Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Wheel Slipping
Quote | Reply
When pushing big watts I can't do anything to keep the trainer wheel from not slipping...any tips or tricks? I have a trainer wheel on it and calibrate it...wondering if less or more air is key?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [ilike2run2eat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little guy and still put two turns on the knob. How much do you tighten the roller to the wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you calibrate it what number at you getting? I like to set have it just over two because I had problems with tires overheating. But I don't push big watts. I think you might want to have it at 3 or 4.

ilike2run2eat wrote:
When pushing big watts I can't do anything to keep the trainer wheel from not slipping...any tips or tricks? I have a trainer wheel on it and calibrate it...wondering if less or more air is key?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilike2run2eat wrote:

- make sure tire and flywheel are clean
- tighten it enough to get upper 2's to 3 on the calibration
- quit pushing so many watts : )

Not sure about tire pressure, but I've always set mine at about 110 for the CT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilike2run2eat wrote:

Just to add a bit to what another poster said, clean the tire and roller thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol every time you bring the bike in from riding outdoors and every week or so if you only ride the trainer.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
ilike2run2eat wrote:

Just to add a bit to what another poster said, clean the tire and roller thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol every time you bring the bike in from riding outdoors and every week or so if you only ride the trainer.

Hugh

This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
ilike2run2eat wrote:

Hugh

I second that. Had the same problems with my CT before I went to direct drive to avoid it happening again. Also check your calibration settings before the hard sprint efforts start. It can drift quite a bit with heat build up and friction.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have tire slippage with my Computrainer but I purchased a trainer tire and the solved all of my issues. It never ever slips anymore. I've had the same one for 94 TrainerRoad workouts now and haven't had to change it yet.

To test this before riding here's what I do:
1) Tighten the roller against the tire until it touches, give an additional 1/2 turn
2) Grip the flywheel with one hand, tire with the other hand
3) Force the tire to slip on the roller by spinning the tire but keeping the flywheel fixed in place

This will give you an idea of how much force it takes to slip. If it slips easily you need to tighten another 1/4 turn and repeat above. This process takes me less than 10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [pocolocoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice! The cleaning will probably be the best bet for me! I did some research and saw someone had posted this:
Flat Course - use 2lbs� Press-On Force
Up to 2.5% Grade - use 2.5 lbs
� Press-On Force
Up to 5.0% Grade - Use 3.0 lbs
� of Press-On Force
Up to 7.5% Grade - Use 3.5 lbs
� of Press-On Force
Up to 10.0% Grade - Use 4.0 lbs
� of Press-On Force
Up to 12.5% Grade - Use 4.5 lbs
� of Press-On Force
Up to 15.0% Grade - Use 4.99 lbs
� of Press-On Force*
�
Plus/minus .20 lbs acceptable.
*5.0 lbs exceeds the maximum value you can save.

So long as you calibrate for 10 minutes at at least 150 watts in erg mode before you ride a course you should be fine. Although for a more realistic feel you should try and stay as low as the course will allow.

I think I always kept it between 2-3, but I guess it is ok to have it higher for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type of tire you use makes a big difference. Some tires grip better than others. Generally I ride at a 2.8 or 3.0 calibration number. My guess is you are not re-calibrating after warming the tire up, and so your calibration number is too low.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Wheel Slipping [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always used a trainer tire and always wiped the roller, wheel down with alcohol wipes before use. My tire would be at 115psi and regardless of all this it would slip.

This was my reason behind replacing it entirely. Now I'm not a monster either as my max sprint were typically around 950-980w.

Your method of using the flywheel is brilliant however. I should have tried that back then

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply