Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low back and hip pain/ injury: Worse case scenario
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I've been having sharp pain in my right side low back / hip. Had x-rays and they all looked normal.

Doctor suspects SI joint issue. Prescribed physical therapy. Haven't gone yet.

What do you think is the worse low back / hip injury / dysfunction?

Gall
Quote Reply
Re: Low back and hip pain/ injury: Worse case scenario [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before you waste months on physical therapy look for an A.R.T. person in your area and give that a shot. The guy I go to where I live may be a guru / witch doctor, but he can fix anything. Some friends with lower back issues doing PT for long periods of time went to him 2-3 times, all better. Not saying PT does not work, but has always seemed a little slow and clunky and I don't have the patience to wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Low back and hip pain/ injury: Worse case scenario [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went through a very similar issue, with my sports medicine doctor diagnosing SI joint dysfunction. I did PT for 2.5 months, twice a week, and it's probably about 93% back to normal at this point (I finished PT in January). Also did a lot of work with my PT regarding posture and balance, and since then I've also switched to a standing desk in my office to help out with the hips. Made a huge difference. I do think I'll probably be back to 100% within 6 months or so, but I honestly don't have any sort of limitations at this point except for occasional back issues on really long bike rides (3hrs+) where I just need to stop and stretch out a bit and then I can be back on my way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:
Hello,

I've been having sharp pain in my right side low back / hip. Had x-rays and they all looked normal.

Doctor suspects SI joint issue. Prescribed physical therapy. Haven't gone yet.

What do you think is the worse low back / hip injury / dysfunction?

Gall

I've had a similar thing recently, stopped me running this week, cycling is ok, but gets stabby/twingy when walking/running.

I have found that foam rolling using the rubber ball (tennis ball size) on the hip really helps.

Personally I'm off for a massage tomorrow at the physio, hoping to nail down what's going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "worst kind of dysfunction" is the kind that ISN'T properly managed with help from a medical professional who specializes in triathletes/runners/cyclists. Find someone who knows endurance athletes and treats the cause.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Low back and hip pain/ injury: Worse case scenario [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with this.

I have an L4-L5 disc herniation. I have decided to sell my bike and triathlon equipment. It has happened 3x in one year. I am only 26-years-old. I think the biggest concern and focus should always be long-term health... whether that means triathlon or no triathlon.

Take the proper rest and be careful.
Last edited by: mandeeleeh: Mar 25, 17 18:35
Quote Reply