Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleat wedges/canting
Quote | Reply
I went on a bike fitting introduction recently and the fitter was a big fan of wedging for almost everyone, everyone has tibial varus supposedly and we all need to correct at the foot level.
Much like the canting that is standard in specialized shoes.

What do the fitters on here think of this?

Personally my feet tilt massively inwards when non-weight bearing, but whilst weight bearing they are flat. Does this mean they should be canted? I'm not so sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat wedges/canting [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I put shims under my cleats my knees would do circles as I pedaled.

On the down-stroke my knees would go into the top tube and on the up-stroke they would go out.

This appeared to be causing pain in my hips, especially my left one. Now my knees go pretty much straight up and down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people I have had experience with that have run the gauntlet of fitters trying to cure a problem I have simply removed any wedges and crap and just fit them to the bike properly and the problems vanished.
Much more can be accomplished with just standard alignment capabilities of most cleats than most people give credit for.
I find that the need to wedges is extremely rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat wedges/canting [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Most people I have had experience with that have run the gauntlet of fitters trying to cure a problem I have simply removed any wedges and crap and just fit them to the bike properly and the problems vanished.
Much more can be accomplished with just standard alignment capabilities of most cleats than most people give credit for.
I find that the need to wedges is extremely rare.

My last fitter took one look at my shoes and pulled out the shims and wedges and tossed them. I wasn't having a problem with having shims or wedges but he was just like you. He said I do have an up/out and down/in stroke to my right leg but he felt I could correct that myself with muscle memory.

I think he was right.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I am a BikeFit instructor (so I teach foot/pedal interface stuff, including wedges).

The answer is "it depends, and it's complicated." Probably more complicated than it should be to do something as simple as ride a bike, right? lol!

Most of my customers come to me because of pain issues. There is a lot going on at the foot that we have to at least consider as part of a bike fit. It is my duty as a fitter to understand what your primary concerns and issues are on the bike and focus on those first. A lot of problems can trickle up from the foot. I think it's also my responsibility to be objective and not necessarily be a big "fan" of any particular tool. I don't want to be a cabinet maker who is a fan of sledgehammers. I'm a fan of the end results.

The lower extremity is a key area where we can gain efficiency in the fit process. The stabilization and alignment of the foot, knee, and hip are all important to ensure efficiency, comfort, and injury-prevention. Our knees are the canary in the mine. The knee is a single plane joint, and we don't want it to be making lateral movements. That's going to require additional stabilization, which is additional work for the muscles that aren't propelling you. The pedal stroke is an amazing neurological sequence - think about how each of the muscles have to fire, in sequence to move your foot around that 330-350mm diameter circle. Also, think about the muscles that have to stabilize that movement. There's a lot going on there. The small muscles in the lower extremity are relatively oxygen-hungry - they require a lot of oxygen for their size, but really don't provide a lot of power to the pedal stroke. So, it's best to quiet them down and make them relax by ensuring they have a stable relationship to the world around them. So, what can we do to ensure that stabilization? Provide a stable platform.

The pedal is a horizontal surface, and unlike most horizontal surfaces our foot interacts with, we're locked into it. That's just unnatural. Most people have a varus cant to their forefoot, meaning that if you look at it across the transverse arch, the line from the fifth metatarsal joint to the first metatarsal joint travels at an upward angle. This is one angle as part of the chain from the foot to the hip, and it is relative to the rearfoot and lower extremity. I've measured this angle to be as high as 28 degrees, with most people falling in the 10-20 degree range. Now, we're not going to throw in 28 degrees of wedge and call it good. The most I put is in 3 degrees.

Wedge is one of many tools to factor in here. I determine how if and how much wedge is appropriate based on rider feedback, my observations, and accepted practices, in that order. I've had people who, by convention, should have 3 degrees of wedge, but don't end up with any.

Also, when most people think "wedge", they are thinking specifically about a cleat wedge - the angled plastic shims that go between the cleat and shoe. These will cant the entire shoe, which is generally fine, but not always. Once again, it's all about providing a stable base for the foot. Heel wedges, insoles, and in-the-shoe wedges can all be appropriate in the right situation. Cleat placement is key, both fore/aft and laterally (stance width). Leg length and heel rotation also affect the way we interact with the pedal. Another big one is crank arm length. I often see people with poor hip mobility, a hip impingement (FAI) or other impingements (aka "guttus interruptus" - their belly gets in the way). When I say "poor", this means "just tight enough to limit movement at the top of the pedal stroke." Probably not even noticeable when they walk or run, but force them into a 350mm diameter circle (for a 175mm crank arm) and the bad things start to come out. This is one reason why we sometimes see knees coming out at the top of the pedal stroke - if the knee can't go up any higher, where else will it go? Either the pelvis/upper body rocks, or the knee goes out laterally. Saddle height and crank arm length are both important factors here (and sometimes, a delicate balance).

So, I babbled on a lot there, but I hope that makes some sense. For the TL;DR read crowd - wedge is useful, but one of many tools in the tool kit. I think you're going to get a mixture of reactions from fitters here. Some love this stuff, some think it's snake oil. I'm a skeptic of everything but will consider everything I have at my disposal, and I'm always seeking ways to improve the process - from high-tech to back-to-the-basics analog simplicity. It's all about finding what the rider and I feel is the best solution for their problem (without creating a problem just so we can solve it). My bike fits are a partnership, and my customers become my students and are hopefully more well-versed in bike fitting and more self-aware after we're done.

To specifically answer your last question: It depends, and it's complicated. ;) You could benefit from insoles, wedge/cant, or maybe nothing at all. If you have pain, you probably need something.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat wedges/canting [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Travis - a must read for anyone wanting to know more about wedges.

N=1 - I rode for years with out them. Never had any issues.

But something changed about 10+ years ago - As noted, I had never had issues with numb/sore feet - and no matter what shoes/insoles I was using - the problem would persist. That was right about the time that Specialized launched their S-works shoes with the a canting built in. Bought a pair and the foot issues got better - not 100%, but much better. Then I put in one extra wedge on each foot - problems completely solved.

I'm now riding in the Giro Empire ACC's with two wedges for canting under each foot - feels fabulous.

YMMV! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
I went on a bike fitting introduction recently and the fitter was a big fan of wedging for almost everyone, everyone has tibial varus supposedly and we all need to correct at the foot level.
Much like the canting that is standard in specialized shoes.

What do the fitters on here think of this?

Personally my feet tilt massively inwards when non-weight bearing, but whilst weight bearing they are flat. Does this mean they should be canted? I'm not so sure!
Everyone does have a varus forefoot for the most part, until you apply a very small load to the fifth metatarsal. And then a large portion of those that appeared varus are no longer varus.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to wedging. The situation previously described where the knee dives toward the center of the bike can be caused by a varus forefoot. It can also be caused by overpronation and a collapsing arch. A good pair of orthotics, an adjustment to the stance width, or both is the solution in many of those situations.

There are good fitters that are quite aggressive with wedging, despite my apprehension. But I do think it is completely missing the point to assess a forefoot that is unloaded. And that's usually what happens when people are telling me that everyone has a varus forefoot.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might need them.
But 1st you should make sure that your arches are properly supported.
Most stock insoles are crap (many shoes are also crap)- but find an insole that supports your arch, or have one made.
See what that does to the tracking of your knees.
Quote Reply