free bridge to the Isle of Skype? It was a toll but has since become free - The ferry is fun also but if you are hiring a car - and I would suggest doing so to get around Skye.

Climbed the Cuillen Ridge both summer and winter - but would never attempt this with a baby!!

The midges LOVE me - to take tons of spray.

And really try and attend a local Ceilidh and partake in a wee dram!!

have fun

Yes, knew about the bridge but had sort of discounted it. May need to rethink that. My wife is excited for the train to Mallaig - will need to figure out where the bridge is on the mainland side. I do think we will want a car; had been thinking we'd rent one on island (just assumed that was possible, which it may not be I suppose), but again I should probably rethink that part of things.

As for the wee dram - most definitely! There will be Scotch.
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yah, have already resigned myself to paying for the extra seat if we go. Not cheap, but I think it will make things much easier. We haven't done it for the domestic trips we've taken, but so far we've been lucky and had an open seat next to us and it has been really helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glasgow airport is pretty easy to navigate. Traveling with an 11 month old is way easier than with a kid that is walking. I have had a 6 hour flight with a 10 month old that went well. For me, the key was the binky tether. I had him set up with dual binky's with both being tethered to his shirt. Never have to worry about it being lost or ending up under the seat. Depending on the weather, Glasgow has a bus tour of the city that you can get off and on. It might be a good way to spend day 1 getting acclimated. I lived outside of Glasgow for a year. Probably the most welcoming people that I have ever met in my life. I was always treated like a guest and people went out of their way to be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Glasgow and Isle of Skye in August/Sept. with an 11 month old - genius or f'ing nightmare? [idscooter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great info - thanks!
Quote Reply