Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I played D1 baseball in college. I played mostly outfield but our 2nd baseman was also a relief pitcher and I would move in to play 2nd when he was on the mound. In my final season, a guy that looked a hell of a lot like Kyle Schrwarber turned on a ball and hit a top spin rocket right at me. I tried to short hop it, chest and eyes down like I was taught from the time I was 10, the ball kicked almost straight up and hit me on the bridge of the nose and right eye socket, both were broken. The broken bone in my nose punctured the skin and blood sprayed everywhere. I could hear the crowd screaming as I walked around looking for the ball which ended up in left field.

The injuries healed pretty quickly, I was able to play again just a few weeks later, but the urge to flinch is permanent. That was more than a sting.
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
First, understand that the fear of getting hit by a baseball is entirely rational. Those things hurt like a mofo when- not if- they hit you.

I disagree. They sting for a second and then you move on. I caught and the only time anything hurt was a foul tip off my finger. Yes I was the guy that just let pitches plink me, tip my cap and take my base.

To the OP. He will probably be afraid until he gets hit and realizes it is not a big deal. I would not arrange it intentionally though

As someone who took a fastball to the head in high school and was briefly knocked out, no, it doesn't just sting.

No, 8-year-old kids aren't generally throwing hard enough to knock someone out or otherwise cause serious damage. But that doesn't mean an 8-year-old's fear of being hit by a pitch is irrational. The "suck it up" and get hit approach is a little douchey.

Come on man, you played baseball up through high school and the only time you got hit by a baseball was in the head and it knocked you out?

No. Not what I said.
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
8 year old boy just starting his first season of kid pitch baseball and playing with a regulation hardball.

He has played 3 seasons with a saf-t-ball. A baseball that has a soft squeezable outer cover.

This year he is afraid to even play catch. He even steps out of the batters box when I or one of the other coaches pitch to him. Try to practice pop flys with him and he practically runs away.

He was not a great or even good player at lower levels but he always gave his best and enjoyed the game.

He is frustrated and I hate to admit that I am getting frustrated as well. I have to admit that I have thought of tying him to the backstop and throwing balls at him until he gets over his fear. Of course, I would never do it, at least I think I won't.

Has anyone else gone through this? Advice?

He wants to quit but I tell him that our family doesn't quit when we've made a commitment. But it hurts me to see him struggle and not know what to do to help.

This may be kinda out of left field (see what I did there?), but do you think he could have a vision problem, particularly with depth perception? Like maybe he isn't confident that he can catch/hit/avoid the ball?
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
I played D1 baseball in college. I played mostly outfield but our 2nd baseman was also a relief pitcher and I would move in to play 2nd when he was on the mound. In my final season, a guy that looked a hell of a lot like Kyle Schrwarber turned on a ball and hit a top spin rocket right at me. I tried to short hop it, chest and eyes down like I was taught from the time I was 10, the ball kicked almost straight up and hit me on the bridge of the nose and right eye socket, both were broken. The broken bone in my nose punctured the skin and blood sprayed everywhere. I could hear the crowd screaming as I walked around looking for the ball which ended up in left field.

The injuries healed pretty quickly, I was able to play again just a few weeks later, but the urge to flinch is permanent. That was more than a sting.

Where did you play?

And how many times did you get hit by a ball that didn't result in facial injuries? I broke fingers with foul tips and had some bruises from blocked pitxhes, but all things considered I'd rather have been hit by a pitch than get my clocked cleaned by a blindside in football.

I'm not saying injury can't happen, but the kid is afraid to play catch. He is probably not going to get hurt by a future MLB player at 8. To be honest I'd be more worried about walking into a swing at that level if I was the kid, but let's not open that can of worms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same fear at that age and understand what your son is going through. I learned to bunt which was for some reason not as frightening to me and bc of my speed was able to get on base frequently. The next year we gave up baseball and started lacrosse. I wound up becoming an NCAA Div 2 scholarship athlete in that sport and am greatful every day that my fear being hit by a hard baseball led me to take up a different sport. Have him finish out the year ant then talk about trying a different sport, he's still young enough to find something.
davec wrote:
8 year old boy just starting his first season of kid pitch baseball and playing with a regulation hardball.

He has played 3 seasons with a saf-t-ball. A baseball that has a soft squeezable outer cover.

This year he is afraid to even play catch. He even steps out of the batters box when I or one of the other coaches pitch to him. Try to practice pop flys with him and he practically runs away.

He was not a great or even good player at lower levels but he always gave his best and enjoyed the game.

He is frustrated and I hate to admit that I am getting frustrated as well. I have to admit that I have thought of tying him to the backstop and throwing balls at him until he gets over his fear. Of course, I would never do it, at least I think I won't.

Has anyone else gone through this? Advice?

He wants to quit but I tell him that our family doesn't quit when we've made a commitment. But it hurts me to see him struggle and not know what to do to help.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Mar 24, 17 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get it. LAX balls hurt more than baseballs, you get beaten by a stick, and crushed when you aren't looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please try the tennis balls hitting his helmet in the out field.

It teaches proper catching of fly balls and is a blast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, this is tough. I played hockey my entire life. Getting hit with a puck doesn't even make me flinch. I also grew up playing baseball and was quite good. My freshman year in HS I got hit in the hand. THE MOTHER FUCKING HAND, and that was it. It hurt so bad...it is still engrained in my brain the pain of that. Taking one in the meat of the ribs: easy. But if you get clipped, and its every bit as bad as you think it is...then its over. Went from batting over .400 to barely above .200. I bailed out on a lot of pitches that, even before they were released, seemed like they were destined for me.

I got no good advice except that i expect as he matures this may pass....maybe. Just hope he doesn't get hit where it does hurt like a motherfucker...or its all she wrote.
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [davec](updated post 58) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the positive responses.

Unfortunately this spring has been unusually rainy even by Pacific Northwest standards. We live about 13 miles east if Seattle.

Many practices have have been cancelled due to unsafe conditions.

We were finally able to scrimmage with another team on Saturday and my son faced his first kid pitcher. He struck out but he didn't completely bail out of the batters box. He stepped toward third instead of the plate but we can work with him on that. But he stood in there and took his swings. I gave him a big hug and told him it's okay if he strikes out every at bat, as long as he stands in here and takes his swings.

The pitchers were wild and erratic. One out of 7 pitches went behind the batter. Eight year olds shouldn't be pitching.

It looks like the majority of at bats will end in a strikeout or walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Son scared to be hit by baseball [davec](updated post 58) [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any machine pitch cages near you? Most have a slow speed that should be suitable. I would take him there and let him hit all day long. It will teach him to see the ball and help get relaxed and focus on hitting the ball. The idea is to get him thinking about hitting the ball rather being hit by the ball.

In the alternative, get a bucket of balls and take him to an hitting cage at your local high school and throw to him.

Good luck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next