Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cincinnati or bust! Made it home!
Quote | Reply
Currently 3 days into a 10-day Adventure, rode the bike out of Cincinnati on Sunday morning taking back roads all the way, currently in Fort Lauderdale. My wife flies in tonight and then we go on down to Key West for 3 nights then I will ride back home solo.

Nope not a 10 speed, a 6 speed Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra.

Been dry so far, who knows what kind of weather I'll get going back home though.... but in the words of Ted Kennedy I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: justgeorge: Mar 28, 17 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Key West or bust [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife loves Key West. I don't get it. I can get drunk anywhere, I get enough Jimmy Buffet after a concert. The keys are a bizarre place. Most of them might as well be redneck Florida. The people in places like Marathon and Key Largo could easily live in the Panhandle or Polk County where I lived. It IS OLD Florida. Then you have Key West which is full of derelicts, burnouts, hippies and other losers who don't fit in anywhere else.

With that said, I miss Florida sometimes. If I moved back, I would definitely be in SoFlo or St Petersburg. Maybe if I'm over 60 when I return, I'll go to Fort Myers and wait to die there.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Key West or bust [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The appeal of Key West to us is the activities available, namely access to camping on Dry Tortugas. Awesome experience. But the day trips out on the sailing catamarans snorkeling and kayaking and unlimited drinks/ food all day are fun, too. Wouldn't go if I just sat on land the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are taking the bike to Key West, then consider this:

Take the Card Sound Road, from just south of Homestead, to the northern tip of the Keys. It's the old road. Scenic Hwy. But most important, make a stop at Alabama Jack's for a refreshment. You'll thank me later.

Be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
Currently 3 days into a 10-day Adventure, rode the bike out of Cincinnati on Sunday morning taking back roads all the way, currently in Fort Lauderdale. My wife flies in tonight and then we go on down to Key West for 3 nights then I will ride back home solo.

Nope not a 10 speed, a 6 speed Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra.

Been dry so far, who knows what kind of weather I'll get going back home though.... but in the words of Ted Kennedy I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.
fuck , that sounds awesome

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got your bike cruise in, do yourself a favor and take your wife out for a sunset sail around Key West one evening. We like Sebago- the crew is friendly and cost is reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: Key West or bust [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a road in Virginia that I went through entirely by accident. But it was awesome!

backofthedragon.com

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: justgeorge: Mar 23, 17 4:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been through there. Didn't know it had a name. Went to school a couple counties away. Even banged a couple chicks from the neighboring counties off and on. One was a stripper. That specific area outside of Blacksburg is meth and pill popping alley before it became more common.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Key West or bust [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
If you are taking the bike to Key West, then consider this:

Take the Card Sound Road, from just south of Homestead, to the northern tip of the Keys. It's the old road. Scenic Hwy. But most important, make a stop at Alabama Jack's for a refreshment. You'll thank me later.

Be safe.

if you do this, be aware of cyclists. i and many others bike this route and close calls are way too common.
Quote Reply
Re: Cincinnati or bust! [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Headed home now, made it 560 miles today to Perry, FL. No interstates but a decent amount of four-lane divided Highway with 65 mile-an-hour speed limit.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply