Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Plan Help (Oceanside)
Quote | Reply
I've recently found myself in a bit of a pickle. We are now less than two weeks out from the race and I don't know what pacing I can sustain. I am usually much more prepared, but was in an auto-bike accident in September '16 and have only been able to start to train the last 3 months.

I went out these past two weekends to test out my pacing with about 80% of the race distance and my pacing strategy based off of training times. I did swim both weekends. Weekend 1 was an ocean swim of about the race distance. Weekend 2 was a pool swim of about 80% race distance.

The first test was done with an IF of about 0.85 on the bike. Legs felt a bit tired, but in decent shape by the end. I went out and started the run slightly slower than my half marathon PR (which was on a hilly course). I made it about half way and was completely gassed. After turning around, my pace dropped off pretty quickly to 1:30 slower per mile (FWIW, run IF was 0.86).

On weekend 2 I planned to reduce my bike IF to 0.8 and to start my run pace at my average pace from the prior weekend. Well, my power meter batteries died 20 minutes into the bike, so I had to ride on RPE and HR the remainder of the ride, but I definitely rode much easier. Average HR was lower and RPE was in-line with my power at (guessing) 0.78-0.8 IF. I also started the run slower. Yet, I experienced the same thing. About half-way through, I was completely gassed and had to slow considerably (run IF was 0.82).

Nutrition was the same both weekends, which is the same plan I've used the last 3 years of racing (infinite nutrition).

I now have absolutely no confidence leading into the race and am looking for any advice from the collective here. Please help give me something that can help my confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Plan Help (Oceanside) [Crispy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No percentages are going to add up all the way for you... best way to see what you can do is to try it in training.

sounds like the cycling portion is alright.. the problem is the run. If you can't maintain that pace in training then you won't be able to on race day. Best to back it off even further.

Due to being about 10 days out.. either today or tomorrow I might do a 3x20 race pace wattage with a 5 mile run progressing down to goal race pace the last 3 miles (slower than you have been running) to build confidence... but I'd only do that if your fitness supports it and it doesn't put you in a hole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply