Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In between Ironman 70.3 races / Recovery - new training plan, etc?
Quote | Reply

I'm trying to understand the process to get ready for the next 70.3 in the summer (maybe Ironman 70.3 Muskoka on July or something earlier if possible). I have registered for Cozumel and Thailand, but I couldn't decide about the one for the summer time.

Puerto Rico was an awesome first time experience. I just got back home and I'd like to start planning.

How do you guys start your training for the next race? How many days of recovery (either just rest or active recovery)? Do you start with short training hours? and all the nitty gritty details you guys learned along races.

If you can share some knowledge it will be highly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: In between Ironman 70.3 races / Recovery - new training plan, etc? [JCAndroid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might start by assessing your last race and what went well vs areas of concern. From there you may look to maintain base level training in the good disciplines and add extra (either frequency/volume/intensity) to the area of concern. Depending on how far out your next race is... best to let body recover for a touch (that doesn't mean off.. just means easy workouts) and then head back into some longer base sets.

As you get closer to race day... probably building intensity while keeping volume. As you get within 6 weeks of race day getting specific to race day performance and pacing

In a nutshell:
Analyze and easy for a bit
Build in areas of concern while keeping your strong points
Get specific to race demands
Nail pacing down

This is just 1 idea... could work, could not. Really depends on a lot of life factors and training history etc etc etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: In between Ironman 70.3 races / Recovery - new training plan, etc? [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddalzell wrote:
You might start by assessing your last race and what went well vs areas of concern. From there you may look to maintain base level training in the good disciplines and add extra (either frequency/volume/intensity) to the area of concern. Depending on how far out your next race is... best to let body recover for a touch (that doesn't mean off.. just means easy workouts) and then head back into some longer base sets.

As you get closer to race day... probably building intensity while keeping volume. As you get within 6 weeks of race day getting specific to race day performance and pacing

In a nutshell:
Nail pacing down

This is just 1 idea... could work, could not. Really depends on a lot of life factors and training history etc etc etc.

I'm in a similar boat, got Texas HIM next weekend and I already know the area I will need to focus on before the Austin HIM is the bike. What kind of volume is needed on the run/swim in order to maintain while allowing the extra time to devote towards cycling? Currenlty biking 3-4x a week, running 3x a week and swimming 3x a week. Looking to cycle 5x a week and unsure how to balance my schedule to accomodate this.
Quote Reply
Re: In between Ironman 70.3 races / Recovery - new training plan, etc? [Eyes0fTexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in order to maintain you would be looking to keep training close to what it is in swim/run. I don't know your specifics so I can't get too much more detailed than that.

When balancing, you need to think of what works with your life schedule. In terms of stress on the legs.. running is the only impact discipline so you'd probably not want to put any quality runs after quality bikes... but other than that its about training the body to handle the stress. If you ease into it, your body should respond. You wouldn't want to go from where you are to where you want to be right away unless you have a strong history of training and your past data supports that.

If things are structured correctly, you should be able to go through week to week getting active recovery sets.. adding quality sets.. and building total stress in a specific manner that allows your body to respond to race day needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: In between Ironman 70.3 races / Recovery - new training plan, etc? [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddalzell wrote:

In a nutshell:
Nail pacing down

Thanks!

I'll start easy as you recommended and go from there.
Quote Reply