Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's the penalty for texting and driving in your area? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. That's the one.

A recent incident was at a Brazilian steakhouse in Houston where I came to the sudden realization that I really had no idea how to make ribs.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What's the penalty for texting and driving in your area? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
cell phones present a much greater danger to the roads than the average sandwich

No they don't.

Quote:
I can't text with my eyes on the road.

Yes you can.

FWIW, I don't text while driving.

What stood out in your previous post was you strong emotional response (hatred) to an inanimate object (cell phones). This is common. No such strong emotions are directed at sandwiches.

And that's my point.

I don't hate cell phones - in fact, they're wonderful devices that can bring the whole breadth of human knowledge into the palm of your hand. What I hate is that a device that is first and foremost designed as a communication/social device has actually made humans less social and worse communicators. Like many things in this world, theory and execution don't match up.

And there are sandwiches out there that I just simply abhor....put canned tuna on bread and you'll watch me vomit.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the penalty for texting and driving in your area? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road side food on a highway in Nepal in spring of 2000 - could have stayed there all night.

First time I had the clam chowder at Larsens Fish Market on Martha's Vineyard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
cell phones present a much greater danger to the roads than the average sandwich

No they don't.

Quote:
I can't text with my eyes on the road.

Yes you can.

FWIW, I don't text while driving.

What stood out in your previous post was you strong emotional response (hatred) to an inanimate object (cell phones). This is common. No such strong emotions are directed at sandwiches.

And that's my point.

http://www.techtimes.com/...le-driving-study.htm

I see it all the time. I live in the country and have a 30 minute driving commute on country roads. Have been doing this for more than 10 years now. It has gotten down right ugly out there.
I have eaten while driving. Without question it is much easier to do than texting/using your phone. How many times have you been using your phone while walking around or in a meeting and been fully engrossed in what you are doing and then stop and realize you have no idea what you were doing for the past 5 minutes. That happens in a car. It has very little to do with eyes on the road and everything to do with what your brain is currently focussed on. you can think you can "muti-task" but that is a myth.
To equate eating with using a phone is ludicrous. I fully admit eating is also a cause of distracted drivers but on the same level as cell phones? Not even close

But thanks for not using your phone while you drive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can here if the driving behavior is out of the norm. Same rule appplies to personal grooming while driving.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: What's the penalty for texting and driving in your area? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
then stop and realize you have no idea what you were doing for the past 5 minutes.

That happens to me without a phone. And more than 5 minutes.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
then stop and realize you have no idea what you were doing for the past 5 minutes.

That happens to me without a phone. And more than 5 minutes.

We aren't talking about sex-induced blackouts. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next