Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain?
Quote | Reply
My bottom bracket is starting to make noises prob. due to the bearings wearing out, my LBS said that constant use and strain associated with riding indoors (on my Kickr) leads to premature wear on your BB. Is this true and if so what can be done to prevent this? Get a better (ceramic) based BB? I have a cheapo one that came with my P2 which I think is an FSA (cost $30). Just wondering if folks have the same issue.

Also, does frequent use require more chain swaps? I assume constant grinding (I'm on the big ring 90% of the time) so not sure if that's an issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the more you use the chain regardless of trainer or not, you will wear it out. Be sure to check it fairly frequently or as it stretches, it will damage your cassette, and then you will be replacing both.

In regards to the the BB, I've never heard of indoor riding causing a problem. It may just be time for a new one or a service. One thing to be careful of with indoor riding is sweat getting everywhere and potentially corroding metal parts. I don't think that a ceramic BB is any more durable, they claim to have less resistance but I think the testing has shown it is a very small amount like <1W (don't quote me on that number) making the $'s/energy savings not that great.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
So the more you use the chain regardless of trainer or not, you will wear it out. Be sure to check it fairly frequently or as it stretches, it will damage your cassette, and then you will be replacing both.

In regards to the the BB, I've never heard of indoor riding causing a problem. It may just be time for a new one or a service. One thing to be careful of with indoor riding is sweat getting everywhere and potentially corroding metal parts. I don't think that a ceramic BB is any more durable, they claim to have less resistance but I think the testing has shown it is a very small amount like <1W (don't quote me on that number) making the $'s/energy savings not that great.

is the only way to check the chain is with the chain measurement tool or are there other signs to be aware of?

I've already had my previous BB replaced as the bearings were worn out. On the new BB, I've only done a full IM and maybe 20 miles of outdoor riding and maybe 300 miles on the trainer and its already slowly making the same noise as the previous BB .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not keeping sweat out of your BB it could go out that fast. BB should be properly greased and sealed, and put a towel over your top tube to keep sweat from dropping on it. Sweat on the chain will also wear it out more quickly if you're not cleaning and regreasing the chain regularly even while riding the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
jsoderman wrote:

is the only way to check the chain is with the chain measurement tool or are there other signs to be aware of?

I've already had my previous BB replaced as the bearings were worn out. On the new BB, I've only done a full IM and maybe 20 miles of outdoor riding and maybe 300 miles on the trainer and its already slowly making the same noise as the previous BB .

You can measure a chain for stretch, but then you are eyeballing with a ruler to see if it is 1/16th or 1/8th longer than an even inch.
This
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1030356_-1_400140__400140
is $8 and much easier.

Sounds like that BB is making noise waayy too early. They should last a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the more you do anything, the faster is wears out.

Ride less?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ceramic bottom bracket bearings are not better.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However, full ceramic balls and races do not corrode when exposed to sweat and salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of the so called ceramic bearings for push bikes are full ceramic.
Usually just the balls.
Good way to separate fools from their money.

If the BB is wearing out that quickly there is a fitting issue or a frame misalignment issue.

I bet it is BB30 and is just creaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Usually just the balls.

If the BB is wearing out that quickly there is a fitting issue or a frame misalignment issue.

It's a BBright PF30 maybe the same? My bike was fitted so I haven't had issues w/that but can you qualify what you mean by a frame misalignment? This is on a 2015 P2 btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only way that could be true is from sweat.

But it doesn't matter. BB is cheap and easily replaced. Chain too. Throw a towel over the top tube stem basebar that area if you are worried about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
Usually just the balls.

It's a BBright PF30 maybe the same? My bike was fitted so I haven't had issues w/that but can you qualify what you mean by a frame misalignment? This is on a 2015 P2 btw.

He probably means that your LBS isn't doing a great job with your replacement pressfit BB installation. Even out of context, their claim that trainer riding is going to cause premature bottom bracket failure is stupid. Considering you only have 300 miles of trainer riding on your new BB, their claim is even crazier.

If you have access to another shop that works with Cervelo I'd consider taking your bike there and getting a new BB pressed in.

Chains are much cheaper than anything else in your drivetrain. You should be able to get a couple thousand miles out of one with minimal maintenance. Big ring use isn't going to wear it faster - the larger front ring and larger rear cog use yield lower chain friction. But if in doubt, just get a new chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bottom bracket should last at least 10,000 miles.

Probably something wrong with the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a P2 and a plastic housing BBright bottom bracket the installation can easily be screwed up so it ends up creaking while the frame dimensions meet the manufacturer specs. Typically canting the shells back and forth during insertion. These Cervelos are part of the origin of using Loctite bearing retaining compound and primer to try and prevent BB creaking.

Lots of PF30 and BBright BB installations that don't come anywhere near lasting 10k miles. That might not mean the bearings are gone, but the rider can't take the noise anymore...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my P2 on my KickR for 2 winters now without any problems. I put a cheapo SRAM 1050 chain on at the beginning of the winter and it lasts until I get outside where I switch to a 1070 or 1090 chain.. I might lube the trainer chain twice all winter. Simply doesn't get dirty indoors. My stock kickr cassette still looks new with 1000+ hours. As for the creaking you might just need to reassemble and clean everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I adjust the resistance on the trainer, to ensure I have a good chain-line for a given effort.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [JBcycl1st] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBcycl1st wrote:
I've had my P2 on my KickR for 2 winters now without any problems. I put a cheapo SRAM 1050 chain on at the beginning of the winter and it lasts until I get outside where I switch to a 1070 or 1090 chain.. I might lube the trainer chain twice all winter. Simply doesn't get dirty indoors. My stock kickr cassette still looks new with 1000+ hours. As for the creaking you might just need to reassemble and clean everything.

Interesting, I never thought about using a winter/indoor chain and a outdoor chain.

I also was told by the LBS that the BB's were more prone to failure's on Cervelo's and unfortunately Cervelo won't warranty the items , not sure if there is any fact to this but I need to reach out to them and see if the replacement BB can at least be warrantied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bottom bracket only costs $20 to $30, so it might not be worth your time.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks this was recorded last year on my p2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-FkjkFLu2E

Mine doens't sound this bad yet but its already making the noise every so often.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... definitely something but it could be a lot of things. Is your front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your crank arm? Had that happen once and I was tightening stuff on my cranks, messing with the BB, seat post, etc. and it was the derailleur cable hitting the crank arm.

Lots of things can make BB like sounds as I alluded to above in that area of the bike. I'd pull the cranks and see if there is any play or hitches in the BB bearings.

I'd find it odd that they would wear out this quickly if they are quality BB bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its a cheapo $20 FSA BB that came with the P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Rotor 4630 BB on my P2 did the same thing at the end of last season.

When I took it apart it appeared that the bearing on the non-drive side was being crushed.

I had my machine shop take .003" out of it, the bearings fit better but I haven't put it back in yet since I bought a Wheels Manufacturing PF30/BBright
Quote Reply
Re: Riding indoors - excessive wear on my BB/chain? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
My Rotor 4630 BB on my P2 did the same thing at the end of last season.

When I took it apart it appeared that the bearing on the non-drive side was being crushed.

I had my machine shop take .003" out of it, the bearings fit better but I haven't put it back in yet since I bought a Wheels Manufacturing PF30/BBright

Same issue as me with the non drive side! Perhaps this is problem endemic to P2's?

Anyway I had considered the WM BB's. which one do you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even a cheap bottom bracket should last 10,000 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PF30 ABEC-3 BB (BLACK)

http://wheelsmfg.com/...abec-3-bb-black.html

I haven't ridden the bike since I put it in last month. It's still hanging on the wall but it feels really smooth like a new BB should.
Quote Reply