Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which side started the "fake news" meme?
Quote | Reply
My personal recollection is that the left started the meme, but that the right picked it up almost immediately.
Also, is there a better word to describe the "fake news" phenomenon than "meme"?
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My (hazy) impression is that the right started it as a countermeasure to combat the left's "post-truth" label.

Probably now find it was coined in the 1970s in the Soviet Bloc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely Russian. General Gregory Potemkin. Look it up. Around 1790 or so. Really.

The fake news meme is new. It got it's legs with Trump. But fake news has been around forever. Like "who invented the pet rock?" The rock has been around forever but some guy told another guy that his rock was a pet and off it went.
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Definitely Russian. General Gregory Potemkin. Look it up. Around 1790 or so. Really.

The fake news meme is new. It got it's legs with Trump. But fake news has been around forever. Like "who invented the pet rock?" The rock has been around forever but some guy told another guy that his rock was a pet and off it went.
Yes, I'm obviously not asking who came up with the first factually incorrect news story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm obviously not asking who came up with the first factually incorrect news story.

"Media" like the National Enquirer and their ilk have been, broadcasting what would be considered Fake News for a long time. "Martians Land in Back Yard in Nevada - Pictures page-5" - stuff like that.

It's a relatively new phenomenon to have the label leveled at truly legitimate news/media outlets those on the left and the right!

Trump and his team have of course taken this to a whole new level and are absurdly partisan and biased in their position. It's obvious that ANY news outlet that reports negatively on the President and what he's doing, is in Trump & Co.'s view, "fake news".

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My personal recollection is that the left started the meme, but that the right picked it up almost immediately.
Also, is there a better word to describe the "fake news" phenomenon than "meme"?

This is how I saw it go down: My FB feed got littered with fake news stories from conservatives. Stuff that was easily debunked with a 20 second google search. It became so common that the phrase "fake news" caught on, and then the very same people started ranting about "fake news," when real news stories would appear.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is how I saw it go down: My FB feed got littered with fake news stories from conservatives.

I got these, too. I was also inundated with fake news promoting leftist agendas. The most glaring was the standing rock pipeline stories. Aerial pictures of Woodstock claimed to be standing rock protesters, pipeline going through "sacred native lands" (it wasn't) and on and on.

Also I got a lot of false information about fracking on my feed.

Quote:
people started ranting about "fake news," when real news stories would appear.

By "real news" are you including all of the untrue stories put out by "legitimate" news sources like CNN? You know, stories that said things like "Russia hacked the election"?

For what it's worth, I bailed on fakebook months ago, in part because of so much bullshit being posted there.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did, they started it.........
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's a relatively new phenomenon to have the label leveled at truly legitimate news/media outlets those on the left and the right!

I'm not so sure it's so new. When did the left start calling Fox News Faux News?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fake_news

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did the left start calling Fox News Faux News?

I believe that was before CNN was referred to as the Clinton News Network.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no fake news, only news that does not support your worldview. (Your being the generic "your", not aimed at you the OP)
Quote Reply
Re: Which side started the "fake news" meme? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

This is how I saw it go down: My FB feed got littered with fake news stories from conservatives. Stuff that was easily debunked with a 20 second google search. It became so common that the phrase "fake news" caught on, and then the very same people started ranting about "fake news," when real news stories would appear.

That's pretty much what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to think about how to describe the difference between what some conservative sites where doing, and the way lying had traditionally transpired in news stories. In the past you could lie in news stories, but there were standards. Usually journalists had to throw some truth in there and then work with logical fallacies and convenient factual omissions to lead the audience to the correct conclusion. The left generally held to those standards -- the Woodstock pics notwithstanding. Some conservative sites totally jettisoned those standards in the last days of the campaign. They just whole cloth made shit up.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 23, 17 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there's the click bait garbage on social media and then there is the ideology based (biased) stories done by the MSM over the years: http://www.aim.org/...report/1993/03a.html

The GM C/K side saddle gas tanks and Idaho's Clearwater National Forest fish kill stories are prime examples.

I would throw in the Audi 5000 unintended acceleration and the Bush National Guard records in there also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess nobody knows how it really started. There was a guest on a show, some write for the times or wapo that gave a brief history. I think the general consensus is that it applied to those weird stories (often right wing targeting the left) that would get shared on social media and broadcast as news without any real credibility to them. Can't think of any specific ones, but you know what I'm talking about. The weird uncle forwards an article that sounds possible, then it gets picked up by others. You are smart, so you look at the source, scratch your head and don't forward it.

But they are more believable than say 5 years ago because mainstream media is so quick to get stories out, they don't do a good job of researching them, so they to are guilty of spreading fake news, but not intentionally. Well, at least most of the time. So the label sort of fits in well.

I know some people who seem intelligent, but they do not read regular news period. They get all their news from alternate media. These are people who for 5 minutes are pretty cool but then they get comfortable with you and the topics quickly devolves into how Lyme disease is covered up by the gov't or attributed to other more popular diseases, Vaccines are not just dangerous in some instance, but designed to control population, GMO is designed to sterilize the population, just like BPA that leaches into water from water bottles, and chemtrails are real. Sad part is they don't even how realize how stupid they sound.

Here you go, a perfect example of fake news as originally called out.

http://www.naturalnews.com/

Check out this article on how the Feds manipulate the only legal source for marijuana research.

http://www.naturalnews.com/...a-look-so-weird.html

or how dental fillings made of amalgam are killing us.

http://www.naturalnews.com/...ect-your-health.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply