Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SBR in Winter Garden, Clermont FL?
Quote | Reply
Quick road trip and was wondering if anyone has ideas for training. I see the Training Center doesn't honor passes for this timeframe, so anyone know swim venues other than Lucky's? Does the YM Aquatic Center have day passes? Also bike routes ? It's been a long time since I've been there so I figured Clermont has built up a lot. I thought I'd check the wizards if ST first. Thanks in advance!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Mar 21, 17 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Park, Clermont FL? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you plan on staying? Lucky's is primo right now fwiw ;) I'm not terribly creative when it comes to bike routes but you should be aware it's gotten a bit built-up/busy. Lately I've been taking the West Orange Trail to Hancock Road, do a few hill repeats, continue west to Lake Mineola and then continue west for another 6-7 miles to the terminus. Ends up being about 14 miles each way with the hills repeats thrown in. Last year I dated a girl who lived in Clermont and we used to ride north from somewhere between Lake Mineola and Hancock Road but I don't remember the exact route.

I live in Windermere so I do my running along Apopka Vineland road.

Lucky might be able to get you a day pass to the aquatic center. I don't go there anymore because it's 20 minutes each way from my house due to the traffic :(

Feel free to hit me up for restaurant recommendations ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winter Park isn't CLermont -- 45 minutes between 'em.

I used to go to UCF. Generally, any of the backwoodsy road east of the university are great for some riding.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam at the Traing Center two weeks ago - got a day pass for $15. I also emailed the Masters coach ahead of time and he was very welcoming. Is the facility closed for some reason when you're going to be there?

It's set up LCM Thurs through Sun which is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure where you'll be but if you're in East Orlando check out our group for rides https://www.facebook.com/groups/eastsidecycle/. Also if you're closer to Winter Park there's some notoriously hard and fast rides like Lakemont on Saturday mornings. This lists a lot also: http://www.orlandocyclingmagazine.com/rides.html
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Park, Clermont FL? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mistake, staying in Winter Garden. I used to ride from Clermont up towards Howey in the Hills, but not sure if that area is safe. I was aware of the Windermere Roadies, and remember that being pretty fast. I'll also have a tri bike, so might not be terribly welcome.

We have an Airbnb but am always interested in good restaurants. I thought maybe paella at the Columbia in Celebration? I hear there's a decent micro brewery in Winter Garden?

GreenPlease wrote:
Where do you plan on staying? Lucky's is primo right now fwiw ;) I'm not terribly creative when it comes to bike routes but you should be aware it's gotten a bit built-up/busy. Lately I've been taking the West Orange Trail to Hancock Road, do a few hill repeats, continue west to Lake Mineola and then continue west for another 6-7 miles to the terminus. Ends up being about 14 miles each way with the hills repeats thrown in. Last year I dated a girl who lived in Clermont and we used to ride north from somewhere between Lake Mineola and Hancock Road but I don't remember the exact route.

I live in Windermere so I do my running along Apopka Vineland road.

Lucky might be able to get you a day pass to the aquatic center. I don't go there anymore because it's 20 minutes each way from my house due to the traffic :(

Feel free to hit me up for restaurant recommendations ;)
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Park, Clermont FL? [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the suggestions. I checked the website at the NTC and they said they were not honoring passes for Spring Break times in fairness to members. I have a buddy who has been down there for a couple of months and he said it was stopping passes too. The aquatic Center looks really nice, but I'm not a Y member so not sure I could access. I remember a decent Y at Doctor Philips too? Join for a week?

kells wrote:
I swam at the Traing Center two weeks ago - got a day pass for $15. I also emailed the Masters coach ahead of time and he was very welcoming. Is the facility closed for some reason when you're going to be there?

It's set up LCM Thurs through Sun which is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that's too bad. Beautiful pool and there was no one in it!

I also swam at the Dr. Phillips Y when I was there - again I went through Masters, was invited to come any time for practice and got in for free. I'm not a YMCA member. Worst case you can do their trial pass or whatever it is. It was a nice 25 yard outdoor pool with some deep water.

I also swam at the Orlando YMCA Aquatic Center which I did not like at all. Indoors, dingy, pool needs an upgrade. I'm shocked they have national level meets there. Day passes are readily available there.

I was in Orlando for four days for a conference and as you can see it was more of a swim tour...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right down the road from you in Dr. Phillips

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Garden, Clermont FL? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Quick road trip and was wondering if anyone has ideas for training. I see the Training Center doesn't honor passes for this timeframe, so anyone know swim venues other than Lucky's? Does the YM Aquatic Center have day passes? Also bike routes ? It's been a long time since I've been there so I figured Clermont has built up a lot. I thought I'd check the wizards if ST first. Thanks in advance!

If you in Winter Garden, you have the trail--no brainer. We have a group that rides out in Dr. Phillips on Sat. and Sun. through Bayhill and the surrounding neighborhoods. Little to no traffic. They're fine with tri bikes.

There's a group called AT TRI team that does bricks out in the Winter Garden area each weekend and occasionally starting at Lucky's. You can look them up on FB or I can send you a contact email.

The Roper YMCA is the closest to Winter Garden for swimming don't know about day passes, but you should be able to get a guest pass. The Aquatic Center is closed this week for AG Nationals, but when it's open, there's plenty of lanes and they do offer day passes. It'll be a drive for you though.

You can also swim the lake at Clermont's Waterfront Park anytime. Just google it.

Winter Garden microbrewery and market are overrated, IMO. It's some local hipster thing, and since WG is in the process of converting from country to "trendy," it's the only place like it.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For brunch, go to 1921 in Mount Dora. I've been to 47 states and it's the best brunch I've had yet. For Mexican go to Fronterra Cocina in Disney Springs and be sure to get the Sikil Pak. It's far from a tourist trap restaurant fyi. Rick Baylis developed the menu and the food is very comparable to the Fronterra in Chicago.

I can't remember the name of that micro brewery in Winter Garden but, yes, it is quite good.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Park, Clermont FL? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:

You swim at Lucky's?
Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Garden, Clermont FL? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Crooked Can is awesome, esp after a long training ride. The West Orange Trail is nice, but it gets pretty packed on the wknds making it difficult to go fast and/or keep a steady pace.

My recommendations:
  • Lucky's Lake is a must do
  • Van Fleet Trail (no traffic, no turns, no elevation change. Great for pacing intervals, but can get boring)
  • For more elevation change include the following roads for any ride near Clermont: Dewey Robbins, Buckhill, Sugarloaf Mt Rd, Cherry Lake Rd.

Send a msg if you need more details.

Good luck and stay safe out there!

http://myaccount.trisports.com/...?referralCode=RUBJFW
Use code "SHARE15" for 15% off your order!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
way2sloow wrote:

You swim at Lucky's?

Maybe once or twice a month right now while it's dark. Been doing a lot of pool work. Do you?

Quote Reply
Re: SBR in Winter Park, Clermont FL? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
way2sloow wrote:

You swim at Lucky's?

Maybe once or twice a month right now while it's dark. Been doing a lot of pool work. Do you?

Every weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll PM next time I head over there.

Quote Reply