Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interpretation of local road rule applicable to bicycles
Quote | Reply
Our local code states that bicycles shall not travel alongside more than one other bicycle on a carriageway unless that bicycle is overtaking.

I believe the intent of that clause is that you can pass two people you come across that are travelling at a slower speed than you. Just like being able to overtake a car on a country road.

Where it becomes grey to me is a group where third riders are rolling through. They aren't really overtaking but staying as one. To me it's not in the spirit of the law and would constitute a violation, particularly in light of other regulations stating bicycles are not to create an obstruction.

I was made to think about it after old colleagues sent me a pic of a car passing a third rider really close (third rider was passing two others) and car was sandwiched on the outer edge of its lane by a car in adjacent lane - well it could have waited technically.

Who do you say the regs favour?
Quote Reply
Re: Interpretation of local road rule applicable to bicycles [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two riders abreast ok.

Three abreast not ok unless the third is abreast only momentarily while in the act of passing a slower twosome.

If a faster twosome comes upon a slower twosome, faster twosome must fall into single file and pass one at a time.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Interpretation of local road rule applicable to bicycles [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but my question is whether the regulation is a cover all or specific to cases of genuine overtaking - lone riders happening across a group of slower riders. Not group roll throughs where those being overtaken aren't really holding anyone up because they are one group.

In this case I believe that the regulation to not cause an obstruction to vehicles could take precedence.
Quote Reply
Re: Interpretation of local road rule applicable to bicycles [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rule on Two-Abreast riding for larger groups of cyclists varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In places where it is legal and allowed, there are still problems. We've been asked by police while on a club ride, riding a tight two-abreast formation with about 12 -14 riders, to "go single file", as the Police cruiser rides along side us. We comply, of course - but that Police Officer was wrong. After the ride we sent a note to the local precinct.

From a motorists perspective - It almost always seems to cause problems and frustrations:

1) They think it is illegal to ride that way ( which in many places it is not).

2) They always feel the riders are "blocking" the road - which they are not. (the cyclists are moving along at 20kmh - 40kmh and you will have to wait momentarily for a safe spot to pass)

3) Because of both #1 & #2, the nuanced detail that riders in a group are safer riding like this is completely lost on motorists.

#3 is counter-intuitive and as mentioned you have to understand #1 and #2 before you can begin to comprehend #3, but it's true.

Consider a group of 14 riders. Strung out all single file is a long line. Motorists as they almost always do, try the squeeze-by in the lane with the cyclists to the right. Now EVERYONE is in a potentially very dangerous position - the motorists is skimming by the cyclists with inches to spare(this in itself is now illegal in some places with 3 ft/1M pass laws), it's a long time to spend beside all the cyclists as you pass by and you often have oncoming traffic coming the other way. There is no way out for anyone and one false move by anyone in this situation could be disastrous!

In the two abreast formation if you have those 14 riders now positioned two abreast and 7 riders long - they are taking up half the lane ( if they are tight to the right as they should be) and are about as long as a small truck. A motorist approaching the cyclists from the rear now, must slow-down, roll along and wait for a safe spot to make a safe pass. He/she can't do the squeeze-by - or they will be running right over the cyclists.

I practice the above regularly when I am driving - even when passing 1 - 2 cyclists. On average the, "wait" time while I am rolling along a bit slower, waiting to make the pass is 3 - 5 seconds. That's it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but my question is whether the regulation is a cover all or specific to cases of genuine overtaking - lone riders happening across a group of slower riders. Not group roll throughs where those being overtaken aren't really holding anyone up because they are one group.

Technically in a constantly rolling echelon, you are always in the act of passing - so even in areas where Two-Abreast is not allowed, you might get away with this. But it's doubtful that you would - stuff like that is too nuanced for people. Remember the starting point for many is that bikes are not allowed or should be on the road in the first place!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the regulation to not cause an obstruction to vehicles could take precedence.

Please point out this regulation, because the usual "impeding traffic" laws aren't applicable to bicycles traveling at a reasonable speed.
Quote Reply