Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Music for motivation for long swim workouts? What works?
Quote | Reply
I've been really ramping up my swimming this season to 3x per week at 3500 to 4000 meters in a 50m pool. Last season I stayed around 2-3x per week at 2500 meters or so. I'm having trouble staying motivated to hit intervals and just complete these long workouts (always over an hour in the pool). I would love any tips/motivation on this. I've seen people with underwater headphones and ipod nanos attached to their goggles - I always thought that was ridiculous, but now maybe not. Short of joining the masters team, any recommendations!? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Music for motivation for long swim workouts? What works? [Donbrowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what ever you listen to on the bike trainer or treadmill will carry over to the pool. I have one playlist that I keep updated and put it on my ipod (treadmill) and my finis Neptune.

However, much like the trainer and the treadmill; the harder the interval, the less you're conscious of the music (IME, anyay).

I don't use it every swim (sometimes it's nice to just be alone with your thoughts :-), but it's certainly a nice luxury to have.
Quote Reply
Re: Music for motivation for long swim workouts? What works? [Donbrowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my music from my I phone is down loaded into my h2o underwater I pod shuffle love it for all swims. Does not matter the beat for pool or open water. It is just my music.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a musical solution, but workouts that are complicated -- weird sendoffs, drills that focus on one area -- and new workouts by creative coaches have helped me a ton with motivation. I did one workout recently where I had to put a time chart with about 30 sendoff prompts at both ends of the pool to keep things in order. No music needed, there.

There are threads here and online that feature workouts that are both challenging and fun/odd. I just steal all of them.

[Kind of off topic: For about 8 years in HS and after I could only, in my mind, hear about 5 bars of Sting's "We Work the Black Seam Together," a dreary song from Dream of the Blue Turtles over and over and over when I swam.

So, no tech and totally free -- a constant stream of music. Also, clinical insanity. I am having flashbacks as I type.]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Nutrition Fully Charged. PM me and I can give you a referral discount code.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Music?
Quote Reply
Re: Music for motivation for long swim workouts? What works? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess what I meant was any tips or tricks to get long swim workouts longer than an hour done. I had thought music might help. Even though I always thought that was silly. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After I get my swim cap, goggles, nose clip and headphones wrapped around my head I put my race belt on with a couple 8oz bottles and 4-5 gels and sometime tuck a banana in my shorts in case I get hungry or for other reasons...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you decided to go longer, how are you doing it? I.e., did you just start adding 500s or 1000s to the mix? If that's what you did.... well, that'll be super boring :-D! I moved over to Tower 26's remote program a little while back and really like the variety. I used to get bored but those workouts have so much going on (usually broken out as 5 different sections) that it's hard to get bored / distracted.
Quote Reply