Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The specialized shoe cover can be purchased separately for $25 on their website.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any updates on the shoes

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
any updates on the shoes

I just dropped off the molds in the mail today. I am not sure on the mid-foot cleat. I had the worst bike of my life at Texas but unsure how much was acute fatigue, lack of fitness, or lack of adjustment period played rolls. I marked the molds for mid-foot cleats regardless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
What does your foot position look like throughout the pedal stroke? Can CFD even model that (foot angle changes through a pedal stroke) at a "hobby" level?
CFD in general is not much better than a paint programme when it comes to any sort of complex airflow unless the person using it knows their fluid mechanics (not just rule of thumb stuff) and knows how to select and test the mesh and model type to suit the problem. What a lot of people don't appreciate is that CFD is NOT a full model of fluid mechanics. In order to solve the Navier-Stokes eqns you MUST make assumptions and simplifications. If you have a good understanding of the mechanics you can do this rationally and with some expectation of accuracy. Otherwise, CFD often gives you lots of numbers and pretty pictures but they may bear no more resemblance to reality than a half informed guess.

My point is: It's not access to software that is the main problem. It's access to the expertise to use it effectively. Lots of people have the software, far fewer can make effective use of it and produce data of actual value.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP ME Design My Aero Shoe Version 2.0 - Anyone with CFD Access??? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

CFD in general is not much better than a paint programme when it comes to any sort of complex airflow unless the person using it knows their fluid mechanics (not just rule of thumb stuff) and knows how to select and test the mesh and model type to suit the problem. What a lot of people don't appreciate is that CFD is NOT a full model of fluid mechanics. In order to solve the Navier-Stokes eqns you MUST make assumptions and simplifications. If you have a good understanding of the mechanics you can do this rationally and with some expectation of accuracy. Otherwise, CFD often gives you lots of numbers and pretty pictures but they may bear no more resemblance to reality than a half informed guess.

My point is: It's not access to software that is the main problem. It's access to the expertise to use it effectively. Lots of people have the software, far fewer can make effective use of it and produce data of actual value.

"CFD is easy. CFD you trust is hard." (Wish I knew who to credit for that quote.)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next